FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

Big difference here.  NCAA has never had subpoena power.  And if a coach lied to the NCAA... there was little the NCAA could do about it.

Lie to the Feds ?  That's a different story all together.  With as much time the Feds have had to work on this case.... they know the answers before they ask the questions.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Big difference here.  NCAA has never had subpoena power.  And if a coach lied to the NCAA... there was little the NCAA could do about it.

Lie to the Feds ?  That's a different story all together.  With as much time the Feds have had to work on this case.... they know the answers before that ask the questions.

And hence the word perjure...

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I don' t think anything that has happened so far has changed anything, and I don't think these testimonies will either.  I wouldn't be surprised if they plead the 5th.  It might make them look like they're hiding things, but not really any more than it already appears.

We all know that a lot of the top recruits get paid.  I mean, the guy LSU is getting looked at for is the #57 overall recruit.  Sean Miller has been implicated as paying a recruit in the past, and he still has the #1 class next year despite the cloud of these allegations hanging over him.  Move along, nothing to see here.

The 5th amendment is the ultimate catch 22. You're protected from having to incriminate yourself, but why else invoke that right unless you had something incriminating to be protected from? You don't have to admit to the act on the stand, but it doesn't mean you still can't be found guilty/liable.

I agree with Mile this begins a whole new chapter in college sports history. Everything that has been gotten away with in regards to corruption of the ncaa is wiped clean to start over.

why haven’t thr schools done anything yet if anything is actually there? I’d say BECAUSE the FBInis involved they aren’t. They must allow their coaches to be innocent until proven guilty or they could get in trouble from the coaches even if they’re found guilty. I assure you this, there are a lot of coaches, ADs and people at the NCAA who are sweating and working like mad behind the scenes to be prepared to protect themselves and throw those below them under the bus.

This is what I’d love to ask everyone in this thread...I see his panning out in one of two ways “nothing comes of it” OR it’s taking so long because it’s SO big and expansive. And if that’s the case it’ll be one of the biggest take downs in sports history along with the steroid scandal in baseball. And honestly I think if it goes that way it’ll shock the U.S. but I think the sport survives just fine because most fans of most teams this won’t affect and they’ll be pleased to return things back to being what it should be...COLLEGE sports.

56 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I agree with Mile this begins a whole new chapter in college sports history. Everything that has been gotten away with in regards to corruption of the ncaa is wiped clean to start over.

why haven’t thr schools done anything yet if anything is actually there? I’d say BECAUSE the FBInis involved they aren’t. They must allow their coaches to be innocent until proven guilty or they could get in trouble from the coaches even if they’re found guilty. I assure you this, there are a lot of coaches, ADs and people at the NCAA who are sweating and working like mad behind the scenes to be prepared to protect themselves and throw those below them under the bus.

Fire a coach for suspicion of something without pretty damn solid proof, and the university would get hit with a wrongful termination/defamation of character suit the next day, and theyd be forced to litigate or settle. A federal investigation that could prove said wrongdoings could take years.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Fire a coach for suspicion of something without pretty damn solid proof, and the university would get hit with a wrongful termination/defamation of character suit the next day, and theyd be forced to litigate or settle. A federal investigation that could prove said wrongdoings could take years.

Exxxxxxxactly

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Makes for some pretty awkward meetings between the Coach and AD if the coach knows he’s guilty and the AD knows it but neither can say anything nor will and both know they need each other till it’s proven. Worse than having a booger on your nose.

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Makes for some pretty awkward meetings between the Coach and AD if the coach knows he’s guilty and the AD knows it but neither can say anything nor will and both know they need each other till it’s proven. Worse than having a booger on your nose.

Most ADs probably already know they're guilty

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

The 5th amendment is the ultimate catch 22. You're protected from having to incriminate yourself, but why else invoke that right unless you had something incriminating to be protected from? You don't have to admit to the act on the stand, but it doesn't mean you still can't be found guilty/liable.

With the recorded phone calls I don't see either one taking the 5th.   Both will want to explain that the calls were not as they seem.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

9 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

With the recorded phone calls I don't see either one taking the 5th.   Both will want to explain that the calls were not as they seem.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

That'll be about as effective as a husband saying "Its not like it seems!" when his wife walks in and catches him in bed with two Vietnamese prostitutes, a gallon of Hersheys syrup, a slip-n-slide and a ferret.

Just ask 5fouls. That's how his 4th divorce started. :coffee:

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That'll be about as effective as a husband saying "Its not like it seems!" when his wife walks in and catches him in bed with two Vietnamese prostitutes, a gallon of Hersheys syrup, a slip-n-slide and a ferret.

And the day is off to a great start!!!!

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I was all in until the ferret...

11 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Thanks.  Now everyone knows the reason she went to prison.  I still visit her on her birthday.  

33 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Does a coach go off on reporters, because he knows he is innocent ?  Or because he knows the walls are closing in on him ?

For you really old timers. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men ?   :Only The Shadow Knows 

21 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Does a coach go off on reporters, because he knows he is innocent ?  Or because he knows the walls are closing in on him ?

For you really old timers. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men ?   :Only The Shadow Knows 

Or maybe just because they're reporters. Bob Knight quote:

"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things."

Archived