2019 coaching changes

rico

11 hours ago, rico said:

You got that right.  He feels right at home.

Exactly and the expectations wouldn’t be ridiculous...at Tech even if you miss a tourney here and there while you rebuild classes and if you can make a sweet 16 every so often you are in great shape. Texas wants to win conference championships and fight it out with Kansas etc...expectations are very high. Perfect fit...appropriate expectations...good bosses...grass isn’t always greener and heck he recruits well enough.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelvin Sampson knows how to coach.  His teams can be very Izzo-like.  But I can't respect the fact that he doesn't factor in a kid's character into his recruiting, and/or does not manage them properly off the court.  Plus his blatant flouting of the rules, after literally being penalized and warned, is ridiculous.  I'd think UCLA can find a way to win without him.  Arkansas?  Who knows, they've been floundering in football and basketball for years.  They may be desperate.

Tech gave Chris Beard 6 years and $19 M.  Maybe UCLA knocks that offer out of the park.  

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kelvin Sampson knows how to coach.  His teams can be very Izzo-like.  But I can't respect the fact that he doesn't factor in a kid's character into his recruiting, and/or does not manage them properly off the court.  Plus his blatant flouting of the rules, after literally being penalized and warned, is ridiculous.  I'd think UCLA can find a way to win without him.  Arkansas?  Who knows, they've been floundering in football and basketball for years.  They may be desperate.

Tech gave Chris Beard 6 years and $19 M.  Maybe UCLA knocks that offer out of the park.  

Given the difference in cost of living, they'd have to nearly double it to make it an equitable offer IMO. 

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If Beard is unavailable they should hire Pearl.  He'd be a beast out there.

“Dixon and Cronin emerged as leading candidates after a bevy of more coveted coaches expressed no interest, were eliminated through the school’s vetting process or declined to be interviewed until after the Final Four.”

Not sure why you wouldn’t just wait for two of the best candidates to be available for an interview... It’s not like Cronin and Dixon are hot commodities.

44 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-basketball-cronin-dixon-calipari-20190401-story.html

Yikes... UCLA going through the same reckoning IU did two years ago, except their options are worse...

UCLA has had how many coaches since Wooden retired?  Seems like they are always going through some sort of "reckoning".

Just now, rico said:

UCLA has had how many coaches since Wooden retired?  Seems like they are always going through some sort of "reckoning".

Being an Indiana fan, I'm not going to say anything. Something about the pot throwing a black stone at the kettle in a glass house or something.

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Being an Indiana fan, I'm not going to say anything. Something about the pot throwing a black stone at the kettle in a glass house or something.

Well, I will say it.  45 years now............we are only at 20.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

“Dixon and Cronin emerged as leading candidates after a bevy of more coveted coaches expressed no interest, were eliminated through the school’s vetting process or declined to be interviewed until after the Final Four.”

Not sure why you wouldn’t just wait for two of the best candidates to be available for an interview... It’s not like Cronin and Dixon are hot commodities.

Ridiculous not to wait. Dixon and Cronin aren’t going anywhere. 

51 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Just saw on ESPN that Vanderbilt is in talks with Jerry Stackhouse about their opening. 

That would be a really good hire...I even mentioned it several days back in the Drew thread. I think however he is looking to stay in the NBA...more to being a college coach then coaching.

Archived