How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Nebraska is a bad loss, then Michigan State has two bad losses on their resume (to Indiana).  IU's and Nebraska's metrics are very similar.  Let's hope Nebraska doesn't become a bad loss, because we'll be viewed the same way.  

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Nebraska is a bad loss, then Michigan State has two bad losses on their resume (to Indiana).  IU's and Nebraska's metrics are very similar.  Let's hope Nebraska doesn't become a bad loss, because we'll be viewed the same way.  

One would think Mich.ST is no longer a 2 seed then...does this make Purdue a 2-3 seed

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Serious Question, if we lose at Illinois and set at 15-15 ,how could we not have to win BTT to get in.

Way to move the goal posts....

Even in this scenario, if we picked up wins against Rutgers and 4 BTT wins we probably get in at 20-16 without winning the BTT. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Serious Question, if we lose at Illinois and set at 15-15 ,how could we not have to win BTT to get in.

We probably would, but as of today, that hasn't happened. UI and Rutgers are must-wins. Nobody is saying they're not.

The bubble is weak.  18 wins could do it but I'd rather be safe and win 19.  If we beat Illinois and Rutgers to close out the regular season we do not need to win the BTT.  A loss to either and we will have to make it to the BTT championship.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

The bubble is weak.  18 wins could do it but I'd rather be safe and win 19.  If we beat Illinois and Rutgers to close out the regular season we do not need to win the BTT.  A loss to either and we will have to make it to the BTT championship.

Go Hoosiers!!!

A loss to Rutgers at home (statistically) would be the worst B10 loss a team could have. That might do us in.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

We probably would, but as of today, that hasn't happened. UI and Rutgers are must-wins. Nobody is saying they're not.

I mean, we could lose in the finals but pick up 3 quad 1 wins which would likely get us to 10. I still think we'd get in that way. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

A loss to Rutgers at home (statistically) would be the worst B10 loss a team could have. That might do us in.

I agree that one would hurt us worse than an Illinois road loss.   

Every game I've watched today the announcers have talked about us.  We are in the conversation and after a terrible couple months that's amazing.  Just go win.

Go Hoosiers!!!

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean, we could lose in the finals but pick up 3 quad 1 wins which would likely get us to 10. I still think we'd get in that way. 

But a home loss to Rutgers might be a Q3. Right now, the fact we have no Q3-4 losses is what's keeping us alive. All the wins are good, but that part of our resume being blemish free is critical.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

But a home loss to Rutgers might be a Q3. Right now, the fact we have no Q3-4 losses is what's keeping us alive. All the wins are good, but that part of our resume being blemish free is critical.

I get that, but 10 quad 1 wins would compare with anyone in the country. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I get that, but 10 quad 1 wins would compare with anyone in the country. 

But everyone in that group doesn't have nearly as many total losses.

The whole Q1 wins/Q4 losses doesn't exist in a vacuum. Theoretically, a team could have gone 1-19 in the B10 without a Q3-4 loss this year, so long as they beat Rutgers at home.

All the other teams with 10 Q1 wins are in the single digits in losses. We've got to have something to counterbalance that.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

But everyone in that group doesn't have nearly as many total losses.

The whole Q1 wins/Q4 losses doesn't exist in a vacuum. Theoretically, a team could have gone 1-19 in the B10 without a Q3-4 loss this year, so long as they beat Rutgers at home.

All the other teams with 10 Q1 wins are in the single digits in losses. We've got to have something to counterbalance that.

I understand that, but none of them are bubble teams either. I'm not advocating for a high seed, but if we miss the tournament with 10 Q1 wins it may be the only team it ever happens to. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand that, but none of them are bubble teams either. I'm not advocating for a high seed, but if we miss the tournament with 10 Q1 wins it may be the only team it ever happens to. 

Hey, if anything describes this season, it's "anomaly".

48 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

IMO, three more wins (Rutgers, Illinois and one BTT game) and we’re dancing.  Some think two more wins (Illinois and Rutgers) does it.

I think this is right. We have the quad wins. This is a year when being at or about .500 and having a bad overall record in a power conf does not necessarily mean you're out. We have a number of really good wins, and sweeping #6 MSU didn't hurt. They also may look at the latter portion of the season, where we're obviously improving. After today, we look like a tourney team -- have to keep it up, though.

Archived