2019 coaching changes

rico

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not entirely. The AD had to give Mullin the dreaded public endorsement, which is never a good sign.

It’s hard for me to see NBA super stars with tons of money and fame putting in the hard hard work of a college coach....takes a special person because of the work necessary to be successful.

UCLA looking like a bunch of idiots with these offers.   But what I'm afraid of is that Billy D. will get canned after OKC loses in the 1st round.    UCLA's incompetence could be a blessing if he's available.   At this point they may as well wait it out.  Hiring a mid major or an up and coming assistant should be the fallback plan.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

UCLA looking like a bunch of idiots with these offers.   But what I'm afraid of is that Billy D. will get canned after OKC loses in the 1st round.    UCLA's incompetence could be a blessing if he's available.   At this point they may as well wait it out.  Hiring a mid major or an up and coming assistant should be the fallback plan.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Even if he does (which I think would be a bad move on OKC's part), that's assuming he wants to come back to college vs waiting a year or two for another NBA job to open up.

IMO, this horribly botched UCLA search has been interesting (and a bit amusing).

This is a school with a rich tradition, in a location that provides large advantages and with no looming sanctions.  Despite that, they've struck out with coaches that wouldn't generally be seen as home run hires (excepting the longshot in Calipari). It illustrates just how rarely a team makes an earth shattering hire, but jeez this situation has been a large fail it appears.  One would think that with months to conduct a search and have back channel communications they'd have things close to done at the conclusion of the season.  Maybe they end up pulling a rabbit out of their hat,  but so far it makes me even more happy with the coach we have.

PS - Someone might tell them Mike Davis would probably be interested...

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

It should've been Pearl from the beginning.  How incompetent do you have to be to become the AD at a major university?

Well that is news coming from you.......did you fall off the Marshall wagon?

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

So does NKU coach go to Cincy and Alford to NKU is that beneath him

I can't imagine Alford going to NKU.  Has Nevada hired a coach yet?  Alford had his greatest success in that conference with New Mexico.  I thought it was a mistake at the time for him to leave there.  If I were him, I'd be putting out feelers about that job.  

22 minutes ago, Chad B said:

A decent hire, but surprised they could not do better.  Rather have Archie than Mick, but relatively comparable.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ucla-coaching-search-ends-with-mick-cronin-leaving-cincinnati-to-take-over-bruins/

I think Archie has a higher ceiling, but Cronin is consistent and, by all accounts, clean.  His teams don't play a glamorous style, but they're always tough. 

Archived