Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

28 minutes ago, thebluestreak said:

I haven’t looked at any others recently.  Just did a google search and that was the first one.   Thanks for reply. 

Interesting.  I did a google search as well and the first one that popped up was draft.net with Romeo at 12 and Herro undrafted.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, McHoop said:

Does UK still have a Senior Day or has Calipari made that obsolete?

McHoop

We do have a Senior day.  It is mostly centered around the senior walk-ons who work their butts off for 4 years.  We don’t have a lot of scholarship Seniors because they go to the NBA to persue their dream jobs.  

With IU dipping it’s toe into the one and done pool, with Romeo and possibly Keion, you will have the same issues. That is the nature of the beast if you want the best players. Check on Dukes senior day in three years. It happens. 

11 minutes ago, thebluestreak said:

A lot of talk about him and his family worried about coach Miller’s future and IU fan unrest after the losing skid.  

That's the unfortunate thing because Archie is going nowhere. The fans that said that have no clue and only hurt the program

30 minutes ago, thebluestreak said:

I am a UK fan.  Just wanted to see what Hoosier fans were saying about Keion.  Nice board, nice format and good info. 

Welcome to the board. We welcome people from other schools,( i guess UK would be a school), just be respectful and you will be fine.

8 hours ago, SeeYa@roys said:

I honestly don’t see why Brooks would even consider UK. Think about it...

Reasons for IU:

-become the hometown hero/legend at IU. UK fans have repeatedly spelled his name wrong. Would he even be appreciated?

-immediate playing time

-play with your best friend

-Brooks will be a focal point. The offense will be designed for him. This will help showcase him for NBA scouts.

-Big Ten is the toughest conference in the nation by a mile. Better competition.

-Kentucky already has a higher rated SF in his class, would Brooks even start?

-Multiple current and former UK players have been named in the FBI Investigation. That’s a GIANT red flag. One player you might be able to explain away... multiple players suggests the problem is systemic. What does that mean for Kentucky next year when the NCAA investigates? Could Calipari get fired if they found similar evidence to what they found with Will Wade? Does Keion really want to be in that program when the sh’t hits the fan?

-father knows Schilling. Schilling has helped develop a lot of high profile/NBA players. Miller has improved Langford defensively.

-Calipari has 6 five star recruits currently on the roster. According to multiple websites, the consensus is only one is considered a top 15 pick next year. The rest are ranked lowered than Langford. I thought Calipari was the one-and-done “develop NBA players” guy? Is he actually developing players or just trying to collect as many five stars as he can?

...and my personal favorite:

-Calipari’s development of five star players nationally ranked 15th or lower is a DISASTER. This is important because Keion is ranked 23rd nationally according to Crystal Ball. Since 2010, Calipari has had 11 five star commitments with a national ranking of 15th or lower. Only one (Goodwin) has started and been a one-and-done. Two more have started both years they were there (Lamb, Washington). However FOUR have transferred and FOUR more have spent a significant part of their UK career coming off the bench.  At UK, if you’re a five star recruit ranked between 15-30 (Keion is 23)... you’re FOUR TIMES more likely to transfer than be a one-and-done and FOUR TIMES more likely to come off the bench than be a one and done.

Why would he ever think UK would be a better choice than IU?

Love this, but unfortunately you're missing Devin Booker as a success for him. https://247sports.com/Player/Devin-Booker-20574/high-school-32914/

He's the only one I ever feel that Cal can take some credit for improving his draft status. Drafted 13th vs. ranked 22nd. That being said, Booker's dad played in the NBA after a solid NCAA career, so I'm sure his dad had quite a bit more impact on Devin's career than Cal did.

21 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Interesting.  I did a google search as well and the first one that popped up was draft.net with Romeo at 12 and Herro undrafted.

Lol. Nothing nefarious as cherry picking a mock draft. It was the first one on my phone. Sorry if it’s not representative. 8D211CEB-6BA8-44D8-890F-D79F71637808.png

5 minutes ago, EastCoastHoosier said:

A LaLu source on another board says the Archie visit happened. About 30 mins in the b-ball office then some time in the gym.  

I sure like the sound of that.....If Keion knows where is going and it isn't IU, then why would Archie and Keion spend that much time together? (especially the office/gym) If he truly is still undecided, then that makes sense too. Does Archie walk away from that confident or does he try one more contact or sneak peak before Friday?

22 minutes ago, thebluestreak said:

We do have a Senior day.  It is mostly centered around the senior walk-ons who work their butts off for 4 years.  We don’t have a lot of scholarship Seniors because they go to the NBA to persue their dream jobs.  

With IU dipping it’s toe into the one and done pool, with Romeo and possibly Keion, you will have the same issues. That is the nature of the beast if you want the best players. Check on Dukes senior day in three years. It happens. 

Senior day at UK means anyone over 65 (which is most of them) get 50% off chitterlings on a stick at the concession stand

9 hours ago, SeeYa@roys said:

I honestly don’t see why Brooks would even consider UK. Think about it...

Reasons for IU:

-become the hometown hero/legend at IU. UK fans have repeatedly spelled his name wrong. Would he even be appreciated?

-immediate playing time

-play with your best friend

-Brooks will be a focal point. The offense will be designed for him. This will help showcase him for NBA scouts.

-Big Ten is the toughest conference in the nation by a mile. Better competition.

-Kentucky already has a higher rated SF in his class, would Brooks even start?

-Multiple current and former UK players have been named in the FBI Investigation. That’s a GIANT red flag. One player you might be able to explain away... multiple players suggests the problem is systemic. What does that mean for Kentucky next year when the NCAA investigates? Could Calipari get fired if they found similar evidence to what they found with Will Wade? Does Keion really want to be in that program when the sh’t hits the fan?

-father knows Schilling. Schilling has helped develop a lot of high profile/NBA players. Miller has improved Langford defensively.

-Calipari has 6 five star recruits currently on the roster. According to multiple websites, the consensus is only one is considered a top 15 pick next year. The rest are ranked lowered than Langford. I thought Calipari was the one-and-done “develop NBA players” guy? Is he actually developing players or just trying to collect as many five stars as he can?

...and my personal favorite:

-Calipari’s development of five star players nationally ranked 15th or lower is a DISASTER. This is important because Keion is ranked 23rd nationally according to Crystal Ball. Since 2010, Calipari has had 11 five star commitments with a national ranking of 15th or lower. Only one (Goodwin) has started and been a one-and-done. Two more have started both years they were there (Lamb, Washington). However FOUR have transferred and FOUR more have spent a significant part of their UK career coming off the bench.  At UK, if you’re a five star recruit ranked between 15-30 (Keion is 23)... you’re FOUR TIMES more likely to transfer than be a one-and-done and FOUR TIMES more likely to come off the bench than be a one and done.

Why would he ever think UK would be a better choice than IU?

Curious if you developed this yourself?  I think this would be a good story to circulate on decision day if I can find the time to do it with everything else going on.  Specifically talking about the part about lower half five star talent.

20 minutes ago, EastCoastHoosier said:

A LaLu source on another board says the Archie visit happened. About 30 mins in the b-ball office then some time in the gym.  

If true, it didn't go like this.

He coach, sorry to inform you but I'm going to UK.  

Archie says, oh sorry to hear that, want to go to the gym and put up some shots?

15 minutes ago, thebluestreak said:

Lol. Nothing nefarious as cherry picking a mock draft. It was the first one on my phone. Sorry if it’s not representative. 8D211CEB-6BA8-44D8-890F-D79F71637808.png

No need to apologize.  The fascinating part was Herro going undrafted.  :coffee:

Edit:  So you like your own posts huh?  Lol

7 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Curious if you developed this yourself?  I think this would be a good story to circulate on decision day if I can find the time to do it with everything else going on.  Specifically talking about the part about lower half five star talent.

Yea did a little late night research. Go ahead and double check and repost if you want.

24 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Love this, but unfortunately you're missing Devin Booker as a success for him. https://247sports.com/Player/Devin-Booker-20574/high-school-32914/

He's the only one I ever feel that Cal can take some credit for improving his draft status. Drafted 13th vs. ranked 22nd. That being said, Booker's dad played in the NBA after a solid NCAA career, so I'm sure his dad had quite a bit more impact on Devin's career than Cal did.

I considered him. He didn’t start when he was at Kentucky. Yes he went pro, but he did come off the bench. Not ideal if you’re Keion.

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd be interested in your take on Calipari. I have 3 friends who are UK fans, and to the man, they think he's a terrible X's and Os coach.

That’s funny because last week at work (I work in Kentucky) some UK fans started talking about how great of a coach Cal was. 

37 minutes ago, SeeYa@roys said:

I considered him. He didn’t start when he was at Kentucky. Yes he went pro, but he did come off the bench. Not ideal if you’re Keion.

Gotcha.

That year was the nearly undefeated (pUKed a little typing that) squad that had the platoon system. Ironically, I think that squad/platoon/MP is one of the two reasons for the slip in Cal's recruiting. I would think some 5* recruits chose other schools after seeing KAT start all 39 games but average 21.1 mins/game and seeing Booker not start any games and average 21.5 mins. I'd like to think it is one of the reasons KBJ will choose IU as well. The other reason for the slip in Cal's recruiting is Coach K getting deeper in the mud with him and Nike splitting their $ between the two (not evenly).

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd be interested in your take on Calipari. I have 3 friends who are UK fans, and to the man, they think he's a terrible X's and Os coach.

Isn't that why Romeo took UK off his list after the U19 World Championships? I thought I heard Calipari had no idea what was going on with the X's and O's. I could be mistaken though.  

Archived