Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, I ain't dipping my toes in that PA pool.

So you don’t want Morton? To me it’s a coincidence...both were marginal recruits on the fringe of the roster. I can understand why they left when we bring in a 5* to also play ahead of them. Who knows...the mess the locker room was might not have helped either.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So you don’t want Morton? To me it’s a coincidence...both were marginal recruits on the fringe of the roster. I can understand why they left when we bring in a 5* to also play ahead of them. Who knows...the mess the locker room was might not have helped either.

And Morton would get playing time from day 1, right? Might not get starters minutes, but should get more than Forrester and Moore.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly, I don't want PA kids.

17 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Lived , taught and coached in Wisconsin for 8 years. Family who played high school basketball in Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico and have friends whose kids played in Texas, Georgia and Illinois. Also, my company has sponsored competitions between kids from Indiana and Ohio. 

There are certainly pockets outside of Indiana with excellent high school basketball. However I don’t believe any of them have the quantity of high level teams and coaches that exist here .

Lived in Cali, remember going to watch TJ Leaf play. The crowd was small. Student section small. Level of play was good, but it was two private schools in San Diego ($$$).

The level of play, the fundamentals, the bball IQ, the coaching, the tradition, the atmosphere... Indiana does it all better.  Except some of those hallow, generic 90s gyms we built... those are trash. 

Anyways, the one thing I liked about Cali ball over Indiana... they have a shot clock. I know I am stepping on some of your lawns, but we realllyyyy need a shot clock. Even if its 45 seconds. 

14 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I did a quick check of National Championship games going back to 2000. 

2001: Arizona (runner up) - Jason Gardner

2002: Multiple (runner up)

2003: Syracuse- Keith Duany 

2005: UNC - Sean May

2007: OSU (runner up)- Conley, Oden, Titus

2009: UNC - Tyler Zeller

2010: Duke - 2 Plumlees

2011: Butler (runner up) - multiple

2012: UK - Marquise Teague

2013: UL - StephenVan Treese

2015: Duke - Marshall Plumlee

2019: UVA - Kyle Guy

So it looks like 12 of the last 19 championship games have featured a player from Indiana. 

If remember counting 5 out of 10 players on the court in the '13 game were from Indiana. Hope my math was correct its been a few years. 

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Agreed.  But at that time Sampson was the coach at IU right?

I played summer ball with Luke, young Tyler, and their dad.  Good Christian people, the kind of people like me who would be turned off by the environment  allowed by Sampson. That, to me, is the main reason Tyler looked elsewhere.  

Would have loved to see him at IU. And Luke too.  

I coached against Luke in the Adidas Gauntlet a few years ago. His teams was almost like a church youth group team. No one was great but they played good team ball. My top kid scored 38 or so and Luke took the time to take a pic and chat with him afterwards. Good dude. Good family. 

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I do if they're the right ones. We have a Pennsylvania kid coaching and in college, he played with huge heart and effort.

Agreed. I don’t care where they come from...if they play their butt off for us they will forever be known as Hoosiers!

I’m all for getting players from whenever. However, everything starts with instate recruiting. You have to keep that pipeline going. Those player in state need to be good enough. Once you’ve taken the instate kids with enough talent, you look outside of the state. 

Indiana high school basketball is like Texas/Florida high school football. The Texas and Florida schools lifeblood is onstage recruiting. Sure they get kids elsewhere, but if they didn’t consistently take instate talent and keep positive relationships with high school coaches, they would fall off and be irrelevant. 

11 hours ago, Indykev said:

You know what the Indiana kids above have in common? None of them hung a banner.

Isiah Thomas-Ill, Jim Thomas-Fla., Glen Grunwald-Il., Tony Brown-Il., Tony Freemen-Il., Todd Jadlow-KS., Magnus Pelkowski-Colo. Rick Calloway-Oh., Dean Garrett-Ca., Keith Smart-La., Daryl Thomas-Il., Todd Meyer-Wi., Dave Minor-Oh., Steve Eyl-Oh., Joe Hillman-Ca., Brian Slone-Il.

These are kids from out of state who helped hang the last 2 banners. Did you know the 87 championship team only had 3, yes 3, kids from Indiana on the roster? It doesn't matter where kids are from as long as they are good kids and WIN!!

I still believe that 92 team would have hung one if not for TV ted. When tournament time came they were on fire and smoking everyone. 

But ultimately agree with you. Just be good kids and win!

49 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This seems fishy

Not to diminish anything but that first team they played today I only saw 1 top 100 player on it...I wonder if Landers was guarding him because he went like 1-7 from the field. A couple of their better players didn't play it looked like. I don't know who they are playing in the night game but it could be that these are some weaker teams.

12 hours ago, Indykev said:

You know what the Indiana kids above have in common? None of them hung a banner.

Isiah Thomas-Ill, Jim Thomas-Fla., Glen Grunwald-Il., Tony Brown-Il., Tony Freemen-Il., Todd Jadlow-KS., Magnus Pelkowski-Colo. Rick Calloway-Oh., Dean Garrett-Ca., Keith Smart-La., Daryl Thomas-Il., Todd Meyer-Wi., Dave Minor-Oh., Steve Eyl-Oh., Joe Hillman-Ca., Brian Slone-Il.

These are kids from out of state who helped hang the last 2 banners. Did you know the 87 championship team only had 3, yes 3, kids from Indiana on the roster? It doesn't matter where kids are from as long as they are good kids and WIN!!

I am 100% for getting the Indiana kids, that have Big Ten talent, and then working outwards. But to your point there were only three Indiana kids on the ‘87 championship team and in the final game only one Indiana kid, Alford of course, scored. It’s also kind of unusual that only 4 IU players scored in that game. Four guys were in double figures and everyone else was scoreless.

Archived