FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If he took the money, which this says yes. Why let him keep the scholly?

My initial guess. Trying to look good in the PR battle they undoubtedly are losing with each and every move. I know they have to perform their due diligence and make sure they aren't openings themselves to future litigation but Louisville doing this drip campaign of bad news isn't the way to handle. Do everything at once. Not a bit here and there. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My initial guess. Trying to look good in the PR battle they undoubtedly are losing with each and every move. I know they have to perform their due diligence and make sure they aren't openings themselves to future litigation but Louisville doing this drip campaign of bad news isn't the way to handle. Do everything at once. Not a bit here and there. 

They aren't very smart in KY,( see Bluegrass, ha) ripping the band-aid off, i agree with you, would have been the best thing. Keeping a staff member as your coach while letting everyone else go was maybe the worse choice of all. Mike Davis 2.0. Keeping the current players happy.

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

They aren't very smart in KY,( see Bluegrass, ha) ripping the band-aid off, i agree with you, would have been the best thing. Keeping a staff member as your coach while letting everyone else go was maybe the worse choice of all. Mike Davis 2.0. Keeping the current players happy.

Yep on players. We had a pretty good stretch there from 2000-2007 of how not to handle firings/hirings/phone gate.....so we should know more  than most when something isn't being handled correctly. To this day I'm still in shock how we gave ourselves the death penalty for 100 extra phone calls when a year later those calls were deemed legal. 

41 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Since the Auburn AD is gone, how does Pearl stay on as long as he has?? I thought he' be gone at least a month ago.....

Pearl hasn't been tied to anything at this point. The only thing we have any evidence he has done is not talk to the schools investigators which is exactly what every single person on this board would be doing. 

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't know about that. What it is doing is changing the culture of recruiting. That won't be front page news, but is significant. 

How do we know that though?  What's to say these guys aren't going to keep doing the same thing?  Pitino is the only coach of note to face penalties with their school so far, and that is partially due to a long line of things from him.  I don't think there's been anything yet that will keep teams from continuing to do the same thing.  There needs to be more coming out in order for this to stop.

Plus, what are the odds that the FBI is going to do another investigation into the same thing right after they just did one?  I think unless more penalties come out, nothing is going to change.  People will just try to be smarter about it.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

How do we know that though?  What's to say these guys aren't going to keep doing the same thing?  Pitino is the only coach of note to face penalties with their school so far, and that is partially due to a long line of things from him.  I don't think there's been anything yet that will keep teams from continuing to do the same thing.  There needs to be more coming out in order for this to stop.

Plus, what are the odds that the FBI is going to do another investigation into the same thing right after they just did one?  I think unless more penalties come out, nothing is going to change.  People will just try to be smarter about it.

I thought the real fallout was supposed to be these coaches taking lighter punishments for giving names. I haven’t heard of any situations where this has happened. 

22 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I thought the real fallout was supposed to be these coaches taking lighter punishments for giving names. I haven’t heard of any situations where this has happened. 

I expected that too.  I'm surprised nobody has come forward and started ratting people out (that we know of).  I'm still holding out hope that there's more to come, but it has been awfully quiet since the initial shock.

Just now, Leathernecks said:

I expected that too.  I'm surprised nobody has come forward and started ratting people out (that we know of).  I'm still holding out hope that there's more to come, but it has been awfully quiet since the initial shock.

My guess would be that this likely probably has already happened, but that it hasn't been released yet. I would be willing to bet the FBI has a lot of information that hasn't been released yet.

Now, when it will be released is anybody's guess. No clue. Could be years if they start pulling on a thread that begins unraveling the garment.

2 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

And there's absolutely no reason that we should have heard of these situations. Prosecutors have no obligation to disclose anything until formal charges are brought. In fact, they want to keep everything under wraps to make guys with knowledge sweat and think about rolling. I thought there would be more charges brought by now (in fact, hoping for it), but the lack of charges or any other press announcements doesn't mean the cases are languishing. 

1 hour ago, Mac said:

And there's absolutely no reason that we should have heard of these situations. Prosecutors have no obligation to disclose anything until formal charges are brought. In fact, they want to keep everything under wraps to make guys with knowledge sweat and think about rolling. I thought there would be more charges brought by now (in fact, hoping for it), but the lack of charges or any other press announcements doesn't mean the cases are languishing. 

Correct. There won't be reporting of persons of interest or under investigation, or witnesses, etc. 

And while we don't know, that several coaches were charged, criminally and publicly, absolutely is a disincentive to such shoe company recruiting/dealing. How big an impact all of this will have is something that we won't know for a while, but it is certainly having a positive impact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Didn’t realize the prosecutor got replaced.  The charges were already a little dubious to begin with, no way anything else comes of this.

• 10 months later...

I'm pretty sure nobody is getting punished severely by the NCAA . This is not an opinion anymore it's a fact the NCAA knows their is a lot of cheating in terms of players getting paid to go to premier blue blood schools. Sadly I came to terms with that after watching SB nation's documentary on the ole miss football recruiting scandal episode 4 confirmed that the ncaa knows it happens on a grand scheme  just chooses to punish only lesser schools that are not their cash cows. I recommend people to watch this documentary the ncaa is Shady!!!! P.s it mentions basketball as well in episode 4 briefly this SB nation deserves applause for showing the truth!!

1 hour ago, Calihoosier said:

I'm pretty sure nobody is getting punished severely by the NCAA . This is not an opinion anymore it's a fact the NCAA knows their is a lot of cheating in terms of players getting paid to go to premier blue blood schools. Sadly I came to terms with that after watching SB nation's documentary on the ole miss football recruiting scandal episode 4 confirmed that the ncaa knows it happens on a grand scheme  just chooses to punish only lesser schools that are not their cash cows. I recommend people to watch this documentary the ncaa is Shady!!!! P.s it mentions basketball as well in episode 4 briefly this SB nation deserves applause for showing the truth!!

They don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the shoe companies. The NCAA is bed with them as well. They'll probably just end up legalizing a lot of it anyway, they don't want anyone to come down on them when it comes to the pretty much slave labor that exists in college sports.

2 hours ago, SIHoosier26 said:

They don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the shoe companies. The NCAA is bed with them as well. They'll probably just end up legalizing a lot of it anyway, they don't want anyone to come down on them when it comes to the pretty much slave labor that exists in college sports.

Ok, maybe the players deserve more. That is a fair debate. But slave labor????

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ok, maybe the players deserve more. That is a fair debate. But slave labor????

For the very top surefire NBA players, absolutely. Their parents, the schools, the fans,  the shoe companies, and the coaches are the only ones allowed to benefit off of THEIR talent while they get nothing. How in the world is that fair? 

Just now, SIHoosier26 said:

For the very top surefire NBA players, absolutely. Their parents, the schools, the fans,  the shoe companies, and the coaches are the only ones allowed to benefit off of THEIR talent while they get nothing. How in the world is that fair? 

Not saying it is fair. I am saying is it is light years away from slavery. I am probably in the weeds debating terminology versus your intended point.  :)

4 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Last time I checked getting over $40,000 a year is not nothing.  Like I said many times my daughter has a full ride to IU and with that and FASFA and other scholarships see actually gets a huge check each semester to help her pay for everything.  She has enough to pay for her apartment and car and the rest of her living expenses for the year.  There is no reason an athlete can't do the same thing since they get full rides as well plus all of their food is paid for.  Nobody is making anyone go to college so if they don't like the environment go somewhere else to try to get to the NBA.

Archived