FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m getting my popcorn ready. 

Nike’s statement has a jiggery-pokery feel to it.  I am not remotely surprised at all there is an ongoing investigation into Nike as I mentioned before this release. Nike trying to act like it’s wearing a white hat in this instance is disingenuous. 

:snack:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the sole reason for the speed was due to the fact that his conference call was timed to be just before Nikes earnings announcement. The SEC did not want stock prices manipulated. Whether or not there was any validity, the extortion threat being on tape was enough. They could not not act and allow for stock manipulation/ blackmail. There very well may be a fire, but that is separate from the Avenatti extortion.  If Avenatti announced his news without extorting Nike, there would not be an issue. From what I've heard, both Avenatti (previously arrested for assaulting a women) and Geragos (representing Smollett and Kaepernick) are as slimy as can be so it is believable they did what they are being charged with.

7 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I was more speaking to the speed with which it was handled.  I agree that it sounds pretty cut and dry, and Avenatti looks like he was desperately trying to find some money to cover his debts.  But six days from initial meeting to arrest is uncommonly quick.  I'd find it hard to believe that Nike didn't at least pull a few favors.  It sounds like they were ready for or even expecting the extortion attempt since they allegedly have audio tapes.

Tinfoil hat time:  Is it possible that Nike, knowing that damaging info was inevitably going to come out, somehow set it up so that Avenatti got himself involved in extortion, so that they could discredit the source before he revealed the info?  Do Avenatti's involvement,  extortion, and character issues somehow taint the validity of the info should it come out from his whistleblower?  Now, Nike is playing the "we are the victim and have done everything right and are fully cooperating" card.

Everything about this from Nike, to big time recruits, to other shoe companies involvement, to Avenatti seems extremely suspicious to me.

Avenatti reminds me of a quote I heard on Law and Order decades ago.  "He's like a dirty sponge, squeeze him and you don't know what (dirt) will come out".

Rick Barnes may be getting caught up in the College admissions scandal that has struck Lori Loughlin.  Fortunately for Barnes his last 6-7 years at Texas were very lackluster and they fired him.  He was trying to admit a kid to be the basketball manager but got fired.  The kid still came to Texas as the manager for the tennis team and that coach has been fired recently and is in all sorts of hot water due to the admission scandal.   The tennis coach had been highly successful.   What happened before this kid may be the problem for Barnes.  was this kid the first?  Local radio sports talk in austin was discussing this on the morning show. Apparently the investigation may still be ongoing. 

https://sportsbybrooks.com/report-rick-barnes-part-of-admission-fixers-ut-scheme/

38 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Rick Barnes may be getting caught up in the College admissions scandal that has struck Lori Loughlin.  Fortunately for Barnes his last 6-7 years at Texas were very lackluster and they fired him.  He was trying to admit a kid to be the basketball manager but got fired.  The kid still came to Texas as the manager for the tennis team and that coach has been fired recently and is in all sorts of hot water due to the admission scandal.   The tennis coach had been highly successful.   What happened before this kid may be the problem for Barnes.  was this kid the first?  Local radio sports talk in austin was discussing this on the morning show. Apparently the investigation may still be ongoing. 

https://sportsbybrooks.com/report-rick-barnes-part-of-admission-fixers-ut-scheme/

Exact quote: "The boy's goal was to help manage the men's basketball team at the University of Texas."

The boy's goal.  Not the intended destination pre-selected by those involved in the scam. 

53 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/04/lsu-will-wade-suspension-investigation-news

If LSU takes him back, they deserve whatever they get . NO scruples here imo.

Also think it's a bit more than tacky for Mike Davis to throw his hat in the ring for a job that is not even open 

Sounds like LSU fans are close cousins to UK's fanbase.  I need a shower after reading that article.

Here's betting they cave and the NCAA has to get involved before a crooked coach at LSU gets punished.

As I've said before, my wife's family are all LSU folks.  They can't believe he was even suspended to begin with.  They think he is just the only one dumb enough to get caught.  SEC fans are a different breed entirely.  The have zero qualms with cheating.  Their position is that everyone is doing it so we should too and it's no big deal. 

18 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

As I've said before, my wife's family are all LSU folks.  They can't believe he was even suspended to begin with.  They think he is just the only one dumb enough to get caught.  SEC fans are a different breed entirely.  The have zero qualms with cheating.  Their position is that everyone is doing it so we should too and it's no big deal. 

We've got our share of those fans, too. 

58 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

We've got our share of those fans, too. 

That's embarrassing to even think about.  The only thing I can say in Hoosier Nation's defense is that hopefully, the percentage is much smaller in IU's fanbase.  48/50 in defense of a crooked coach is just embarrassing in my opinion.

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

Didnt the fbi have tap on some Zion stuff?

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is they did have a tap and caught Kansas coach discussing what Zion's Dad wanted which was house, cash,etc....but for whatever reason it stopped there so far. The implication being those requests just didn't go away....Duke must have met them. 

I choose to not believe Avennati in all things except this one of course. haha

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is they did have a tap and caught Kansas coach discussing what Zion's Dad wanted which was house, cash,etc....but for whatever reason it stopped there so far. The implication being those requests just didn't go away....Duke must have met them. 

I choose to not believe Avennati in all things except this one of course. haha

Considering that KU hasnt been touched, nor Arizona, etc with all the evidence has me questioning what is going on.  Let alone UNC, KU, Duke.  Heck, every university.

Archived