2019 coaching changes

rico

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He’s from Texas and was an A&M assistant for a year, so he may see this as a long term gig

That may be the case, but it's also his 3rd school in 7 years and all the moves were lateral at best. If I'm recruiting against him, I'm telling kids that you have no idea if he'll be the head coach at Illinois, Washington State or somewhere else before you graduate. 

Listening to CBS radio at lunch and was discussing why Williams is leaving these schools after a few years.  I guess he thinks that coaches shouldn't stay at one place to long because eventually they will tune you out and you will eventually get fired.  the announcers think that eventually Williams will get the job he wants for his career and then stay there.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

That may be the case, but it's also his 3rd school in 7 years and all the moves were lateral at best. If I'm recruiting against him, I'm telling kids that you have no idea if he'll be the head coach at Illinois, Washington State or somewhere else before you graduate. 

Big East to ACC, upgrade. 

Current gig to his alma mater, personal meaning.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Marquette to VaTech isn't an upgrade. He got a masters from a Texas A&M satellite campus. 

He got out before he was forced out at Marquette. There was a lot of grumbling around campus and among the leadership at Marquette at the time. Rumors of player sexual assault coverups, etc. A new AD, or some other higher up, was coming in and the word was he was going to get fired after this person to the position. 

He is also one to recruit dirty. He literally told Brad Stevens that this isn’t the horizon league anymore, you’re going to have to  get dirty like the rest of us. Brad went back to the locker room after this happened and told the entire staff what was said. He couldn’t believe it. 

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Marquette has more Sweet Sixteen appearances in their history than Va Tech does overall tournament appearances. Marquette is a way better program. 

Historically, Marquette has won........I still feel Va Tech is a better job.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Historically, Marquette has won........I still feel Va Tech is a better job.

I don’t know that I agree, but I can see where you’re coming from especially given the changes to the Big East. 10 years ago when the Big East still had Cuse, UConn, Pitt was strong, WVA, etc., Marquette was definitely the better job. The Big East not being what is was probably levels this discussion a bit. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know that I agree, but I can see where you’re coming from especially given the changes to the Big East. 10 years ago when the Big East still had Cuse, UConn, Pitt was strong, WVA, etc., Marquette was definitely the better job. The Big East not being what is was probably levels this discussion a bit. 

And that is exactly where I am coming from.  Simply a conference stand point.  

Va Tech is a football school playing in a basketball conference. Their facilities, including the arena they play in, are woefully outdated. Given the amount of money brought in by Power 5 conferences, that is unacceptable.

Marquette is a basketball only school. Its athletic resources are first and foremost going to be spent on the basketball program. Yes, the Big East does not hold the cache that the ACC does from an overall standpoint, but we did have one of their schools win two of the last 3 tournaments. Not like the Big East is a slouch.

12 hours ago, Feathery said:

He is also one to recruit dirty. He literally told Brad Stevens that this isn’t the horizon league anymore, you’re going to have to  get dirty like the rest of us. Brad went back to the locker room after this happened and told the entire staff what was said. He couldn’t believe it. 

Interesting story.  I believe it's because of recruiting that Stevens left the college game and is unlikely to return.  I can't blame him.

Archived