The laugh at Purdue Thread...

FKIM01

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah - I agree. Brohm is a rising star in the coach rankings. I personally think he is a better coach than Tiller but he won't stay at Purdue like Tiller did. 

No, he won't.  Better pedigree.  When a "blue blood" job comes up......he gone.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

For a guy who always wants to get threads back “on topic “, you have turned this into a Brohm love fest. LOL 

To be fair, we will have plenty to laugh at when he leaves Purdue for greener pastures. I would not be surprised to see him coaching Auburn in 2020. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

You do realize that Saban offered Brohm the OC position at Bama?  I don't care who you are...that speaks volumes.  And speaking of Tiller, who I think was a great guy and coach, his first year was Drew Brees' first year as well.  Brohm, ain't got "his guys" there yet.  

No offense.

Purdue had like 2 winning seasons in the last 14 years before Tiller got there. Who knows...without Tiller would Drew Brees even been a pro?? Doubtful...had he not brought the spread offense to the B1G Colts probably have 2 SBs in Indy and Brees is selling insurance. Tiller was plenty innovative and Brohm has two 500 win seasons...he would have a long way to go to get to Joes level in my opinion. We’ve seen a lot of hyped coaches be a flash in the pan...will he win a B1G championship like Joe...I seriously doubt it. I get that they are happy to go to a bowl game..but I wouldn’t be breaking out the bubbly just yet. Both programs are limited in their ceiling...while neither is taking them to a championship I think Painter does more with less than Brohm. 

On 12/24/2018 at 2:18 PM, cybergates said:

I too am perplexed as to why they and even those outside Turdue think Brohm is such a great coach. Two 6-6 regular seasons where they went 4-5 and 5-4 in the weak B1G West. I think it must be

a) they were so bad prior to his arrival that they overvalue his turnaround of the program

and/or 

b) because Louisville this year and Tennessee last year were speculated as spots he might jump ship to he must be great if they want him?

Much like Painter I'm fine with Brohm being their head coach. If only we could get out of the damn B1G East and swap spots with them. 

Fine with Brohm being the head coach? I think you’re significantly underestimating Brohm’s abilities. 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Hmm..is he as good as Joe Tiller....me thinks not. Compared to what they had before...perhaps...but this guy isn't going to win them a B1G championship....so it's all a mute point. Just like no matter who we hire won't. He might be a good fit for what they are...and certainly Purdue has a better chance at a B1G championship playing Wisconsin and Iowa instead of OSU, MICH, MSU, PSU but I don't see what the reason for getting excited is for. So they will get to go the CARQUEST bowl...or Music City bowl....who wants that?? Thy aren't going to Pasadena any time under Brohm.

Why can’t they get to/win a Big Ten Championship? They embarrassed the B1G champion this year and if you give Brohm a few more years to get his recruits into the program, why can’t he?

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Purdue had like 2 winning seasons in the last 14 years before Tiller got there. Who knows...without Tiller would Drew Brees even been a pro?? Doubtful...had he not brought the spread offense to the B1G Colts probably have 2 SBs in Indy and Brees is selling insurance. Tiller was plenty innovative and Brohm has two 500 win seasons...he would have a long way to go to get to Joes level in my opinion. We’ve seen a lot of hyped coaches be a flash in the pan...will he win a B1G championship like Joe...I seriously doubt it. I get that they are happy to go to a bowl game..but I wouldn’t be breaking out the bubbly just yet. Both programs are limited in their ceiling...while neither is taking them to a championship I think Painter does more with less than Brohm. 

More with less? Brohm still has a ton of Hazell recruits on his roster. Painter also resides in a talent-rich state with a program that has a lot more success historically than its football counterpart. Look at the players Brohm is bringing into the program in year 3. A good chance he ends up with 6 4* guys and 4 top 250 guys in this class. That’s unreal and not something we’ve seen at Purdue. 

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think Painter does more with less than Brohm. 

I'll respectfully prove you wrong.  

Last year he was working with the 13th, 14th, 14th, and 14th ranked B1G recruiting classes.  To do what they did was a remarkable achievement in that light.  

His first recruiting class, aside from the stud from new albany, most likely reshirted.  They were ranked 11th in conference.  This past weeks class he just landed is ranked 5th.  

So to break even or be ahead with basically dead last recruits shows a lot.  

In the same span painter has been working with 5, 7, 13, and 4.  The 7th was swanigans class.  13th was carsen Edwards one man class.  

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Last year he was working with the 13th, 14th, 14th, and 14th ranked B1G recruiting classes.  To do what they did was a remarkable achievement in that light.  

His first recruiting class, aside from the stud from new albany, most likely reshirted.  They were ranked 11th in conference.  This past weeks class he just landed is ranked 5th.  

In the same span painter has been working with 5, 7, 13, and 4.  The 7th was swanigans class.  13th was carsen Edwards one man class.  

Well said.  Brohm has absolutely done more with less.

14 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Fine with Brohm being the head coach? I think you’re significantly underestimating Brohm’s abilities. 

Maybe, but if I am then he'll leave Purdue after a successful season. He's been close to leaving after each mediocre one.

14 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why can’t they get to/win a Big Ten Championship? They embarrassed the B1G champion this year and if you give Brohm a few more years to get his recruits into the program, why can’t he?

I don't doubt he could get to one since the West is hot garbage. Win one seems unlikely. OSU embarrassed themselves more than anything. They barely beat Maryland and didn't look great in several games. PSU should have beat them. IU hung with them longer than we should have. Only beat Nebraska by 5 at home is weak. I think you're significantly overestimating Turdue's win over OSU.

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Can we please keep the Brohm crap out of this thread? This is a basketball board.

Ut oh, we got a native that is getting restless.  It is a Purdue thread...my suggestion is to contact a mod and see if they can clean it up to your specifications.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Well said.  Brohm has absolutely done more with less.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Brohm has yet to do anything. Unless you think 6-6 is something remarkable. Until he wins the B1G West I'm not going to get carried away. Get Purdue to the Rose Bowl. That should be the standard....he is absolutely better than what they had before but he isn't any more innovative or better than Joe so far. I get the optimistic outlook...but he hasn't accomplished anything yet. Recruits...that may or may not show results on the field. I hope he does win a lot of games at Purdue...I enjoy watching all Indiana teams have success...but he hasn't yet...and celebrating 6-6 is not a big deal to me. I hope IU has a lot more success...but I'm not going to get blown away until I see us start actually contending for a B1G title game appearance. If we go to a bowl...that is nice...but that isn't going to get me excited. We will see what happens on the field. Brohm had some really bad losses this year...I'm going to give it some time before I believe the hype train. All I know is Painter has won the B1G..even though he is limited with his recruiting he fields a very very competitive teams year in and year out that while haven't had a deep run into the tournament usually finish higher than expected. We will see if Brohm can do that. He may very well achieve it...but I've just not seen enough to know if he will take Purdue as far as what people are acting like he will achieve. I'd love to say Archie is going to be that next big thing at IU....he certainly is recruiting well...but there is still things that we just don't know yet with will that translate to the floor with his coaching. Who knows...maybe he will end up like his brother and recruit great but never have tournament success....time will tell. I'm a results orientated guy....what matter to me is W's. When I see that jump at Purdue and they finish atop or fighting at the top of their division I will say this guy has done great....until then..it's hype.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Brohm has yet to do anything. Unless you think 6-6 is something remarkable. Until he wins the B1G West I'm not going to get carried away. Get Purdue to the Rose Bowl. That should be the standard....he is absolutely better than what they had before but he isn't any more innovative or better than Joe so far. I get the optimistic outlook...but he hasn't accomplished anything yet. Recruits...that may or may not show results on the field. I hope he does win a lot of games at Purdue...I enjoy watching all Indiana teams have success...but he hasn't yet...and celebrating 6-6 is not a big deal to me. I hope IU has a lot more success...but I'm not going to get blown away until I see us start actually contending for a B1G title game appearance. If we go to a bowl...that is nice...but that isn't going to get me excited. We will see what happens on the field. Brohm had some really bad losses this year...I'm going to give it some time before I believe the hype train. All I know is Painter has won the B1G..even though he is limited with his recruiting he fields a very very competitive teams year in and year out that while haven't had a deep run into the tournament usually finish higher than expected. We will see if Brohm can do that. He may very well achieve it...but I've just not seen enough to know if he will take Purdue as far as what people are acting like he will achieve. I'd love to say Archie is going to be that next big thing at IU....he certainly is recruiting well...but there is still things that we just don't know yet with will that translate to the floor with his coaching. Who knows...maybe he will end up like his brother and recruit great but never have tournament success....time will tell. I'm a results orientated guy....what matter to me is W's. When I see that jump at Purdue and they finish atop or fighting at the top of their division I will say this guy has done great....until then..it's hype.

I hear ya Bro, and I can't disagree with anything you said.  But,  This is Brohm's 5 year as a HC, second at Purdue.  All 5 years he has led his team to a bowl.  He has never lost one.  This has all come after becoming a head coach.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can't take the rest of the post seriously after your first sentence.  If you truly believe that "Brohm has yet to do anything," I don't even know how to respond to that.  I disagree 1000% that he has yet to do anything. 

56 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Maybe, but if I am then he'll leave Purdue after a successful season. He's been close to leaving after each mediocre one.

I don't doubt he could get to one since the West is hot garbage. Win one seems unlikely. OSU embarrassed themselves more than anything. They barely beat Maryland and didn't look great in several games. PSU should have beat them. IU hung with them longer than we should have. Only beat Nebraska by 5 at home is weak. I think you're significantly overestimating Turdue's win over OSU.

How am I overestimating Purdue's win over OSU?  I think it's laughable to say OSU lost that game more than to say Purdue won it.  It's not like Purdue won by fluke.  They beat them soundly.  If IU had beaten OSU 49-20 and I came over here and told you that OSU embarrassed themselves more than anything, I'd assume that I'd get laughed at and for good reason.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How am I overestimating Purdue's win over OSU?  I think it's laughable to say OSU lost that game more than to say Purdue won it.  It's not like Purdue won by fluke.  They beat them soundly.  If IU had beaten OSU 49-20 and I came over here and told you that OSU embarrassed themselves more than anything, I'd assume that I'd get laughed at and for good reason.

It's not that hard. OSU isn't that good, so you thinking Purdue could win the B1G championship in the next few years based on beating them is overestimating the significance of that win. They embarrassed themselves by getting blown out by a mediocre team that lost to Eastern Michigan and got destroyed by Minnesota. I didn't say anything about OSU losing the game more than Purdue winning it or that it was a fluky win. 

Archived