General NBA Thread

Pacers get some love, behind Celtics, Toronto and Sixers --

Which team outside of Boston, Philly and Toronto do you find most intriguing as an East contender?

Windhorst: The Bucks remain a team on the fringe that we're all keeping half an eye on. Giannis Antetokounmpo still has room to grow, and he's got a new coach in Mike Budenholzer who has a history of jump-starting a team. Bud is going to spread the floor and increase passing to open things for Giannis. The Cavs are out of the way, there's room to move, and the Bucks are there.

Herring: Indiana had a really nice summer and didn't lose anyone who produces consistently (sorry, Lance!), picking up scoring with Doug McDermott and Tyreke Evans and a low-post bruiser in Kyle O'Quinn. Based on how close they were to knocking out the Cavs and their solid roster, the Pacers have a chance to surprise the league for a second season in a row.

Snellings: The Milwaukee Bucks. Antetokounmpo was right on the verge of being the best player in the NBA last season, and at age 23 he's still developing rapidly every season. With the team around Giannis more established -- featuring contributing veterans and shooting at most other positions -- the Bucks could vault into the upper echelon in the conference and give the big boys pause.

Engelmann: The Pacers. Already the fourth-best East team by default after LeBron's departure from Cleveland, Indiana managed to further upgrade its roster by adding Tyreke Evans. The 2009 No. 4 draft pick had a career-best true shooting percentage last season, which is part of why real plus-minus (RPM) ranked him as the third-best shooting guard in the entire league.

Arnovitz: The Bucks. Antetokounmpo isn't done growing as a player, and Budenholzer demonstrated a knack for taking a collection of imperfect players in Atlanta and turning them into a 60-win juggernaut. Transform that defense with some discipline to go along with that length, and sculpt a smart offensive system that creates space and movement around Antetokounmpo, and it's not outlandish to imagine the Bucks finishing as a top-eight team in both categories.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24133210/kawhi-leonard-trade-debate-raptors-east-favorites-celtics-sixers

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lol, you're just pushing my buttons again. The one thing Durant didn't do? What he did -- and only he did -- was run away from the Thunder (leaving the Thunder in a way that prevented them from getting anything back, unlike PG and everyone else) like the wus that he is in order to join the team that beat him. In your mind.... lol

Kawhi effectively ran away from the Spurs during the season.  

29 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kawhi is an odd cat. Thing is, he never talks -- period. It's not like he's just not talking here, he NEVER talks. The NBA insider guys say he's getting bad advice from "his people," and that he should say something, sometime, to someone, but, well, he just doesn't do that. And no question he has come off looking bad because of it, but, well, he just doesn't tallk. 

Yeah, I get that about Kawhi.  But it’s not an excuse.  Perception is reality, especially for pro athletes.  It’s his responsibility to come out and say something if he wants to protect his reputation. and if he doesn’t, that’s on him.  It’s going to be tough to argue he isn’t a diva if he keeps acting like this. 

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I get that about Kawhi.  But it’s not an excuse.  Perception is reality, especially for pro athletes.  It’s his responsibility to come out and say something if he wants to protect his reputation. and if he doesn’t, that’s on him.  It’s going to be tough to argue he isn’t a diva if he keeps acting like this. 

The funny thing is that before this deal, he was universally considered a great guy with no issues whatsoever, and his not talking was just kind of who he is -- it's also kind of a Spurs thing, Duncan never talked either, and Kawhi came up under and with Duncan.

I agree though that he should say something now because of perception - but I don't think he cares. It's just who he is.

Thunder made the anticipated move -- moved Anthony to Atlanta (who will waive him). They acquired Schroder, which seems odd as he's ball dominant and used to being the lead point, but per this story Thunder met with Schroder regarding his anticipated role with the Thunder, and he's going to play off the bench, which should make the Thunder much better. That's real depth. They also added an athletic wing in Luwawu-Cabarot, from the 76ers.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24141942/oklahoma-city-thunder-trade-carmelo-anthony-atlanta-hawks-dennis-schroder-mike-muscala

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thunder made the anticipated move -- moved Anthony to Atlanta (who will waive him). They acquired Schroder, which seems odd as he's ball dominant and used to being the lead point, but per this story Thunder met with Schroder regarding his anticipated role with the Thunder, and he's going to play off the bench, which should make the Thunder much better. That's real depth. They also added an athletic wing in Luwawu-Cabarot, from the 76ers.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24141942/oklahoma-city-thunder-trade-carmelo-anthony-atlanta-hawks-dennis-schroder-mike-muscala

Hard to see Schroder playing with Russ...he is a terrible shooter.....plus his legal problems with his assault case coming up...this is a win for Atlanta to move him.

guess it’s just a matter of time before Carmelo signs with Houston.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Hard to see Schroder playing with Russ...he is a terrible shooter.....plus his legal problems with his assault case coming up...this is a win for Atlanta to move him.

guess it’s just a matter of time before Carmelo signs with Houston.W

Thunder starters should be Westbrook, Roberson, PG, Adams and probably Grant. 

Schroder should make a very good backup 1, and further strengthen the second unit. Way too ball dominant to play next to Westbrook, and Roberson (has to be healthy) is absolutely key to the Thunder.

Bench looks much improved, includes Noel, Schroder, Brewer, Abrines, Felton, Huestis, Ferguson, and you have guys like Diallo, Luwawu

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thunder starters should be Westbrook, Roberson, PG, Adams and probably Grant. 

Schroder should make a very good backup 1, and further strengthen the second unit. Way too ball dominant to play next to Westbrook, and Roberson (has to be healthy) is absolutely key to the Thunder.

Bench looks much improved, includes Noel, Schroder, Brewer, Abrines, Felton, Huestis, Ferguson, and you have guys like Diallo, Luwawu

Question is does Schroder even play (he might be in prison)....he does have the ability to take the ball to the hole but he is a terrible shooter and he plays the worst defense in the NBA...in fact in the past 4 years I think he has been in the top 5 worst defenders. He is not a plus if you ask me. That said Thunder might have got better just by subtraction of Anthony....I'm just not sold on a Russ Westbrook led team. Athleticism and desire are off the charts....basketball IQ and shooting....need to improve. Hard to believe that OKC had basically the last 3 MVPs drafted and on their team. If they would have had the insight to keep them they could have been the GSW instead....well I won't go that far....Russ decision making probably wouldn't allow that but wow the talent!

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Question is does Schroder even play (he might be in prison)....he does have the ability to take the ball to the hole but he is a terrible shooter and he plays the worst defense in the NBA...in fact in the past 4 years I think he has been in the top 5 worst defenders. He is not a plus if you ask me. That said Thunder might have got better just by subtraction of Anthony....I'm just not sold on a Russ Westbrook led team. Athleticism and desire are off the charts....basketball IQ and shooting....need to improve. Hard to believe that OKC had basically the last 3 MVPs drafted and on their team. If they would have had the insight to keep them they could have been the GSW instead....well I won't go that far....Russ decision making probably wouldn't allow that but wow the talent!

You're certainly right there are issues with Schroder, that's why he was available like this, but just last year teams like Phoenix were ready to trade Bledsoe for him. He's a good player, and we're talking bench, not starter. He's also a head case. But then so was "Felon" (Raymond Felton) before he joined the Thunder. End of the day just moving Melo makes them better, getting rid of that awful contract/monster luxury tax hit frees up space, and the Thunder with Russ were one game from the Finals before Durant (and Russ) choked it away and Durant ran off to GS. They were also playing very, very well when Roberson went down. They're better.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You're certainly right there are issues with Schroder, that's why he was available like this, but just last year teams like Phoenix were ready to trade Bledsoe for him. He's a good player, and we're talking bench, not starter. He's also a head case. But then so was "Felon" (Raymond Felton) before he joined the Thunder. End of the day just moving Melo makes them better, getting rid of that awful contract/monster luxury tax hit frees up space, and the Thunder with Russ were one game from the Finals before Durant (and Russ) choked it away and Durant ran off to GS. They were also playing very, very well when Roberson went down. They're better.

Combination of Roberson and George I think is a nice one. Maybe this is the year it clicks for Russ...maybe not. He has so much ability...I agree a better team...but the West just keeps getting tougher. I think OKC matches up well with the Warriors...just like Houston did last year (I think lesser this year). That said the west is just a gauntlet of tough teams that could take a step up or back. Pelicans are intriguing, Utah is tough, who knows with Lebron in LA but they should make the playoffs...just a lot of landmines out there. It will be interesting to see it shake out.

It's a big if but if Kawhi comes back motivated and healthy (which if he wants a big offseason next year he will have to) then to me Toronto is as deep and talented as anyone. Lowry, Fred VanVleet, Delon Wright, Green, C.J. Miles, Leonard, Anunoby, Serge Ibaka, Pascal Siakam and Jonas Valanciunas. It wasn't just landing Leonard but Danny Green should help...add those two with the defense that Anunoby can play those guys can all switch off 1-3. They are two deep at every position..they can play small with Ibaka, they have shooters with Green and Miles...Vanvleet is under-rated backup pg.....just about as good a roster as you can have 1-10. Look out for them once they gel.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The West is just ridiculous. Really, after GS and Houston, 3-8 are up for grabs. Denver, Blazers, Pels, Thunder, Lakers with LBJ, Utah, Spurs, Minny, Clips, ugh

Anyone see where Yogi is back on the market? Yogi and his agent decided that it was in his best interest to remain a point guard and wasn’t going to be promised minutes at that position, so they’ve decided to walk. The Mavs, crime what I understand, were trying to sell him as a backup 2 guard and he must not want any part of that.

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

Anyone see where Yogi is back on the market? Yogi and his agent decided that it was in his best interest to remain a point guard and wasn’t going to be promised minutes at that position, so they’ve decided to walk. The Mavs, crime what I understand, were trying to sell him as a backup 2 guard and he must not want any part of that.

Yes sir, we are actually discussing it in the Hoosiers in the NBA thread: http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/44-hoosiers-in-the-nba/

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He is without question better than Harden or Steph when healthy. He is on par with Davis and KD. 

The reality of it all is that there is NOBODY in my league.  I just choose to sit on my couch rather than play the game.  

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The signing that made me laugh more than any was Lance Stephenson. Surely LeBron blessed it but given their history it just really struck me as funny.

Supposedly he called Lance personally asking him to sign. 

As much as the Lakers appear to be a band of misfits, they are going to put two of the top basketball kinds ever on the court. If anything is going to bring out the good in guys like Lance and Beasely it is that. 

On 7/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, KoB2011 said:

Supposedly he called Lance personally asking him to sign. 

As much as the Lakers appear to be a band of misfits, they are going to put two of the top basketball kinds ever on the court. If anything is going to bring out the good in guys like Lance and Beasely it is that. 

Lebron and...

Archived