FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So here’s where you’re at. The FBI has told the NCAA not to mess with their investigation. Auburn, a member of the NCAA, is threatening Coach Pearl with his job if he doesn’t talk to them. And the reason he won’t talk to them is the FBI told him not to. The same FBI that told Auburn not to mess with their investigation. 

Makes total sense! So much more sense than a coach who has already been slapped with a show cause, and has Auburn recruiting above its means, and who used his assistant as a fall guy, being guilty. 

You're assuming Pearl is willing to go against the FBI just because Auburn is willing to, why? That's doesn't make sense. 

Your second paragraph is so flawed it isn't funny. 

1) this want about recruits

2) Pearl's past had nothing to do with material improper benefits anyway

3) Person apparently kept the money for himself and did nothing to help the kids or Auburn. 

4) Even if Auburn is recruiting above it's means and cheating, it seems unlikely Pearl would be involved in a scheme by an assistant to make money in a way that doesn't even benefit Auburn. That doesn't even mean Pearl hasn't cheated, it just means that isn't what the FBI got Auburn for. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um no. You’re assuming Auburn is trying to go against the FBI. Not me. If Pearl is keeping his mouth shut because the FBI told him to, like you surmised, and Auburn is threatening to fire him for it, that’s what you’re saying. I don’t believe that because it’s nonsensical. 

Man, you’re gonna be here proclaiming Pearl’s innocence even if he gets fired. Moving on. 

11 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Um no. You’re assuming Auburn is trying to go against the FBI. Not me. If Pearl is keeping his mouth shut because the FBI told him to, like you surmised, and Auburn is threatening to fire him for it, that’s what you’re saying. I don’t believe that because it’s nonsensical. 

Man, you’re gonna be here proclaiming Pearl’s innocence even if he gets fired. Moving on. 

I actually never said that at all. The very first thing I did was point out we shouldn't be so quick to believe Schlablach - he has a track record of being wrong. 

Here are the facts:

Chuck Person was arrested for crimes unrelated to recruiting. 

A guy with a history of not having good sources at Auburn claims he has a single unidentified source that claims Pearl won't cooperate. 

A beat writer of Auburn's claims to sources in the AD say that they were all told not to talk by the FBI and DOJ in September and haven't been told otherwise. 

Everything else is conjecture, but nothing in those facts screams guilty. 

To be crystal clear: I don't believe Schlablach's story at this point. 

On 11/8/2017 at 5:41 PM, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Sources: Bruce Pearl's job in jeopardy if he doesn't cooperate in Auburn investigation - ESPN
https://apple.news/AzmzPL9YXTeGtgcJ22a-W1w

I used to think quite highly of Coach Pearl as I was  USI graduate when he had a lot of success there.  This refusal to cooperate says a lot about where Pearl is on the ethics scale. I had little issue getting past inviting recruits to his house...seemed like a silly rule anyway, frankly, but he's showing his rear here and has lost what respect I still had for him at this point.

Stick a fork in the career of coach Pearl. He's done.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Person gave two recruits some money?

Two current players. And he kept most of the money for himself. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I used to think quite highly of Coach Pearl as I was  USI graduate when he had a lot of success there.  This refusal to cooperate says a lot about where Pearl is on the ethics scale. I had no little issue getting past inviting recruits to his house...seemed like a silly rule anyway, frankly, but he's showing his rear here and has lost what respect I still had for him at this point.

Stick a fork in the career of coach Pearl. He's done.

He's being advised by his lawyers and the FBI not to talk. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.  Not saying he is innocent, just wouldn't presume guilt because someone is listening to his lawyers and the FBI.  There's also a lot of room to speculate if Auburn actually has a problem with what he's doing.

38 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Would Sean Miller survive? I believe so. I think he can play the 'plausible deniability' this time; maybe he really didn't know. Plus, Arizona probably cares about winning more than integrity of the program. 

The problem for Miller,  is that the NCAA no longer allows the 'plausible deniability' defense any longer. 

5 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

They should have fired him at halftime of the whooping their football team put on #1 ranked Georgia.  No one around town would have noticed or cared. 

Seriously though, he has to go, right?

Yeah, the timing would have been perfect.  As far as the he has to go thing, I just dont know.  Pearl  has found himself to be in some "unusual" situations.  Sometimes I wonder why it is that way.

30 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I guess we can throw out the "lone rifle man" i mean lone rogue assistant theory 

Fair point. I still think guys expecting him to talk against the wishes of the FBI and his attorneys are being a bit agenda driven because of prior feelings about Pearl. 

I doubt anyone on this board would talk in his situation. 

On 11/10/2017 at 4:32 PM, milehiiu said:

The problem for Miller,  is that the NCAA no longer allows the 'plausible deniability' defense any longer. 

Claiming plausible deniability was so last year.  The cool thing now to get out of punishment is to say it was academic fraud.

Accept money from a coach?  No problem.  That money was used to buy books, so its an academic issue.  And those books were on Amazon, so technically they were available to everyone.  Take that NCAA!

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Claiming plausible deniability was so last year.  The cool thing now to get out of punishment is to say it was academic fraud.

Accept money from a coach?  No problem.  That money was used to buy books, so its an academic issue.  And those books were on Amazon, so technically they were available to everyone.  Take that NCAA!

Sean Miller may get some kind of punishment from NCAA, but I doubt Arizona would let him go. If this ever happened at IU? Coach would get toasted. 

It'll be interesting to see how well Sean Miller will recruit going forward.

Archived