Romeo Langford

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What sport do you believe doesn't do this? 

College D-1 basketball. 

Also, having followed Major League Baseball..... I can name a whole host of players that never took a day off, even when injured.  Brooks Robinson comes to mind immediately. Along with Cal Ripkin and Lou Gehrig. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

College D-1 basketball. 

Also, having followed Major League Baseball..... I can name a whole host of players that never took a day off, even when injured.  Brooks Robinson comes to mind immediately. Along with Cal Ripkin and Lou Gehrig. 

So now you're talking individual players, not teams. There are individual NBA players that don't do this too, it's just hard to find teams where it doesn't happen. Start naming teams where guys never have off days and you're starting to talk about elite historical teams most likely, no matter what sport you're talking about. 

It isn't like NBA teams just decide they're going to check out mentally, it just happens over the course of a long season. Much like baseball where teams rest guys or they just go into slumps - it's actually a great comparison. 

College basketball teams are prone to  bad games mentally, too, despite having an immensely less grueling schedule. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Multiple NBA teams play great D. Multiple NBA players play fantastic D. Good grief 

All season long ?  It's already been admitted to, in this thread, that due to the length of the season, NBA players don't get rolling on defense, until the playoffs.   Good grief !

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So now you're talking individual players, not teams. There are individual NBA players that don't do this too, it's just hard to find teams where it doesn't happen. Start naming teams where guys never have off days and you're starting to talk about elite historical teams most likely, no matter what sport you're talking about. 

It isn't like NBA teams just decide they're going to check out mentally, it just happens over the course of a long season. Much like baseball where teams rest guys or they just go into slumps - it's actually a great comparison. 

College basketball teams are prone to  bad games mentally, too, despite having an immensely less grueling schedule. 

I only mentioned players who are members of a team that never took a day off.

Bringing it back to a team level.  Despite a horrendous start to the season, last campaign....and despite of that start.... our beloved Hoosiers, did not take a game off becasue of that... and as a result we saw a remarkable turnaround in terms of team defense. 

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I only mentioned players who are members of a team that never took a day off.

Bringing it back to a team level.  Despite a horrendous start to the season, last campaign....and despite of that start.... our beloved Hoosiers, did not take a game off becasue of that... and as a result we saw a remarkable turnaround in terms of team defense. 

We definitely had games middle and late season where we didn't look fully locked in. Our last game of the season, a playoff game, we didnt look like we showed up. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

We definitely had games middle and late season where we didn't look fully locked in. Our last game of the season, a playoff game, we didnt look like we showed up. 

I agree.  But I don't feel it came from a lack of effort, rather than a lack of knowledge.  Personally, I am looking for greater performances on the defensive end of things, beginning from the start of this season.  I think Archie has instilled his program into the vets, and can spend more time training the guys coming into the program.  All the while I expect De'Ron to be absorbing it all from the sidelines.

By the way.  Great to see De'Ron working on his upper body strength in the Summer work outs. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I agree.  But I don't feel it came from a lack of effort, rather than a lack of knowledge.  Personally, I am looking for greater performances on the defensive end of things, beginning from the start of this season.  I think Archie has instilled his program into the vets, and can spend more time training the guys coming into the program.  All the while I expect De'Ron to be absorbing it all from the sidelines.

By the way.  Great to see De'Ron working on his upper body strength in the Summer work outs. 

I don't think NBA teams set out to give bad dirt effort on a given night. They play an incredibly long season that is more physically taxing in terms of travel and play than baseball. It is inevitable for there to be peaks and valleys,  much like even the best baseball players and teams. 

There's been a lot of talk on this board about teams peaking at the right time, and even IIRC some praise given from you to Crean for mastering 'tapering' but now we knock NBA teams for finding a way to play their best in the playoffs? NBA basketbal is a marathon, not a sprint. 

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

How often does it happen ?  Seriously, trying to find a reason to watch again.  Used to go to a ton of Nugget's games.  Got disenchanted with the play on defense.  Haven't been back for years, because of that.  Still..... trying to open my mind up.  But after seeing what I saw in the past.... something that is very hard for me to overcome.

Remember the Nuggets of the 80's with Alex English and that team averaged like 116 points a game one year.

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well.  Right there is one of my problems with the NBA.  Having the ability to play good defense.... but doing it during the playoffs.   Really, saw that happen.  And is what caused me to turn away.  Oh, I understand upping one's game for crunch time.  What I can't understand is why some take time off during the regular season. 

Mainly because of the schedule when teams some times play 4 games in 5 nights all in different cities.  to me the regular season is way to long and it leads to teams having some players take some time off during the season.

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

There is a difference from having a bad game than taking games off like teams in the NBA does because of the long schedule.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Mainly because of the schedule when teams some times play 4 games in 5 nights all in different cities.  to me the regular season is way to long and it leads to teams having some players take some time off during the season.

Almost half the teams make the playoffs, cut that number in half and each game would be taken more seriously as well.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There is a difference from having a bad game than taking games off like teams in the NBA does because of the long schedule.

NBA schedule is more like MLB than anything, yet I've never seen anyone jump in the MLB thread and bash those guys for it. Let's start knocking marathon runners for not sprinting 26.2 miles while we are at it. 

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

NFL because every game counts when you only play 16 games.  Also college basketball and college football teams usually brings it every game.

Yes, teams never rest starters in the NFL. /sarcasm 

College football is probably your best argument, but that would only apply to the very top teams. They may not sit people as much in college, it's a very short season in both sports after all, but even Alabama doesn't play their best game every week. 

33 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Almost half the teams make the playoffs, cut that number in half and each game would be taken more seriously as well.

Yes, having teams out of contention earlier would certainly lead to less resting and a better effort from those teams. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

NBA schedule is more like MLB than anything, yet I've never seen anyone jump in the MLB thread and bash those guys for it. Let's start knocking marathon runners for not sprinting 26.2 miles while we are at it. 

College football is probably your best argument, but that would only apply to the very top teams. They may not sit people as much in college, it's a very short season in both sports after all, but even Alabama doesn't play their best game every week. 

Pro football might after they have everything rapped up in the last week of the season.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Nobody says the teams play their best every game because that is impossible.  You know there is a difference from playing bad than just not playing at all or putting your best effort .

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nobody says the teams play their best every game because that is impossible.  You know there is a difference from playing bad than just not playing at all or putting your best effort .

Yeah, I understand that. I just think the notion that NBA teams set out to give bad effort is an absolutely ridiculous statement. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, I understand that. I just think the notion that NBA teams set out to give bad effort is an absolutely ridiculous statement. 

I don't think anyone says that the teams intentionally not play with effort but is just part of the NBA schedule.  I remember watching the Pacers play Milwaukee at BLF and you could tell after the first quarter that Milwaukee did not have it that night and it was a blowout. Annis just did not show up that night and it was probably because he was tired but you just see this in the NBA more than most other sports.

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Good one! :)

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, having teams out of contention earlier would certainly lead to less resting and a better effort from those teams. 

I get that argument, but I think when you have NBA teams resting players knowing there are a handful of games that aren't going to impact the outcome of their season, then something needs fixed.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Eh, I think NBA players/teams absolutely take regular season games off on purpose.  It’s a long season, and with so many games, they’re not as important.  Personally, it doesn’t really bother me.  It’s just the nature of sports that have long seasons (they can avoid it in baseball to an extent because 90% of the game is just standing around and scratching your junk anyway).  

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Remember the Nuggets of the 80's with Alex English and that team averaged like 116 points a game one year.

Oh, I loved that team. Back in the day, when I was willing to spend money to go to a Nuggets game vs watching them on tv.

Archived