2019 coaching changes

rico

30 minutes ago, TexasLonghorn said:

Texas A&M will likely hire Buzz Williams. Bama's top candidates seem to be Prohm and Thad Matta. Texas would like to fire Shaka, but his buyout is around $13 million. It's rumored that both our AD and his agent are separately backchanneling to find him a new job. If he leaves, Chris Beard would be the top candidate. He's a UT alum, but Loves Texas Tech and is well compensated so it'd be a tough pull.

Welcome to the board!

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TexasLonghorn said:

Texas A&M will likely hire Buzz Williams. Bama's top candidates seem to be Prohm and Thad Matta. Texas would like to fire Shaka, but his buyout is around $13 million. It's rumored that both our AD and his agent are separately backchanneling to find him a new job. If he leaves, Chris Beard would be the top candidate. He's a UT alum, but Loves Texas Tech and is well compensated so it'd be a tough pull.

My instant reaction: "Why the hell would Fred Glass be...*sees username*... Oh... More :coffee:"

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why would he leave Virginia Tech isn't that his alma mater? I do know A&M has huge money from their football program

Williams has degrees from Oklahoma City University and Texas A&M Kingsville. He's also been an assistant at A&M and A&M Kingsville.

As for why? Look at the perrenial powers in the ACC  vs the SEC. To win the ACC at VaTech, you've got to hope Duke, UNC, Virginia, Louisville and Syracuse are all having a down year simultaneously. With the SEC, the only real perennial power is the blue Death Star (Aside: Cal's hair does somewhat resemble Darth Vader's helmet). At A&M, you've got a puncher's chance against Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi State, etc.

17 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Williams has degrees from Oklahoma City University and Texas A&M Kingsville. He's also been an assistant at A&M and A&M Kingsville.

As for why? Look at the perrenial powers in the ACC  vs the SEC. To win the ACC at VaTech, you've got to hope Duke, UNC, Virginia, Louisville and Syracuse are all having a down year simultaneously. With the SEC, the only real perennial power is the blue Death Star (Aside: Cal's hair does somewhat resemble Darth Vader's helmet). At A&M, you've got a puncher's chance against Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi State, etc.

You left out Georgia.

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

You don't think Crean will have some decent to good seasons at Georgia?

He did at Marquette and Indiana, why would we expect differently at Georgia?

Indeed. He'll put UGA back into the discussion. I think Crean's got a good chance to do well at a place like UGA. Before he got to the UGA, he's won about 23 games/season in his 15 years as a head coach (I took his first 2 years at IU out to be fair). On average, he's a NCAAT coach with occasional Sweet 16s. That sounds like a success at UGA. I think after several years of good run, he'd get a chance at a bigger program one more time. 

35 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Indeed. He'll put UGA back into the discussion. I think Crean's got a good chance to do well at a place like UGA. Before he got to the UGA, he's won about 23 games/season in his 15 years as a head coach (I took his first 2 years at IU out to be fair). On average, he's a NCAAT coach with occasional Sweet 16s. That sounds like a success at UGA. I think after several years of good run, he'd get a chance at a bigger program one more time.  

Actually, I think a program like UGA is the perfect level for Crean.  He's a good enough coach to put pressure on Calipari and the rest of the SEC, but he's prone to inconsistency, both within individual seasons and from season to season.  If he could win 20+ games every 4 out of 6 years, and win the conference and/or make a S16 every 3 or 4 years (as long as they're otherwise competitive), UGA would be thrilled.  And there's a chance he catches magic in a bottle and goes further than that. 

He's not consistent enough to be in a place where 2nd/3rd in the conference and the 2nd round of the tournament is a "C+" year. 

39 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Actually, I think a program like UGA is the perfect level for Crean.  He's a good enough coach to put pressure on Calipari and the rest of the SEC, but he's prone to inconsistency, both within individual seasons and from season to season.  If he could win 20+ games every 4 out of 6 years, and win the conference and/or make a S16 every 3 or 4 years (as long as they're otherwise competitive), UGA would be thrilled.  And there's a chance he catches magic in a bottle and goes further than that. 

He's not consistent enough to be in a place where 2nd/3rd in the conference and the 2nd round of the tournament is a "C+" year. 

I always thought Crean was a better coach than some would give him credit for.  Is he a great coach no but a horrible coach would not win two outright big ten championships and go to 3 sweet 16's.  Also he had a pretty good record against top 10 opponents so he could coach a little.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Personally, I wish him to stay at UGA for a long time. He's already made UGA basketball more exciting than his predecessor in his first season. We all know Crean is a good salesman. His presence and engagement with fans are just top notch. But I also think Crean is very ambitious and believes firmly in himself (which can be a good thing and a bad thing). My guess is if one of the blue blood programs offers him several years down the stretch, he'd take it because deep down, he'd want to be the focal point. At UGA, Kirby Smart is the king, and all the other football head coaches after him. Unless Crean starts hanging the championship banners, he and his program will be an afterthought at UGA.

maybe....Georgia is in the middle of football country. There is a lot of talent in the Atlanta area, but will he capture any of that. Will Crean have learned from his experience in Indiana and not piss off the majority of the high school coaches, or will he repeat his mistakes by acting arrogant as he did here? 

If he can recruit high level players, his team will be a success. Bigger if in Georgia than it was here. If he can't get that level of talent to come to Athens, his coaching coaching chops won't compensate, based on everything I have seen of him.

2nd/3rd in the conference and R32 is an A+++++++++ year for IU at this point.

Archived