Romeo Langford

Not sure if this has been addressed or discussed, but does Romeo have an issue with his right wrist? From what I can tell, he has it taped whenever he plays. Even in the new pics of the freshman workouts it is taped. I'm not saying I'm concerned, but thoughts of Eric Gordon come to mind when his injury affected his shooting later on in his freshman year.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Not sure if this has been addressed or discussed, but does Romeo have an issue with his right wrist? From what I can tell, he has it taped whenever he plays. Even in the new pics of the freshman workouts it is taped. I'm not saying I'm concerned, but thoughts of Eric Gordon come to mind when his injury affected his shooting later on in his freshman year.

He hurt his wrist when playing that team from Cincinnati and it did effect his shooting.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:59 PM, Tru123dt said:

He hurt his wrist when playing that team from Cincinnati and it did effect his shooting.

That was his left wrist, correct? I could have sworn the pictures of him working out at IU shows him wearing tape on his right wrist.

Espn insiders have him going #5

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/23856080/2019-nba-mock-draft-projecting-rj-barrett-zion-williamson-prospects-pick

Seems like the prevailing opinion is that he will stay 2 years, but if he's a likely high lottery pick like this at the end of the season, does that really seem likely? 

When you're projected that high, with the guaranteed salary and opportunity to realize your dream and hit the ground running in today's shooters' NBA, the likelihood of passing that over is really low.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/23856080/2019-nba-mock-draft-projecting-rj-barrett-zion-williamson-prospects-pick

Seems like the prevailing opinion is that he will stay 2 years, but if he's a likely high lottery pick like this at the end of the season, does that really seem likely? 

When you're projected that high, with the guaranteed salary and opportunity to realize your dream and hit the ground running in today's shooters' NBA, the likelihood of passing that over is really low.

When you say prevailing opinion I think you mean 5fouls.

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

When you say prevailing opinion I think you mean 5fouls.

Fouls knows all!

😀

Kidding aside, Fouls has been dead on re the Romeo recruitment. Maybe our multi-marriage obsessed soul knows something about RL -- but yeah, have to think if he's lottery - bound, he's headed for the draft (after leading us deep) --

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If he's a guaranteed top 5 pick, he will go.  If he's a 13-20 pick, expect him to stay.

The thing some of you don't give Romeo enough credit for is having a good head on his shoulders.  He's not going to be in a rush to make his millions and go to the NBA prematurely and turn out like Ben McLemore, just because he is projected lottery.  He's much more likely to wait a year or two in order to be ready to contribute at a high level.  Klay Thompson would be a great comparison.  Romeo does not have Klay's shot, but he may be more offensively diverse than Klay.  In any event, Klay had three very good years in college and could have left a year before he did.  I don't expect Romeo to stay 3 years, but if you asked me about a sophomore year, I think the odds favor it at this time.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The thing some of you don't give Romeo enough credit for is having a good head on his shoulders.  He's not going to be in a rush to make his millions and go to the NBA prematurely and turn out like Ben McLemore, just because he is projected lottery.  He's much more likely to wait a year or two in order to be ready to contribute at a high level.  Klay Thompson would be a great comparison.  Romeo does not have Klay's shot, but he may be more offensively diverse than Klay.  In any event, Klay had three very good years in college and could have left a year before he did.  I don't expect Romeo to stay 3 years, but if you asked me about a sophomore year, I think the odds favor it at this time.

I have been putting his sophomore year likelihood at 50/50.  I am not sure of next year's draft depth, but I believe I read it will not be as deep as the years that sandwich it.  If that draft is shallow, even if he projects top 5 and Romeo's game is not where HE wants it to be, I believe he WILL return.  Call me crazy.

1 hour ago, PoHoosier said:

I have been putting his sophomore year likelihood at 50/50.  I am not sure of next year's draft depth, but I believe I read it will not be as deep as the years that sandwich it.  If that draft is shallow, even if he projects top 5 and Romeo's game is not where HE wants it to be, I believe he WILL return.  Call me crazy.

Crazy. 🙂

Call it 10/90 for me. 

I think it’s better for the program if he’s one and done and long term is what’s it’s all about.

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

good head on your shoulders is one thing.  top 5 pick doesn't stay another year.

Which is why I said one post before that if he was top 5, he would go and if he was tail-end of the lottery or just outside the lottery he would stay.  

7 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Crazy. 🙂

Call it 10/90 for me. 

I think it’s better for the program if he’s one and done and long term is what’s it’s all about.

Romeo sharing the spotlight with JuWan and leading IU to a Big Ten title would be very good for IU.  Romeo doing that plus coming back for his sophomore year and being National Player of the Year would be GREAT for IU.  

8 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Crazy. 🙂

Call it 10/90 for me. 

Do you think Vonleh being a one and done had a positive/negative/neutral impact on the program? I've read previously why you think it would be positive for Romeo, but if he came back and led IU to NCAA championship that would be the biggest positive for the program imaginable. 

I don't know Romeo or his family. There are other examples of guys staying when they were projected lottery picks -- and if I remember right, Cody was in that general range the year before he left.

That said, if you're a projected lottery pick, whether it's top 5 or top 13, you're looking at a guaranteed, very large dollar contract vs. the risk of staying - injury, including potential long-term injury, not having not as good of a year and falling in draft stock (and there are examples of those guys too, where not declaring was a real mistake), etc. 

The argument or reasoning I don't buy into is the "good head on his shoulders" concept. Having a good head on your shoulders includes considering all of the pros and cons. Fouls did not mean it this way, but it's not like if you have a good head on your shoulders that means you stay. Hopefully, if you have a good head on your shoulders, you look long and hard at the big picture and do what is right for yourself and your family. 

If Romeo comes back for his sophomore season, it will likely mean he didn’t meet expectations.  He’s currently being projected as a surefire top 10 pick, and I can’t see him coming back unless it’s looking like he’s going to fall outside of the top 10.  Won’t look great on Archie or the program if that happens (and FWIW I don’t think it will).

Quick question for most everyone on here. We all know what the ceiling for this young man is. He could come in and vault us up in every category (wins, titles, national attention, etc...) With all that said, what is an acceptable basement? If he is on the all freshman team in conference and has a good but not great season is that ok? Everyone seems over the top and by all accounts he is very deserving but are we setting him up for failure? I see way too many people talking about how he should bring a big ten title, elite 8 or bust, etc etc...

Eric Gordon was a rare talent and I do not remember the bar being set anywhere near any of this back then. If romeo pans out to what Eric did that would be a fantastic season but it would not add a banner, big ten title or an elite 8.

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

What I like to see is the list of all the under classman that wasnot drafted this year especially freshman.  I know that Duvall from Duke was not drafted and to me that was a waste declaring after your freshman year.

Romeo is not going to go pro until his defense is NBA ready.  So, he could average 22 points and stay if his defense sucks.  Or, he could average 14 and go if his defense improves.  22 ppg may give IU fans a woody and 14 may disappoint, but the NBA acouts will be looking much closer at his defense than his offense when determining where he would get drafted.  

Bottom line is he's not going to risk long term NBA success by going before he is ready.  If he is drafted top 5, its because his defense is deemed worthy by NBA scouts.  So he goes.  If he projects at 14, then the NBA questions his defense and he stays.  Its as simple as that.

Archived