Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

No one knows if there are issues or not. Guessing there is won't help a thing. We can all see with our own eyes what the issue is. No one can throw the ball in the frecking ocean. There has been players at IU in other seasons that other players hated everything about them and those teams won. Its really a non issue until the off season. Fix the shooting and this team wins.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thank you. I think we as fans all know something has been up but I also applaud you not bringing it out especially if it's not true. Obviously we would welcome what you can share. Knowing it's a tough one to handle my guess is it has to be centered around Romeo. Other guys thinking they need some shots, looks.....but on the flip side Archie has to show the future 5 star guys that he will deliver on his recruiting promise to spotlight guys if they choose Indiana. I wouldn't want to make those calls....but if it were me and some guy who thinks he deserves 12 shots a game is complaining....he can hit the bricks. 

I’ll say this and it’s going to sound ridiculous.  Don’t expect Archie to recruit many more 1 and dones.  That’s not a slight on romeo but it just isn’t Archie’s style.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ll say this and it’s going to sound ridiculous.  Don’t expect Archie to recruit many more 1 and dones.  That’s not a slight on romeo but it just isn’t Archie’s style.

So having a mid-major program is the goal/best-case scenario here... Yikes.

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not going to lie always seemed odd to go after one. Never made sense why you would get a one and done for a system that takes years to learn. 

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

So having a mid-major program is the goal/best-case scenario here... Yikes.

TJD, Arman and maybe Keion say hello. Don't believe everything you read. :coffee:

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

In some ways, that would be music to my ears. 

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

TJD, Arman and maybe Keion say hello. Don't believe everything you read. :coffee:

They aren’t one and dones.  I didn’t say he wouldn’t recruit 5 stars.  Just not one and dones

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Sure, taken with a grain of salt just like every other message board rumor... But if Archie is going to purposely avoid recruiting one-and-done level talent because it’s “not his style,” he’s just not going to last here.

Edit: And here come the “BUT VILLANOVA AND MICHIGAN” posts in 3... 2... 1....

Edited by FW_Hoosier
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

They aren’t one and dones.  I didn’t say he wouldn’t recruit 5 stars.  Just not one and dones

We dont know that. There have been 4 star one and dones. To just throw out Archie wont recruit one and dones....

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not going to lie always seemed odd to go after one. Never made sense why you would get a one and done for a system that takes years to learn. 

Then maybe adjust your system? If your philosophy takes "years to learn", then why bother going after anyone but 3*s or below?  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Sure, taken with a grain of salt just like every other message board rumor... But if Archie is going to purposely avoid recruiting one-and-done level talent because it’s “not his style,” he’s just not going to last here.

Right, if he cant coach one and done type players fire him now.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Agree all day. They aren't the one and done types in my opinion either. TJD and KB JR are great talents....but they would get eaten alive taking that step so quickly. Again. Thanks as always. 

I'll respond to 2 topics discussed above.  First, trust me when I say Romeo is not the cancer.  He woulduch rather score 12 and win than 20 and lose.  Heck, earlier in the year people complained he wasn't selfish enough.

As far as one and dones, I am perfectly okay if we don't recruit them. You can build a championship team without them.  And, experienced teams that know each other are fun teams to watch.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Right, if he can coach one and done type players fire him now.

Of course not.  We just have to hope that he can adjust to coaching players with the level of talent needed to consistently compete at the highest level before it’s too late.  We’ll have a pretty good idea of whether he can in a couple years.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Indykev said:

We dont know that. There have been 4 star one and dones. To just throw out Archie wont recruit one and dones....

He won’t recruit the obvious one and dones.  There..... 🤦‍♂️

38 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Then maybe adjust your system? If your philosophy takes "years to learn", then why bother going after anyone but 3*s or below?  

Yes because high four stars don’t stay four years in most cases

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll respond to 2 topics discussed above.  First, trust me when I say Romeo is not the cancer.  He woulduch rather score 12 and win than 20 and lose.  Heck, earlier in the year people complained he wasn't selfish enough.

As far as one and dones, I am perfectly okay if we don't recruit them. You can build a championship team without them.  And, experienced teams that know each other are fun teams to watch.

If a kid is the top talent in Indiana and he looks like a one and done, you know, like Romeo, does anyone really think he won’t recruit him? I mean, really? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think building a program with the idea of one and dones being a vital part of your strategy would work.  UK and Duke are the rare examples and since Coach K decided to go after the one and dones, UK's success going this route has declined dramatically.  Unless you get the the quality and number of these top tier players that Duke, and UK prior to them, get than you are just not going to be that good or consistent from year to year.  Stay away from the top 10-15 ranked players and target the 15-100+.  Of course any strategy will always have exceptions, but I think having this philosophy will lead to greater stability and overall quality.

22 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He won’t recruit the obvious one and dones.  There..... 🤦‍♂️

Archie and his staff will continue to go after the best talent.  Romeo is not the problem with this team.  If anything he is to unselfish.  He is the one kid who looks the coaches in the eye, plays a ton of minutes, rebounds, trys to facilitate it, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Archie and his staff will continue to go after the best talent.  Romeo is not the problem with this team.  If anything he is to unselfish.  He is the one kid who looks the coaches in the eye, plays a ton of minutes, rebounds, trys to facilitate it, etc.

Ok.......LOL

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If a kid is the top talent in Indiana and he looks like a one and done, you know, like Romeo, does anyone really think he won’t recruit him? I mean, really? 

If and when he establishes a program, then maybe.  Kind of like what Beilien does at UM.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I didn't say that.  What I said would be I am okay if he doesn't, especially, if he can get the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th player in the class nd they stay for 3-4 years,

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Ok.......LOL

For sake of discussion, why would you say that?  Without going into specifics, I will state obvious observations that any fan can make.

1) The same kids who were winning, close games, are still the same kids getting playing time.  Big Ten kids are exposing them.  Part is a lack of size.  Davis getting less time is challenging the rotation.  

2) Back to one point guard.  When and If Green comea back that will help.  Green was on the bench the other day.

3)The paid experts on the Big Ten Network speak highly of Romeo, Morgan, Al.  Much of their info comes from the coaching staff and their observations.  

4) This team needs depth, period.  Foul trouble is taking Romeo and Morgan out of rhythm.  Everyone monsters them up.

5) A big reason for our 2019 recruits: Romeo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1