NBA Thread

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This is a really bold statement. LBJ is still an elite player without question, MJ was far from elite on the Wizards. 

You're right it's a bold statement and I may be just plain wrong.

I didn't say, though, that LBJ is no better than MJ when MJ returned, I said LBJ is is starting to remind me of MJ when he returned, and LBJ is slower. Watching him, I think it's pretty clear he is slower -- though again, he could flip the switch, we'll see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You're right it's a bold statement and I may be just plain wrong.

I didn't say, though, that LBJ is no better than MJ when MJ returned, I said LBJ is is starting to remind me of MJ when he returned, and LBJ is slower. Watching him, I think it's pretty clear he is slower -- though again, he could flip the switch, we'll see.

That's fair, I'm going to hold off until at least after the playoffs to believe LBJ is starting his downfall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Watching Raptors - Celtics and OG hits a 3 and Reggie Miller says, “Not a guy that knocks down 3’s, Anunoby a 39% 3pt shooter.”

Huh???

Maybe everyone’s a bit rusty...but no excuse...not like he didn’t have enough time during the lay-off to study up.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:44 PM, BGleas said:

Thought I’d add that I’m loving this NBA restart. It’s awesome, there’s games all day long. Got home from work and caught a little of the Nuggets-Thunder. Sat down after dinner and now catching some of the Grizz-Pelicans and tonight you have Lakers-Jazz.

I think it’s great and the NBA clearly has the best leadership of the major sports. 

The NBA is running circles around the other sports in terms of competent leadership.  

Rob Manfred has a peculiar Ivy League arrogance.  He may have tested well to go there, but there’s “book smart” and there is “creative, able to solve problems” smart.  The players association in baseball is part of the problem for sure but I blame Manfred.  Adam Silver and his team thought of a solution that’s fantastic.  You’re not even looking at empty seats. They thought of everything.   The 8 regular season games ginned up drama and allow the teams to acclimate prior to the playoffs.

The NBA is running on another level than the other sports.  I’d probably fire Manfred as soon as possible and I have never liked Goodell.  A monkey could make money for the NFL.  Their decision making is just off.  But Silver for the most part has a very well thought out design across the board.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

It’s a pointless exercise I guess but just think if we had guys like OG and Bryant stay at IU. 

Agree,  we have talked about it so many times but that recruiting class of Bryant, OG and Juwan was truly epic.  And many of us (like you and me and many others) were very excited about the class coming in so it’s not just hindsight.  Man I really like the games, enthusiasm , toughness, etc of all three guys.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The NBA is running circles around the other sports in terms of competent leadership.  

Rob Manfred has a peculiar Ivy League arrogance.  He may have tested well to go there, but there’s “book smart” and there is “creative, able to solve problems” smart.  The players association in baseball is part of the problem for sure but I blame Manfred.  Adam Silver and his team thought of a solution that’s fantastic.  You’re not even looking at empty seats. They thought of everything.   The 8 regular season games ginned up drama and allow the teams to acclimate prior to the playoffs.

The NBA is running on another level than the other sports.  I’d probably fire Manfred as soon as possible and I have never liked Goodell.  A monkey could make money for the NFL.  Their decision making is just off.  But Silver for the most part has a very well thought out design across the board.  

If he is doing such a good job why is ratings down so much? Why haven’t they addressed the issue with all the marketable stars out west playing when everyone is asleep? Why are they beholden to China? Sure the bubble thing makes sense...but was that a difficult decision when the NHL announced it first? Plenty of things can be improved....and that isn’t even touching the broader messaging on the players jerseys that has alienated a good portion of fans.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Watching the Pacer/Lakers game and just have to give it to how good James is because besides him and Davis that roster is not that good.

Yeah I mean I’m not a fan of him since the decision thing but he is the most dominant player of his generation hands down. All the tools, physical specimen, and unselfish to boot. A matchup nightmare...first it was MJ keeping the Pacers out of the finals then it was Lebron...very unlucky timing but NBA has always been star driven.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

If he is doing such a good job why is ratings down so much? Why haven’t they addressed the issue with all the marketable stars out west playing when everyone is asleep? Why are they beholden to China? Sure the bubble thing makes sense...but was that a difficult decision when the NHL announced it first? Plenty of things can be improved....and that isn’t even touching the broader messaging on the players jerseys that has alienated a good portion of fans.

Those are good points I hadn’t focused on.  I was more talking about the fact that the games I’ve seen were entertaining. The teams played really hard, and the overall quality was good.  I think the setup of the schedule and the playoffs has been great.  The virus is contained for the most part based on their strategy which has worked.  The visual of the game is pretty good.  You’re not looking at empty seats like in baseball.   

As for the jersey thing, the NBA will always back the players sensibilities and their freedom to do that.  That’s been their M.O.   They will let fans who don’t like it walk because they think they will get more fans that way. That’s their calculation on who their customer base is.  

Speaking only for myself I spent like 5 seconds on the jersey thing.  It’s just not something I’m hyper sensitive of.  I’m focused on the game. But I do accept and have no problem with the fact that we have lots of opinions in the country and as long as they aren’t hateful, I accept it.  I don’t agree with some concepts at all but I know it’s out there and I just let it go.  It’s just the way it will always be in a free society and with the constitution we have.  

As for the China thing, I haven’t noticed anything about that so I can’t really comment. They obviously have a market there and they are running a business just as lots of US businesses are in China from Apple to Nike to Starbucks.  And other companies actually outsource suppliers over there.  It’s commerce.  Personally, I’d like to see our companies divest from suppliers in China.  I think their government are thugs.  That doesn’t make their people bad.  It’s the government and their human rights violations, cheating, stealing IP, mendacity with the virus etc.  Hong Kong has fallen and it’s not really the NBA’s role or fault in that other than they want the market.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Those are good points I hadn’t focused on.  I was more talking about the fact that the games I’ve seen were entertaining. The teams played really hard, and the overall quality was good.  I think the setup of the schedule and the playoffs has been great.  The virus is contained for the most part based on their strategy which has worked.  The visual of the game is pretty good.  You’re not looking at empty seats like in baseball.   

As for the jersey thing, the NBA will always back the players sensibilities and their freedom to do that.  That’s been their M.O.   They will let fans who don’t like it walk because they think they will get more fans that way. That’s their calculation on who their customer base is.  

Speaking only for myself I spent like 5 seconds on the jersey thing.  It’s just not something I’m hyper sensitive of.  I’m focused on the game. But I do accept and have no problem with the fact that we have lots of opinions in the country and as long as they aren’t hateful, I accept it.  I don’t agree with some concepts at all but I know it’s out there and I just let it go.  It’s just the way it will always be in a free society and with the constitution we have.  

As for the China thing, I haven’t noticed anything about that so I can’t really comment. They obviously have a market there and they are running a business just as lots of US businesses are in China from Apple to Nike to Starbucks.  And other companies actually outsource suppliers over there.  It’s commerce.  Personally, I’d like to see our companies divest from suppliers in China.  I think their government are thugs.  That doesn’t make their people bad.  It’s the government and their human rights violations, cheating, stealing IP, mendacity with the virus etc.  Hong Kong has fallen and it’s not really the NBA’s role or fault in that other than they want the market.  

No worries...just id like to see them allow free speech from both sides. If your going to have BLM then why not allow a player to have a blue live matters or wear an American flag on the jersey...no they set up a list of approved messages and all supported one side with a few generic messages to go along. Nba is incredibly powerful entity and they could stand up to China easily. It isn’t even publicly taking a stand as allowing their players, owners, and gms have an opinion. China said they would squash showing their games and selling merchandise etc if they didn’t stop the Support/free Hong Kong Stuff. But the NBA has such a presence there with the people it can make their govt even more less popular and you add stuff like this on top of enough things then it can start a revolution. It’s just weak honestly. This is America...free speech...but yet they don’t really believe in it.

Anyways it’s all good. I just wish these sports leagues would take a neural stance or none at all. Is that too much to ask? I think a lot of people feel that way privately...also maybe why the numbers have been so abysmal for the return of all these leagues. People just don’t care to be preached to. MJs old saying “republicans by sneakers too” lol. Funny how it used to be people saying keep your religion etc out of the public square or don’t force it on me but that only goes one way I guess.

You are right though about the build up to the playoffs and bubble thing. That has been handled the right way. Credit to them for that and for the players so far sticking to it. I thought they might be too pre madonas to follow the rules but most have. I wish the Pacers were totally healthy..because we’ve seen that some teams don’t look in rhythm and some teams surprise. I think they could make a deep run and catch some big teams napping...but we will see! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No worries...just id like to see them allow free speech from both sides. If your going to have BLM then why not allow a player to have a blue live matters or wear an American flag on the jersey...no they set up a list of approved messages and all supported one side with a few generic messages to go along. Nba is incredibly powerful entity and they could stand up to China easily. It isn’t even publicly taking a stand as allowing their players, owners, and gms have an opinion. China said they would squash showing their games and selling merchandise etc if they didn’t stop the Support/free Hong Kong Stuff. But the NBA has such a presence there with the people it can make their govt even more less popular and you add stuff like this on top of enough things then it can start a revolution. It’s just weak honestly. This is America...free speech...but yet they don’t really believe in it.

Anyways it’s all good. I just wish these sports leagues would take a neural stance or none at all. Is that too much to ask? I think a lot of people feel that way privately...also maybe why the numbers have been so abysmal for the return of all these leagues. People just don’t care to be preached to. MJs old saying “republicans by sneakers too” lol. Funny how it used to be people saying keep your religion etc out of the public square or don’t force it on me but that only goes one way I guess.

You are right though about the build up to the playoffs and bubble thing. That has been handled the right way. Credit to them for that and for the players so far sticking to it. I thought they might be too pre madonas to follow the rules but most have. I wish the Pacers were totally healthy..because we’ve seen that some teams don’t look in rhythm and some teams surprise. I think they could make a deep run and catch some big teams napping...but we will see! 

Definitely all good.  I just wanted to be clear that I wasn’t even thinking about China or politics when I made my original post, just that it seemed to be working on the court.  In baseball, the Cardinals have missed, what, 9 games?  How will that be made up?  I don’t see how the NFL will avoid the same fate unless our numbers go way down (fingers crossed that it happens).  

• Like 1

Think we’re seeing the next Larry Bird, or Magic, in Luca. 19 assists last night - 2 TO’s - along with a monster stat line and another incredible pass to beat the Bucks. Youngest player to lead the League in triple doubles, and the Mavs offense statistically was actually the best in the League this year. 
He’s not particularly athletic, he still looks a bit soft (deceptive, as he’s strong against contact), and at 22 he’s only going to keep getting better. Closest superstar like him I can think of is Bird, because of his incredible skill level coupled with making everyone around him better, without being the most dominant player physically on the court. This guy is a legit HOF’er in the making 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Think we’re seeing the next Larry Bird, or Magic, in Luca. 19 assists last night - 2 TO’s - along with a monster stat line and another incredible pass to beat the Bucks. Youngest player to lead the League in triple doubles, and the Mavs offense statistically was actually the best in the League this year. 
He’s not particularly athletic, he still looks a bit soft (deceptive, as he’s strong against contact), and at 22 he’s only going to keep getting better. Closest superstar like him I can think of is Bird, because of his incredible skill level coupled with making everyone around him better, without being the most dominant player physically on the court. This guy is a legit HOF’er in the making 

Agree. Luca is amazing. 

With that said, imagine Bird in this era where guys just bomb 3’s all day long, and offense is basically just give the ball to your best player and set continuous ball screens for him all possession long until he either shoots or draws the defense in to hit a teammate for an open 3?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Definitely all good.  I just wanted to be clear that I wasn’t even thinking about China or politics when I made my original post, just that it seemed to be working on the court.  In baseball, the Cardinals have missed, what, 9 games?  How will that be made up?  I don’t see how the NFL will avoid the same fate unless our numbers go way down (fingers crossed that it happens).  

I’m sorry...to everyone on here. Some days the frustration boils over. No reason to air out my personal grievances with current culture changes on here. I love this country and I know people in these sports do too...even if I disagree with how they are exercising their opinions. I’ll drop all that because people are here for sports not politics which is what I have been saying what they were doing. I should take my own advise lol.

The  bubble is working. NHL too. Baseball would have been smart doing the spring training parks in Florida and Arizona but players just weren’t buying it. Their union is too strong. NFL is just too big... far too many players, personnel, and just size of the game would be basically almost impossible. They just have to make do with the facilities they have and try to maybe quarantine team at home facility and take private jets etc. It isn’t ideal but you just have to power through.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Sacto is annoying. Yogi needs a new home. Corey Joseph starts, plays 28 min, gets 4 points on 1-4 shooting and 2 assists.

Yogi - 4 min, 8 points on 2-3 shooting, and 1 assist. 

It’s not apples to apples, some garbage time, but Sacto loses again, by 17, and this is how they’re managed and coached. Buddy Hield now playing off bench (25 min), Brewer gets 5 min, Jeffries 30, James 5, all more than Yogi off bench, with Joseph starting and Fox and Bogdanovich taking up most minutes starting at point and the 2. Yogi took the better contract but in a worse situation and no signs it is getting better. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Sacto is annoying. Yogi needs a new home. Corey Joseph starts, plays 28 min, gets 4 points on 1-4 shooting and 2 assists.

Yogi - 4 min, 8 points on 2-3 shooting, and 1 assist. 

It’s not apples to apples, some garbage time, but Sacto loses again, by 17, and this is how they’re managed and coached. Buddy Hield now playing off bench (25 min), Brewer gets 5 min, Jeffries 30, James 5, all more than Yogi off bench, with Joseph starting and Fox and Bogdanovich taking up most minutes starting at point and the 2. Yogi took the better contract but in a worse situation and no signs it is getting better. 

Going to Sacto was not a good long term career choice for Yogi. He really could be out of the league once this deal is up. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Going to Sacto was not a good long term career choice for Yogi. He really could be out of the league once this deal is up. 

After this season he will have earned 8mil in the pros. 

Goes and plays 3-4 years over seas... 

He should have no problem having a very, very comfortable life. (Obviously I know you agree) just saying...maybe basketball is nearing its end for Yogi. Not that that's a bad thing. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

After this season he will have earned 8mil in the pros. 

Goes and plays 3-4 years over seas... 

He should have no problem having a very, very comfortable life. (Obviously I know you agree) just saying...maybe basketball is nearing its end for Yogi. Not that that's a bad thing. 

Agree with all of that. But, I’d bet Yogi’s goal/dream is to have a 12 year NBA career, and I’m not sure the move to Sacto was a good one in terms of that goal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree with all of that. But, I’d bet Yogi’s goal/dream is to have a 12 year NBA career, and I’m not sure the move to Sacto was a good one in terms of that goal. 

Yes I agree.

Thing is he was coming off a strong play and recognition in Dallas, I'm sure he was confident he could play his way into a solid rotation in Sacto -- but his reference point was the Dallas organization and management, and Carlisle's coaching.

Sacto looked like it was turning the corner, but Sacto's front office management and coaching have again shown their limitations, and Yogi is left out on a limb. He likely didn't see any of this coming. He wouldn't have had great playing time in Dallas, but he was liked and respected there, had proven himself, and almost certainly would've been given much better chances under Carlise and the Dallas front office.

Hope he finds a new NBA home, he can play in the League, in the right place.

• Like 1