How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rico said:

Doesn't matter.  We need the Gophers to lose.  

Like to see all of these teams lose out OSU, Minnesota, Rutgers and UI and have us win out and that would have all of us tied at 8-12.  Have no idea how they would do a 5 team tie breaker but it would get us out of having to play the first day of the tournament.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like to see all of these teams lose out OSU, Minnesota, Rutgers and UI and have us win out and that would have all of us tied at 8-12.  Have no idea how they would do a 5 team tie breaker but it would get us out of having to play the first day of the tournament.

I still think we could use the extra win. I don't think we are going to win the BTT so playing the first game is a win win. If you lose you probably won't going to make tourney if you win its another win. 

I believe that if we win next 2 and 1 in the BTT we are in a good spot. 

At this point it's all about racking up enough wins to make it reasonable to put us in the tournament. 

We have to win 3 more games, and IMO, Thursday is the biggest game of the year. If we win that...then Sunday...a home game against none other than Rutgers...will be one of the most rowdy atmospheres we've had at Assembly Hall this year. I just absolutely cannot see us losing that game. Then we play a bottom half of the league team in the first game in the BTT...likely a team with not much to play for.

It's ALL about @ Illinois 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I still think we could use the extra win. I don't think we are going to win the BTT so playing the first game is a win win. If you lose you probably won't going to make tourney if you win its another win. 

If we play in the first day that will mean we lost one of these last two games and to me if that is the case the only way to get into the tournament is to win the BTT.  I don't see anyway we will get an at large bid with 16 losses so we need to win these last two games.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually that is a great question about the tie breaker.  I have no idea how that would work either.  I hope it goes by what your record is against the top 4 teams in the league?

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If we play in the first day that will mean we lost one of these last two games and to me if that is the case the only way to get into the tournament is to win the BTT.  I don't see anyway we will get an at large bid with 16 losses so we need to win these last two games.

I thought that there was still a way in which we could win out and still have to play on day 1. I am not into the what if scenarios, but I know others have posted such things and I don't recall. If you are correct then disregard all that I said. 😀

2 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

We have to win 3 more games, and IMO, Thursday is the biggest game of the year. If we win that...then Sunday...a home game against none other than Rutgers...will be one of themost rowdy atmospheres we've had at Assembly Hall this year. I just absolutely cannot see us losing that game. Then we play a bottom half of the league team in the first game in the BTT...likely a team with not much to play for.

IU Spring break starts the day of the Rutgers game. It'll be interesting to see the student section reaction if there is a win on Thursday. I could see it packed or pretty empty.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If that happened then Illinois and Rutgers would finish 7-13. But if we say that Illinois and Rutgers both beat Penn State, it would look like this:

image.thumb.png.cc7b2979a3402ade9fdd2a43b3dac8c7.png

1 minute ago, rico said:

Actually that is a great question about the tie breaker.  I have no idea how that would work either.  I hope it goes by what your record is against the top 4 teams in the league?

Actually I was wrong because if Rutgers and UI lose out they would be 7-13 so we would be ahead of those 2 teams. If we tie with OSU and Minnesota we would lose the tiebreaker since they both beat us.

Just now, Little 5 Banners said:

IU Spring break starts the day of the Rutgers game. It'll be interesting to see the student section reaction if there is a win on Thursday. I could see it packed or pretty empty.

Then some of us old farts need to get there and get rowdy. Relive some of our glory days. 

Just now, Little 5 Banners said:

Ugh. Don't like hearing that. I'm sure most Spring Break plans were already made.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually I was wrong because if Rutgers and UI lose out they would be 7-13 so we would be ahead of those 2 teams. If we tie with OSU and Minnesota we would lose the tiebreaker since they both beat us.

Your original scenario would play out like this. If we win our next two, we are most likely playing Minnesota in the 8/9 game.

image.png.f1a462e3229b989845635cb2badc4c03.png

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

If that happened then Illinois and Rutgers would finish 7-13. But if we say that Illinois and Rutgers both beat Penn State, it would look like this:

image.thumb.png.cc7b2979a3402ade9fdd2a43b3dac8c7.png

8-12 with our resume, and 1 BTT win I would think our odds are pretty good. Win 2 in BTT we are in. Am i too confident in that line of thinking?

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

8-12 with our resume, and 1 BTT win I would think our odds are pretty good. Win 2 in BTT we are in. Am i too confident in that line of thinking?

I would have to think winning our next two and then winning two in the BTT, with one coming against the #1 seed, gets us in with 19 wins.

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I just messed around for a couple minutes and I couldn't find any scenario where we win our next two games and don't finish 8th or 9th. Our opponent will most likely be Minnesota but there are outside chances for it to be Ohio State or Iowa.

We might as well just go out and win the BTT!! Add a new feather to our cap and have lots of momentum heading to NCAA.  The bad thing is I could see us doing it or see us being 1 and done. I like how we are playing and it should be a fun ride. As least we have something positive to talk about 

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Oh yeah if there is a way to not get a bye and win the next two games sign me up for that. 

17-15 and our odds are slim, 18-15 and they're pretty good and 19-15 we are a lock IMO. 

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

So, basically, we need wins to help our resume, but winning these next two games will put us in a situation where we'll have one less opportunity for a win. Brilliant!

We don't need so many wins that it impacts anything to have one less game. Our next three games are all winnable; do that and we will likely make it. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We don't need so many wins that it impacts anything to have one less game. Our next three games are all winnable; do that and we will likely make it. 

Likely, yes. But there's no way to know that, because we don't know how many bid stealers are coming out of the smaller conference tournaments. 

13 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

So, basically, we need wins to help our resume, but winning these next two games will put us in a situation where we'll have one less opportunity for a win. Brilliant!

Say we are in the 8-9 game and win that would put us against probably Purdue and I feel like we can win that game.

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Likely, yes. But there's no way to know that, because we don't know how many bid stealers are coming out of the smaller conference tournaments. 

Yes and we need teams like Belmont. Buffalo and Wofford to win their conference tournaments

Archived