How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on CBS sports and an article said this win keeps IU  NCAA  Tournament hopes alive. It said MSU  should not have loss to IU. IU has been  both brilliant  and bust. MSU has excuses for losing  with its injuries but still no excuse for losing to IU twice. There was no mention of IU's injuries, This was the point I tried to make in game thread. We played games with 7 players injured or just back with injuries no mention of that. So losing to THIS IU TEAM IS BORDERLINE EMBARRASSING! 

13 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I was on CBS sports and an article said this win keeps IU  NCAA  Tournament hopes alive. It said MSU  should not have loss to IU. IU has been  both brilliant  and bust. MSU has excuses for losing  with its injuries but still no excuse for losing to IU twice. There was no mention of IU's injuries, This was the point I tried to make in game thread. We played games with 7 players injured or just back with injuries no mention of that. So losing to THIS IU TEAM IS BORDERLINE EMBARRASSING! 

Meh, we beat them there and we just beat them here.  Validation of how good this IU team can be.  

22 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think this is right. We have the quad wins. This is a year when being at or about .500 and having a bad overall record in a power conf does not necessarily mean you're out. We have a number of really good wins, and sweeping #6 MSU didn't hurt. They also may look at the latter portion of the season, where we're obviously improving. After today, we look like a tourney team -- have to keep it up, though.

I'm very interested to see how we play in this upcoming Rutgers game. We've looked really good against 4 straight ranked teams, so we'll see if we have the mentality to put away an unranked and below average team like Rutgers. 

Edit: I thought the Rutgers game was next. Yeah, not so much. Thought is still the same, just sub ILL for Rutgers.

6 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm very interested to see how we play in this upcoming Rutgers game. We've looked really good against 4 straight ranked teams, so we'll see if we have the mentality to put away an unranked and below average team like Rutgers. 

I'm worried about our little friends to the west first. We've taken some very good teams over there and still lose. I do agree with you though. Overlooking Rutgers would be dumb...especially when zero students are there. Really, really need the public to step up for that one especially if we do beat Illinois. 17-14 headed to BTT. Could see a scenario where the general consensus is win 1 in BTT and in NCAAT. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm worried about our little friends to the west first. We've taken some very good teams over there and still lose. I do agree with you though. Overlooking Rutgers would be dumb...especially when zero students are there. Really, really need the public to step up for that one especially if we do beat Illinois. 17-14 headed to BTT. Could see a scenario where the general consensus is win 1 in BTT and in NCAAT. 

Agreed on ILL, and they've played some impressive games here and there, but we might be able to get away with losing that game and still get in the tournament. A loss to Rutgers might force us to win the BTT to get in, and I'm also a little curious about the mentality of this team. We've seen them bring it against good teams in this 4 game streak, it'll be an interesting test to see how they handle a lesser team.

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed on ILL, and they've played some impressive games here and there, but we might be able to get away with losing that game and still get in the tournament. A loss to Rutgers might force us to win the BTT to get in, and I'm also a little curious about the mentality of this team. We've seen them bring it against good teams in this 4 game streak, it'll be an interesting test to see how they handle a lesser team.

I’d just love to see us win these last two regular season games (I’m worried about Illinois) and go into the BTT with some momentum. If that plays out then Indiana would probably be the most talked about team in the country at that point. 

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Rutgers is an interesting team. They just blew out Iowa. This is a game we "should win" -- but I wouldn't look past them.

31 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

People looking at our loss total and comparing it to the last 4 in of years past aren't accounting for the 2 extra conference games. Our number of "real" games is incredibly high - that doesn't correlate to past bubbles. 

We also have a strong strength of schedule. We're repeatedly playing top flight, ranked and otherwise strong teams. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Does anyone know if the Illinois and Rutgers wins would be considered quad 1?  Obviously still have a punchers chance here but I'm hoping wed only have to win one BTT game to dance.

IMG_2728.PNG

Here is the quadrant breakdown:

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

Both ILL and RUT are in the 90s. ILL would be a Quad 2. RUT would be Quad 3. Wins won't help much. Losses would be deadly.

IU will probably need to win those two plus win two in BTT (assuming they are against higher seeds) to feel at all comfortable.

Jerry Palm's last four in (as of this AM) are TX (net 36), Clemson (41), Seton Hall (64) and AZ ST (68). IU is 54. Best chance is to pass the last two.

Minny is currently projected as an 11 seed, although their net is 56, but head to head is bad for IU.

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Does anyone know if the Illinois and Rutgers wins would be considered quad 1?  Obviously still have a punchers chance here but I'm hoping wed only have to win one BTT game to dance.

IMG_2728.PNG

I believe a Q1 win is based on NET and game  site. 

Home  Neutral  Away

Q1    1-30      1-50         1-75

Q2  31-75     51-100   76-135

Q3 76-160   101-200  136-240

Q4   161+         201+       241+

Illinois is 92 and Rutgers is 94 so it would be a Q2 and a Q3. 

Edited to reflect NET instead of RPI. 

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Here is the quadrant breakdown:

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

Both ILL and RUT are in the 90s. ILL would be a Quad 2. RUT would be Quad 3. Wins won't help much. Losses would be deadly.

IU will probably need to win those two plus win two in BTT (assuming they are against higher seeds) to feel at all comfortable.

Jerry Palm's last four in (as of this AM) are TX (net 36), Clemson (41), Seton Hall (64) and AZ ST (68). IU is 54. Best chance is to pass the last two.

Minny is currently projected as an 11 seed, although their net is 56, but head to head is bad for IU.

Where did you find the RPI?

27 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I believe a Q1 win is based on RPI ad game  site. 

Home  Neutral  Away

Q1    1-30      1-50         1-75

Q2  31-75     51-100   76-135

Q3 76-160   101-200  136-240

Q4   161+         201+       241+

Illinois has an RPI of 152. On the road that would be a Q3 win. 

Rutgers is at 118 which is also Q3. 

That's a bummer. Sounds like we need 4 more wins to dance. So frustrating to even be having this convo considering that we could easily have 6 more quality wins (2 iowa, purdue, ohio st, arkansas,maryland). 

obviously yesterday was huge.  we really need to beat Illinois even though it's on the road and then Rutgers at home.  if we don't do those things, i think it's awful tough to argue we deserve it no matter what we do in the BTT (unless we win it obviously).  still say we need to win these two and at least 2 in BTT.  maybe these 2 and 1 in BTT?

10 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

That's a bummer. Sounds like we need 4 more wins to dance. So frustrating to even be having this convo considering that we could easily have 6 more quality wins (2 iowa, purdue, ohio st, arkansas,maryland). 

Sorry, see my edit and 13th’s post. Illinois is actually Q2, so slightly better. 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

True, but we also have 7 wins by a total of 15 points. Two in OT

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

True, but we also have 7 wins by a total of 15 points. Two in OT

Right. Easily could've lost the Butler game - Rob's last second shot, and several others. The missed bunny at the end by De'Ron was one we really "should have" won, but the rest fall into any game that could've gone either way

from Gassaway

Indiana Hoosiers

With still another thrilling win over Michigan State and a season sweep against the Spartans, Indiana is back in the bubble discussion. The Hoosiers can claim six Quad 1 wins on the year, and, while they also have suffered nine Quad 1 defeats, the high number of quality victories is sufficient for IU's profile to at least get a hearing "in the room" as they say. If (and it's no small if) Archie Miller's men win at Illinois and at home against Rutgers, they'll finish the season at 17-14 overall and 8-12 in the Big Ten. That could get the job done. (Updated: March 2)

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

from Gassaway

Indiana Hoosiers

With still another thrilling win over Michigan State and a season sweep against the Spartans, Indiana is back in the bubble discussion. The Hoosiers can claim six Quad 1 wins on the year, and, while they also have suffered nine Quad 1 defeats, the high number of quality victories is sufficient for IU's profile to at least get a hearing "in the room" as they say. If (and it's no small if) Archie Miller's men win at Illinois and at home against Rutgers, they'll finish the season at 17-14 overall and 8-12 in the Big Ten. That could get the job done. (Updated: March 2)

That is a wild card. They said on B1G network that only 13 teams have more Quad 1 wins than IU

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

from Gassaway

Indiana Hoosiers

I am curious as to how that stacks up against Arizona St., Washington, NC State, Clemson, or some of the other teams perceived to be on the bubble?

Archived