Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe so, but what did either really do for us?  Bryant was part of a Big Ten Championship and Sweet 16 team, but Yogi was the face of the team that year.  Vonleh coming here hurt the program more than it helped.

So Yogi was the face, that's accurate and fine, but at the same time that team is a fringe bubble team without Bryant. He was a huge, huge reason why that season ended as successful as it did. 

I'm also not really sure the distinction you're trying to draw between Langford and Zeller? Both we're/are unassuming players that lead with their actions, effort and character. Neither are rah-rah, in your face guys, and should Langford pick IU he'll have a similar impact on recruiting as Zeller did. Whether the guys that came to IU partly because of Zeller were successful or not isn't on Zeller. The fact is Zeller, along with Oladipo, made it cool to come to IU again. They gave IU, along with Vonleh, guys that IU could point to as being lottery picks coming from IU as a real possibility. It's not Zeller and Oladipo's fault that Crean couldn't capitalize on it.  

I think Langford's impact could actually be greater long-term. If he comes to IU and pans out as well as we think he can, his long-term impact on the program could be a sort of combination Vic/Zeller. He'll have the hometown impact of Zeller combined with the NBA success of Vic. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Friends, Region Rats, and IU fans, the world over.  I come here not to bury Kansas, but to praise them.  A long and proud basketball tradition. Second in overall wins. But then just as with UK... look at the conference they have been playing in for years.

Like many, today, Chris Taylor, only looks at recent history.  While jumping over the fact that KU lost their last meeting to IU in Hawaii, in overtime 103-99, as you so aptly point out IUCrazy2.

Let's take a deeper look into the histories of these two proud basketball schools and traditions. And go back to the year.... 1940.  It was IU and KU in the NCAAT National Championship game.  IU comes away with the victory. 60-42.  Jump to 1953. And low and behold. It's IU and KU again.  Two proud proud programs, playing in the National Championship... AGAIN !   And IU comes away with the trophy... AGAIN !  69-68.  Close, but no cigar for KU.

Talk about coming close.  KU has been in 8 National Championship games. Yet has only brought the trophy home 3 times.  While IU has been to just 6 National Championship games,  IU has brought the trophy home 5 of those times.

And one last thing, before dismissing IU.... take a look at the overall series record, between your Jayhawks and the Hoosiers.  IU leads 7-6

So, Mr. Chris Taylor. Before you dish IU, in a feeble attempt to steer perhaps the best current prep Senior your way.... just know, historically there is every bit the reason, that Romeo should choose IU over KU.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traditions run deep and long.  IU's first Assembly Hall :

Indiana_University_Gymnasium.jpg

 

While IU does have an 8-6 overall record against Kansas, since 1981 they have  pretty much owned us.   They knocked us out of the NCAA Tournament twice in the early 90's.  Even though I am a die hard Hoosier fan, I do not take offense to Taylor's comment "... at a severely less talented program like Indiana ..."    What have we done over the past 20+ yrs that makes one think that we are on the same level as consistently good programs - Kansas, Duke, NC, Mich. St. ?

IU vs KANSAS

8-6

3/30/40^ W  60-42 Kansas City - NCAA Champ

3/18/53^ W  69-68 Kansas City - NCAA Champ

12/6/71   W  59-56 Bloomington

12/5/72   W  72-55 Lawrence

12/5/73   W  72-59 Bloomington

12/4/74  W  74-70* Lawrence

12/29/81 L  61-71 New York

3/21/91   L  65-83 Charlotte – Sweet 16

12/5/92   L  69-74 Indianapolis

3/27/93    L 77-83 St. Louis – Elite 8

12/22/93  L 83-86* Lawrence

12/17/94 W 80-61 Bloomington

12/16/95  L 83-91 Kansas City

11/11/16 W 103-99 (OT) Honolulu

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe so, but what did either really do for us?  Bryant was part of a Big Ten Championship and Sweet 16 team, but Yogi was the face of the team that year.  Vonleh coming here hurt the program more than it helped.

Don’t blame Vonleh for Creans inadequate ability to surround him with talent. It was one of the toughest Hoosier teams to watch in the past 20 years, but it wasn’t the result of Vonleh. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Houston_Hoosier said:

While IU does have an 8-6 overall record against Kansas, since 1981 they have  pretty much owned us.   They knocked us out of the NCAA Tournament twice in the early 90's.  Even though I am a die hard Hoosier fan, I do not take offense to Taylor's comment "... at a severely less talented program like Indiana ..."    What have we done over the past 20+ yrs that makes one think that we are on the same level as consistently good programs - Kansas, Duke, NC, Mich. St. ?

IU vs KANSAS

 

8-6

 

3/30/40^ W  60-42 Kansas City - NCAA Champ

 

3/18/53^ W  69-68 Kansas City - NCAA Champ

 

12/6/71   W  59-56 Bloomington

 

12/5/72   W  72-55 Lawrence

 

12/5/73   W  72-59 Bloomington

 

12/4/74  W  74-70* Lawrence

 

12/29/81 L  61-71 New York

 

3/21/91   L  65-83 Charlotte – Sweet 16

 

12/5/92   L  69-74 Indianapolis

 

3/27/93    L 77-83 St. Louis – Elite 8

 

12/22/93  L 83-86* Lawrence

 

12/17/94 W 80-61 Bloomington

 

12/16/95  L 83-91 Kansas City

 

11/11/16 W 103-99 (OT) Honolulu

 

 

Since, according to your data, IU has played Kansas exactly once in the last 22 years, and won that one, rather than claiming that "since 1981, they have pretty much owned us", it would be more accurate to say that for a twelve year period ending almost a quarter of a century ago, they pretty much owned us.  And while that's perhaps of historical interest, I'm sure Romeo cares more about the strength of the two teams next year, and it's certainly debatable whether IU will be "severely less talented" then than Kansas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Houston_Hoosier said:

While IU does have an 8-6 overall record against Kansas, since 1981 they have  pretty much owned us.   They knocked us out of the NCAA Tournament twice in the early 90's.  Even though I am a die hard Hoosier fan, I do not take offense to Taylor's comment "... at a severely less talented program like Indiana ..."    What have we done over the past 20+ yrs that makes one think that we are on the same level as consistently good programs - Kansas, Duke, NC, Mich. St. ?

IU vs KANSAS

 

8-6

 

3/30/40^ W  60-42 Kansas City - NCAA Champ

 

3/18/53^ W  69-68 Kansas City - NCAA Champ

 

12/6/71   W  59-56 Bloomington

 

12/5/72   W  72-55 Lawrence

 

12/5/73   W  72-59 Bloomington

 

12/4/74  W  74-70* Lawrence

 

12/29/81 L  61-71 New York

 

3/21/91   L  65-83 Charlotte – Sweet 16

 

12/5/92   L  69-74 Indianapolis

 

3/27/93    L 77-83 St. Louis – Elite 8

 

12/22/93  L 83-86* Lawrence

 

12/17/94 W 80-61 Bloomington

 

12/16/95  L 83-91 Kansas City

 

11/11/16 W 103-99 (OT) Honolulu

 

 

So they owned us in the early 90s, which matters more than other periods? They’ve essentially won one title since we both won titles in the late 80s. They’ve had better results conference-wise no doubt, but in a much weaker conference historically. “Severely less talented program” is absolutely garbage and a ploy to Langford. That guy can’t in his right mind truly believe what he’s saying. I could argue that Kansas has been one of the most overrated and disappointing teams on a yearly basis. As many times they’ve been a one seed and failed is straight comical. And no way they have that one seed streak playing in the Big10 yearly.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Now, Romeo is considered to be the leader of a 'movement' to bring players to IU. 

Ah, the ‘ol movement.  Assuming Romeo does commit and starts a dominoe effect, I propose we coin it “the transition” or something else.  The movement just brings on not very fond memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Since, according to your data, IU has played Kansas exactly once in the last 22 years, and won that one, rather than claiming that "since 1981, they have pretty much owned us", it would be more accurate to say that for a twelve year period ending almost a quarter of a century ago, they pretty much owned us.  And while that's perhaps of historical interest, I'm sure Romeo cares more about the strength of the two teams next year, and it's certainly debatable whether IU will be "severely less talented" then than Kansas.

As the rosters are currently constructed without Romeo, I think it’s fair to say that IU is severely less talented than Kansas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Ah, the ‘ol movement.  Assuming Romeo does commit and starts a dominoe effect, I propose we coin it “the transition” or something else.  The movement just brings on not very fond memories.

Romeo Renaissance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Ah, the ‘ol movement.  Assuming Romeo does commit and starts a dominoe effect, I propose we coin it “the transition” or something else.  The movement just brings on not very fond memories.

Every time I hear The Movement...

 

Taco Bell.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

As the rosters are currently constructed without Romeo, I think it’s fair to say that IU is severely less talented than Kansas.

I don't.  He could have stopped at less talented and I would have agreed and not thought he was an arrogant douchebag,

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Ah, the ‘ol movement.  Assuming Romeo does commit and starts a dominoe effect, I propose we coin it “the transition” or something else.  The movement just brings on not very fond memories.

I had a movement earlier today and I enjoyed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A year ago there was a lot of discussion about Romeo being a follower, and how he would allow Darius Garland to lead the way to their college destination.  No, the narrative is the exact opposite.  Now, Romeo is considered to be the leader of a 'movement' to bring players to IU.

I think the real impact is somewhere in between.  Romeo's choice will be his, and it will be based on what he feels is best for his long-term future.  Once that choice is made, you will not see Romeo out campaigning others to join him, however.  If there is a trickle-down effect, it's because people respect Romeo both on and off the court, not because they want to 'be where he is at'.

I don't see a Cody type effect here.  And, let's be honest, other than Yogi, who did Cody draw in that amounted to anything.  I see more of a Calbert Cheaney effect.  Romeo will immediately make us better on the court.  He will be our top scorer.  He will be a player the others defer to in the tough moments.  But, he will go about his business with grace, dignity, and respect of those around him.  Cheaney was the leader of some great IU teams,  Romeo can be the same.  But, just like Cheaney had Graham, Bailey, Henderson, Anderson, etc. as an outstanding supporting cast, Romeo will need the same.  He won't lift IU to elite status by himself.   

Naah. Cody’s impact was huge. Be honest? When Cody joined, first 5 star for Crean and a big time IN player, he opened IN recruiting in large part. He was huge, you don’t just look at his class. I’m not really following your distinction with Romeo or implication I’m saying he’ll go out and recruit. I didn’t say that. I’m saying he, much like Cody was for IU under Crean, would be a huge IN recruiting land that will likely put IU back square in the middle of the big time IN recruiting map 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The list of programs I hate is growing daily. 

To which I say.... "Don't hate the program." "Hate the fan base."

Regardless.... mrflynn03... I must say you have been a great addition to Hoosier Sports Nation... the last edition !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@milehiiu

Thats a better way to put it.  When I typed program I was thinking of another recent addition to my list in Michigan State.  

Thanks,  wish I found HSN sooner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So they owned us in the early 90s, which matters more than other periods? They’ve essentially won one title since we both won titles in the late 80s. They’ve had better results conference-wise no doubt, but in a much weaker conference historically. “Severely less talented program” is absolutely garbage and a ploy to Langford. That guy can’t in his right mind truly believe what he’s saying. I could argue that Kansas has been one of the most overrated and disappointing teams on a yearly basis. As many times they’ve been a one seed and failed is straight comical. And no way they have that one seed streak playing in the Big10 yearly.

It matters no more than referencing the 1940 &1953 seasons in the original post.  He picked a short time period...as did I.

According to Sports-reference.com, since the 1996-97 season - 1st year of Big 12 play :

The Big 10 has sent 128 teams to the tournament,  Big 12 125 teams

Number of schools ranked in the final AP top 25 - Big 10 76 teams,  Big-12 73 teams

Average SRS -  Big 10  12.07;  Big 12 11.68

Average SOS - Big 10 8.28;  Big 12 7.48

I don't know if the above numbers defines a conference as a  much weaker conference historically

Yes, Kansas has been a big disappointment come tournament time on a regular basis.   But I would rather have a team in the national discussion consistently as opposed to one where the topic is "wonder if we will make the NIT"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Houston_Hoosier said:

It matters no more than referencing the 1940 &1953 seasons in the original post.  He picked a short time period...as did I.

According to Sports-reference.com, since the 1996-97 season - 1st year of Big 12 play :

The Big 10 has sent 128 teams to the tournament,  Big 12 125 teams

Number of schools ranked in the final AP top 25 - Big 10 76 teams,  Big-12 73 teams

Average SRS -  Big 10  12.07;  Big 12 11.68

Average SOS - Big 10 8.28;  Big 12 7.48

I don't know if the above numbers defines a conference as a  much weaker conference historically

Yes, Kansas has been a big disappointment come tournament time on a regular basis.   But I would rather have a team in the national discussion consistently as opposed to one where the topic is "wonder if we will make the NIT"

I wonder what those numbers look like if you remove IU and Kansas from the equation.  How much did Kansas hold those numbers up by continuing to be Kansas and how much did we drag down by not being IU...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Houston_Hoosier said:

It matters no more than referencing the 1940 &1953 seasons in the original post.  He picked a short time period...as did I.

According to Sports-reference.com, since the 1996-97 season - 1st year of Big 12 play :

The Big 10 has sent 128 teams to the tournament,  Big 12 125 teams

Number of schools ranked in the final AP top 25 - Big 10 76 teams,  Big-12 73 teams

Average SRS -  Big 10  12.07;  Big 12 11.68

Average SOS - Big 10 8.28;  Big 12 7.48

I don't know if the above numbers defines a conference as a  much weaker conference historically

Yes, Kansas has been a big disappointment come tournament time on a regular basis.   But I would rather have a team in the national discussion consistently as opposed to one where the topic is "wonder if we will make the NIT"

Better put.....who else in the Big12 has had consistent success outside of Kansas over the last 30 years? Now name Big10 teams that fit the bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I can't believe this thread went 4 hours without a post. 

I was just staring at the screen in amazement thinking the same thing. We must be in a news blackout period.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×