2021 Recruiting Hub

42 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

At least one "pure shooter" is a must, IMO.  I don't give a tinker's damn where they're from - Evansville, Indy, Ft. Wayne, S. Bend, or Boogerglob Yugoslavia.  We need some strong outside threats.  I am not comfortable in relying on player development for that skill.

I'm with you. If scholarships allow I want one Jordy or Nick Z or Matt Roth every class. Pure shooter from deep. Don't care if they have 2 stars next to name. Give me a shooter every year.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

At least one "pure shooter" is a must, IMO.  I don't give a tinker's damn where they're from - Evansville, Indy, Ft. Wayne, S. Bend, or Boogerglob Yugoslavia.  We need some strong outside threats.  I am not comfortable in relying on player development for that skill.

Tell us the truth.  Boogerglob is snot a real place, is it?  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'd compare shooting with accuracy in a quarterback.  It's tough to take an inaccurate college quarterback and turn him into Joe Montana.  If I am looking at a QB, the first trait that's essential to me is accuracy.  It's generally the trait that excludes some guys from greatness unless they have some overwhelming other attribute, which is rare.

Similarly, if a young guy is a bricklayer--clang, clang--it's hard for them to become consistent shooters.  Not that it never happens, but it's atypical. There tends to be a variance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm with you. If scholarships allow I want one Jordy or Nick Z or Matt Roth every class. Pure shooter from deep. Don't care if they have 2 stars next to name. Give me a shooter every year.

Knight ALWAYS had kids who could shoot.  I used to believe that every kid growing up in Indiana and played b-ball in Indiana could automatically shoot...like it was genetic!!  Steve Green, Alford, Jay Edwards, Kitchell, Brian Evans, Pat Graham, Mike Woodson...and many others I can't remember.  Oh, yeah...some kid named Calbert.  😋

Edited by jv1972iu

My wish list for this class is as follows

1 low post: Furst

1 pg: TBD

1 shooter: Wesley? (if he isn't a shooting threat I'm not sold) TBD

1 wing/stretch 4: Kaufman, Patterson

I also wouldn't be surprised if this turned into a 5 man class. If it does I would take a chance on a lower rated player with some upside or talented lower rated kid from Indiana that can shoot it from deep. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

My wish list for this class is as follows

1 low post: Furst

1 pg: TBD

1 shooter: Wesley? (if he isn't a shooting threat I'm not sold) TBD

1 wing/stretch 4: Kaufman, Patterson

I also wouldn't be surprised if this turned into a 5 man class. If it does I would take a chance on a lower rated player with some upside or talented lower rated kid from Indiana that can shoot it from deep. 

I do believe it will be a 5 man class

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I hope it is. That way they can take a chance on a player or two that don't have to be day 1 impact players. Like a Pierce Thomas, Gus Etchison, Kooper Jacobi, Jayden Brewer just to name a few. 

I think Thomas could be an immediate impact player on the defensive side of the ball.  Seems to have the athleticism and instincts for it.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:13 PM, dgambill said:

Yeah no way Trayce stays 3 years....we will be lucky he comes back next year at this rate! His potential is really really high and the NBA will pay for it.

I don’t see Trayce leaving after this year at all in my opinion. He has shown no jumper and the NBA big man theses days needs to be able to shoot. Plus Trayce is only like 6’9 he’s shorter that most NBA big men so he needs to be able to shoot and he has not proved that yet

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

I don’t see Trayce leaving after this year at all in my opinion. He has shown no jumper and the NBA big man theses days needs to be able to shoot. Plus Trayce is only like 6’9 he’s shorter that most NBA big men so he needs to be able to shoot and he has not proved that yet

While my heart wants to agree with you, we have seen numerous cases of players leaving ready or not.  His potential is what he and others will expect/hope gets him drafted.  But have we heard any talk that he's thinking of only staying one year?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

While my heart wants to agree with you, we have seen numerous cases of players leaving ready or not.  His potential is what he and others will expect/hope gets him drafted.  But have we heard any talk that he's thinking of only staying one year?

I’ve heard rumors that he isn’t even considering it, but I mean as a young guy when millions of dollars are on the table I have to think he’s a least considering it. Just would bet that he doesn’t actually leave

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

I’ve heard rumors that he isn’t even considering it, but I mean as a young guy when millions of dollars are on the table I have to think he’s a least considering it. Just would bet that he doesn’t actually leave

Of all the kids at IU he seems to be enjoying himself the most. He really has been pro-IU as a kid can be. Do I think he could leave if he continues to play this well throughout the season....absolutely be hard to pass up. His lifelong dream likely and a chance to set his family for life. Who knows when you might blow out your knee etc. That said I do think he will be here for one more year...but past that...all bets are off.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 10:57 PM, HoosierKix said:

Love TJD, but he either needs a jump shot or needs to bulk up. It would be a mistake to OAD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Of all the kids at IU he seems to be enjoying himself the most. He really has been pro-IU as a kid can be. Do I think he could leave if he continues to play this well throughout the season....absolutely be hard to pass up. His lifelong dream likely and a chance to set his family for life. Who knows when you might blow out your knee etc. That said I do think he will be here for one more year...but past that...all bets are off.

Yeah agree completely!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Looks to me like he can shoot...probably better then any guard on IU's roster

I keep thinking about the kids like Pat Graham, Brian Evans, Ted Kitchel.  They weren't great athletes, but they could shoot...and they understood the game...the details.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1