Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

Maybe the two posters can find a private chat room and hammer it out together. 4 pages of nonsense. Regarding game. Blowout wins on the road are always hard to come by. Just wish Illinois was better so it actually meant something to the committee. I think we discussed on here a couple of weeks ago. Illinois just isn't good. Couple of wins had their fans buying the Underwood fools gold. 

Regarding us. Another game of 5 scorers in double figures. Repeat this again. Rob P is going to very, very special. You can see his confidence growing with each possession. Solid contributions from all.....Archie tightening the bench as we get to closing time. No issue with that at all. Really, really liking this group right now. 

PS...maybe Illinois AD can write in a bonus for Underwood when they beat Northwestern or Southern Illinois. 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I work with this stuff every day. I see HiveQL queries and HDFS configurations in my sleep. And holy hell could I not disagree more.

Data is nothing more than a map, and a map is only as good as the person reading it. Hand some people a map and they're still lost. Hand the right person even a below average map and they'll still find their way around.

Big data isn't the key to everything. The person interpreting it is.

There's a famous example that is from WW2. The US military wanted to reinforce the areas of planes that were most likely to cause a crash if hit by enemy fire. So they began recording the location of every bullet hole on every plane they could find and the level of damage it caused. They compiled all of this, mapping out the average likelihood of area hit, average level of damage, so on and so on. After the crew of engineers compiled all of this, did they reinforce those areas that showed the highest tendency to get hit?

Nope. They reinforced the areas that showed almost no damage. A pilot pointed out to them that "You're only looking at the planes that made it back."

Data can tell you a lot of things. It takes the right person to look for the things it isn't telling you.

You can have every statistical tool out there and still be wrong if you're interpreting it wrong. I've done it many, many times.

Yep. I'm always amazed when  people discuss the data of things they did wrong. Not build on what they did right. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe the two posters can find a private chat room and hammer it out together. 4 pages of nonsense. Regarding game. Blowout wins on the road are always hard to come by. Just wish Illinois was better so it actually meant something to the committee. I think we discussed on hear a couple of weeks ago. Illinois just isn't good. Couple of wins had their fans buying the Underwood fools gold. 

Regarding us. Another game of 5 scorers in double figures. Repeat this again. Rob P is going to very, very special. You can see his confidence growing with each possession. Solid contributions from all.....Archie tightening the bench as we get to closing time. No issue with that at all. Really, really liking this group right now. 

PS...maybe Illinois AD can write in a bonus for Underwood when they beat Northwestern or Southern Illinois. 

Agreed on all counts, and any road win in the B1G this year is a good win. It was especially impressive the way we did it, dominating from beginning to end. Agreed on RP - pretty clear that he's the most important player on this team, and as he goes, we go. It's amazing what a difference two weeks makes, too - we've gone from bottom feeders in the conference to the most dangerous team. It's looking like we're headed for an 8/9 game in the BTT that will essentially be a play in game for the NCAAs. 

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed on all counts, and any road win in the B1G this year is a good win. It was especially impressive the way we did it, dominating from beginning to end. Agreed on RP - pretty clear that he's the most important player on this team, and as he goes, we go. It's amazing what a difference two weeks makes, too - we've gone from bottom feeders in the conference to the most dangerous team. It's looking like we're headed for an 8/9 game in the BTT that will essentially be a play in game for the NCAAs. 

I actually believe when we beat Rutgers we should be in.  Now if we lose in first round of BTT it's a different deal. 17-14 considering the quad 1 quality wins, no bad losses and even if it doesn't find it's a way to analytics...someone in the committee room has to step up and mention the injuries. Don't know the exact number yet but I felt like we had at least 20 dunks/layups. Underwood was clearly out coached because most grade school coaches typically make an adjustment after the first dozen layups. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I actually believe when we beat Rutgers we should be in.  Now if we lose in first round of BTT it's a different deal. 17-14 considering the quad 1 quality wins, no bad losses and even if it doesn't find it's a way to analytics...someone in the committee room has to step up and mention the injuries. Don't know the exact number yet but I felt like we had at least 20 dunks/layups. Underwood was clearly out coached because most grade school coaches typically make an adjustment after the first dozen layups. 

I've heard conflicting comments on whether they will consider injuries or not this year. Jay Bilas said on one of the pregame shows a week or two ago that they weren't doing that this year, but I find that kind of hard to believe (or it's possible I misheard/misunderstood what he was saying). I think you can look at RP's concussion as a pretty big factor in our losing skid, and considering how we've played when he is healthy, I would think that would be enough to get us in. 

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I've heard conflicting comments on whether they will consider injuries or not this year. Jay Bilas said on one of the pregame shows a week or two ago that they weren't doing that this year, but I find that kind of hard to believe (or it's possible I misheard/misunderstood what he was saying). I think you can look at RP's concussion as a pretty big factor in our losing skid, and considering how we've played when he is healthy, I would think that would be enough to get us in. 

Guess we'll find out on injuries when they seed Duke. With Zion 1 seed. Without...2 maybe 3 seed. 

28 minutes ago, rico said:

The most important thing in sports...getting hot at the right time.  And we are HOT.

That's a bit of a stretch don't you think.  Beating Wisky and MSU by a combined 3 points and a blowout against a terrible Illinois team and suddenly we're HOT?  We had lost 12 of the previous 13.  I agree though that last night we looked really good.

A couple of things I noticed...

I thought when De'ron got in Bezhanishvili's face for getting physical it was a turning point. Giorgio had backed down Juwan a couple of times and got easy hoops. He tried it on De'ron and it wasn't flying. I said in another thread, De'ron is an emotional leader on this team. We're much better with him playing a lot of minutes.

And the other thing I can't help but think, is Illinois pressure defense plays into our hands. It allows our guys to drive past them and, if we can finish through contact, score. They're physical, and we were able to take it. Teams that sag off a little and let us shoot from outside, while clogging the paint seem to have more success against us, although our outside shooting has improved.

On to Senior Night, where I hope the guys can give Evan, Juwan, Zach, and Quentin a good send off!

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe the two posters can find a private chat room and hammer it out together. 4 pages of nonsense. Regarding game. Blowout wins on the road are always hard to come by. Just wish Illinois was better so it actually meant something to the committee. I think we discussed on here a couple of weeks ago. Illinois just isn't good. Couple of wins had their fans buying the Underwood fools gold. 

It does mean something even if Illinois isn't very good, its another win for IU on the road.  4 wins away from Assembly Hall compared to 3 road/neutral wins is better, win at least one game in the BIG tourney which is a neutral site and 5 road/neutral wins would be significantly better than 4 when the committee reviews us in addition to our Quad 1 wins and no quad 3/4 loses

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A couple of things I noticed...

I thought when De'ron got in Bezhanishvili's face for getting physical it was a turning point. Giorgio had backed down Juwan a couple of times and got easy hoops. He tried it on De'ron and it wasn't flying. I said in another thread, De'ron is an emotional leader on this team. We're much better with him playing a lot of minutes.

And the other thing I can't help but think, is Illinois pressure defense plays into our hands. It allows our guys to drive past them and, if we can finish through contact, score. They're physical, and we were able to take it. Teams that sag off a little and let us shoot from outside, while clogging the paint seem to have more success against us, although our outside shooting has improved.

On to Senior Night, where I hope the guys can give Evan, Juwan, Zach, and Quentin a good send off!

I was just going to write the same thing. Yes, we looked great last night and I don’t mean to short change us, but Underwood’s stubbornness/bad game plan really made our offense look outstanding last night. I though everybody knew, whether you have bigs or not, against IU you pack the paint! Illinois pressing us so far out really played into our hand. 

1 minute ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Here's another reason yesterday's win was so impressive- Illinois shot 10-21 from three point land and we still destroyed them.  

How often do you go on the road and destroy a team that shoots 10-21 from behind the arc?

They shot I believe 50% overall and 47% from 3 and we still depantsed them on senior night at their joint. One other thing I think a couple of us discussed in pregame thread. Really, really happy how we finished at the rim. Didn't miss the easy ones. I think it was 16-12 Illinois and Davis made what looked like a very normal and 1....but it was important to finish. Momentum can swing on little plays like that. 

42 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was just going to write the same thing. Yes, we looked great last night and I don’t mean to short change us, but Underwood’s stubbornness/bad game plan really made our offense look outstanding last night. I though everybody knew, whether you have bigs or not, against IU you pack the paint! Illinois pressing us so far out really played into our hand. 

So, will Illinois deduct $15k from Underwood's pay after last night.

Rob ran the offense like he was playing a video game. He and Devonte combined for 11 assists and 0 turnovers. Add in Romeo as a primary ballhandler and it was 14 to 1. Illinois averages over 7 steals per game and they had 2.

DeRon also had three assists, but it seemed like more. His court awareness was great.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Of course it would be great if zillinois was better, could always use another Quad 1win, but I actually this win helps a bit otherwise. One negative I have seen people use is that our Quad 2 record was bad, we only had 1 Quad 2 win and the optics on the screen of seeing 1-whatever (can’t remember the # of losses) in Quad 2 games just looked bad. The record is still bad but 2 wins just looks better than 1. 

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So, will Illinois deduct $15k from Underwood's pay after last night.

Rob ran the offense like he was playing a video game. He and Devonte combined for 11 assists and 0 turnovers. Add in Romeo as a primary ballhandler and it was 14 to 1. Illinois averages over 7 steals per game and they had 2.

DeRon also had three assists, but it seemed like more. His court awareness was great.

I'll say what I said in pregame. Illinois has a couple nice players. Sounds like Giorgi has been sick. Ayo seems capable (but not seeing the lofty recruiting rankings)....but if I were an Illini fan headed into the off season this finish to the year leads to far more questions than answers. 

9 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I'm 34. I started fooling data 20 years ago. I'm a big believer in big data. It holds the keys to everything. Whether you find the right things and are looking in the right direction is another thing.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Of course it would be great if zillinois was better, could always use another Quad 1win, but I actually this win helps a bit otherwise. One negative I have seen people use is that our Quad record was bad, we only had 1 Quad 2 win and the optics on the screen of seeing 1-whatever (can’t remember the # of losses) in Quad 2 games just looked bad. The record is still bad but 2 wins just looks better than 1. 

I thought I read somewhere that this was our third Quad 2 win.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll say what I said in pregame. Illinois has a couple nice players. Sounds like Giorgi has been sick. Ayo seems capable (but not seeing the lofty recruiting rankings)....but if I were an Illini fan headed into the off season this finish to the year leads to far more questions than answers. 

This sums up the mood on the Illini board:

What was the defensive game plan? Team was poorly prepared for this game. Out hustled, outcoached, outplayed. Horrible free throw shooting.

and this:

If tonight didn't give him pause about this scheme, nothing will. IU has 1.58 points per possession in the first half. Their previous high was 1.29 against....Chicago St. I don't care how undermanned we are inside. That is completely unacceptable and embarrassing.

Again, watched the game recorded as was at the curling house most of the night.

Great win, by a team who is playing their best ball at the right time. How refreshing when we had become accustomed to our teams wearing down at the end of the year.

-IMO, yesterday was a coming out party for Rob. What total control of the game. He was masterful in handling the Illini pressure and reading the floor, making the right decisions. His stat line says it all. Points and assists with no turnovers.

- I saw a team that was businesslike, but also having fun. The kids seemed to celebrate each other's successes and played with a lot of enthusiasm. Hard to see any evidence of pettiness or dysfunction on the team.

- We won again without getting much contribution from Romeo. Good to see the points get spread around. Good to see Romeo not try to force things to "get his." Good to see Romeo not going into a funk and pouting because he wasn't scoring.

- It was said earlier, but I hope Davis can work in the off season to improve his vertical. We give up 4-6 points a game because he lacks the explosion to go up and  dunk. Instead, he has to lay it up and it gets blocked.

- Dakich can take about ten lessons from Stephen Bardo on how to announce a game played by your alma mater without being an a$$.Bardo did an excellent job of remaining neutral and not letting the viewers know that he had played for the Illini

- If I am a patient, I do not want "Data man" on the other end of the stethoscope. Medicine has become too cold and clinical as it is. I want the doc who can relate to me, show compassion, and hear what I am feeling. Certainly don't want to be another number or statistic.

-Onward and upward. Rutgers has been playing better ball, so can't overlook them. After we beat them, then start worrying about the conference tournament.

Archived