Joey Brunk (Butler transfer) Commits to IU

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Well, maybe he goes to Georgia. I was trying to stay optimistic about Justin for next season bc he is just a sophomore. But his Dad cannot do this crap. I don’t think the son should be held responsible for the actions of the father. But from a culture standpoint, you can’t have this around a program. Any successful program can’t have someone setting a negative tone. When you recruit, you recruit the family. I wouldn’t want Lanzo Ball and I think it time for Mr. Smith to have his son transfer. 

You are correct in that the entire family gets recruited.

For that reason, as much as I am confident that there has already been “the talk “ with Justin,  I feel there needs to be a conversation with the dad. 

Shooter couldn’t control his drinking and it affected his son. Me. Smith doesn’t seem to be able to control his mouth, and I wonder if he’s having a similar affect on Justin 

59 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why? What has the kid done? He can’t control his dad. 

Justin is a really bright kid. Pretty sure he made academic all conference. He may or may not become the player that his athleticism suggests he could be, but I bet he figures it out.

CAM has the opportunity to stick by a kid and help him grow, or he can throw him out with the bath water. Unless Justin is doing the same as his dad, I think it would send a horrible message for the coaches to give up on him

Because if his dad keeps doing this is a big distraction to the program which we don't need. Justin either needs to talk to his dad and get him to shut up or he needs to find somewhere else to play. 

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You are correct in that the entire family gets recruited.

For that reason, as much as I am confident that there has already been “the talk “ with Justin,  I feel there needs to be a conversation with the dad. 

Shooter couldn’t control his drinking and it affected his son. Me. Smith doesn’t seem to be able to control his mouth, and I wonder if he’s having a similar affect on Justin 

It’s like Mr. Smith thought his son was on par with the top guys and has a NBA future. Justin has been given a large role within the team and hasn’t progressed to the point of being a top player. Honestly, if he turned it over less and got to a 30+% 3 pet shooter next year, he would be a starter and a quality player. 

He constantly shoots the ball on the way down on his jump shot. Doesn’t take a coach to know that a problem. Get in the gym and fix it. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Did I stumble into a Joey Brunk thread?  I thought I did...maybe I need to lay off the "Billy Beer" that I have had since 1980.

Agreed...needs put in the Smith thread...it’s a legit topic of discussion but this isn’t the place. Welcome Joey...work hard and improve..we need it.

What makes the tweets so incredibly puzzling is that we’re not talking about a kid that showed all these flashes but was inexplicably stuck on the bench. Smith had every opportunity and then some to take a huge leap this season and he flat out didn’t capitalize on it. Teams literally didn’t even attempt to guard him. 

I don’t really understand what his dad is so upset about? It wasn’t Archie airballing wide open shots, falling asleep off the ball defensively, dribbling the ball off his foot and playing lackadaisical half the time. 

There’s no question that Justin could be a very good player his final two years. We’ve seen the flashes.  He can be a versatile move forward.  I think we’d all love to see it.  Quick cuts, score on the move, defend, get some boards Etc  

So far his game has been full of contradictions but I’d expect a turnaround with confidence and experience which are related in his case IMO.

Public griping is for losers.  The world is full of losers.  Winning is the harder part of life and the more rare trait.  Archie has stuck with Justin to a fault so I’m not sure what the constant griping accomplishes.  He’s essentially had a free pass.

It has nothing to do with what any fans want, but I’d be surprised if he comes back next year particularly if we land another desired recruit.  He could go to Georgia or Bradley or Illinois State and be featured the way the old man wants.  This is not anything I am wishing for or anything any fan is saying.  This is about him and the family and what the writing on the wall is.  He will likely perform pretty well too even though IU lived through the investment in him.   So be it. The world won’t spin off its axis.  

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If Archie already hasn't had the 'Talk' with Justin, it needs to happen very soon.  Justin could very well be the nicest kid in the world, but if I'm coach, and dad is spewing this stuff on social media, the kid is off the team.  

GET RID OF THE KID!!! His dad is not worth any potential he has. Cripes!

6 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Link?

Dad might be mad because from where I sit, Justin is getting recruited over right now.

If you're worried about being "recruited over" as a junior, then he's got even bigger issues than we thought. Parents are worse than ever these days, so stuff like this is not surprising. At this point Justin's dad should worry more about his kid's jump shot and less about the coach's supposed deficiencies (which might include sticking with ineffective starters ;) Bingo)!. At the same time, you don't kick a kid off the team because his dad's an ass on social media. It doesn't seem like he replied to this:

11 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

If you're worried about being "recruited over" as a junior, then there's other issues at hand. Parents are worse than ever these days, so stuff like this is not surprising. At this point Justin's dad should worry more about his kid's jump shot and less about the coach's supposed deficiencies (which might include sticking with ineffective starters ;) Bingo)!. At the same time, you don't kick a kid off the team because his dad's an ass on social media. 

I know you can’t but dang it I’m SO sick of this dad. 🤬

I'm not advocating for a transfer at all but personally I think it would be in the best interest for both parties if he transferred. 

Statistically speaking he's just not very good...1330 minutes is a lot of time spent collecting that data. He doesn't rebound well, block shots or force turnovers, he can't shoot FT's or 3's, he commits more fouls than he draws, doesn't create anything and turns it over often, he's weak with the ball around the rim, seems pretty aloof with the rotations and help D, and he's just an 'ok' finisher.

I think he'd be a serviceable backup if he makes a small jump like he should but as a starter he's a liability unless a massive jump in development occurs.

I hate to be so rude here because I'm rooting for the guy big time, but it's objectively true that he's poor :(

1 minute ago, JWoolsey said:

I'm not advocating for a transfer at all but personally I think it would be in the best interest for both parties if he transferred. 

Statistically speaking he's just not very good...1330 minutes is a lot of time spent collecting that data. He doesn't rebound well, block shots or force turnovers, he can't shoot FT's or 3's, he commits more fouls than he draws, doesn't create anything and turns it over often, he's weak with the ball around the rim, seems pretty aloof with the rotations and help D, and he's just an 'ok' finisher.

I think he'd be a serviceable backup if he makes a small jump like he should but as a starter he's a liability unless a massive jump in development occurs.

I hate to be so rude here because I'm rooting for the guy big time, but it's objectively true that he's poor :(

Junior year is when most players make or break. You can't run off every player who's not great by their sophomore year, you'll never have a team. He's got the tools. Will he every be All Big Ten? Probably not. 

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Junior year is when most players make or break. You can't run off every player who's not great by their sophomore year, you'll never have a team. He's got the tools. Will he every be All Big Ten? Probably not. 

I wonder what people were saying about Uwe Blab after his sophomore year.

10 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I'm not trying to run him off at all. I'm just calling it like I see it. I think he's one of many on the team that vastly under performed and that are primed for moderate to possibly massive jumps. 

I agree this is the make or break season but having all of the tools is very questionable from what the eye test tells me. That's subjective, so of course I'll keep an open mind with him but personal expectations are pretty low for me.

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

wonder what people were saying about Uwe Blab after his sophomore year.

After Ewe got married, he and his wife had a kid.  Knight visited when it was still an infant. 

"Whatever you do," Knight told the wife, "don't let Ewe hold this baby in those hands of his.  I guarantee he'll drop it."      😀 👶 😀

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

After Ewe got married, he and his wife had a kid.  Knight visited when it was still an infant. 

"Whatever you do," Knight told the wife, "don't let Ewe hold this baby in those hands of his.  I guarantee he'll drop it."      😀 👶 😀

I think some of our younger members, may think what you said about Knight talking about Ewe's hands is made up.  Our older members will know that is a true statement.

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I wonder what people were saying about Uwe Blab after his sophomore year.

For me it is not even about his play.  Do you think Knight keeps Uwe around for his junior year if Uwe's Dad was publically trashing his coaching ability in a very open forum?  I think Knight would drag Dad's butt into his office and let him know that his son has an opportunity here, but Dad is about to ruin it.  

Point blank, it stinks to punish the son for what dear old dad is doing, but this is a new regime that has faced some bumps, you don't need one of the parents of a kid who was given every opportunity to succeed here to be one of your biggest negative recruiters and after the turmoil this team allegedly faced in the locker this past year, you do not want to bring that negativity forward.  

No offense to Smith, but his play has not been worth his Dad's antics online.

If Justin is doing nothing to shut his dad up (and, he apparently is not), then this is a much deeper issue than an idiot dad with a twitter account.  By not giving his dad a cease and desist, then it tells me Justin has not bought into what Archie has t offer.  And, if Justin is unwilling to do that, then the coach has every right to have the 'talk', same as he would if the kid was doing anything else to disrupt team chemistry or violate team rules.

I didn't see the tweets until just now. Sorry. Kid and Dad can hit the road. Don't need any distractions as we head into the most valuable developmental time of any players career. The summer. This is the time the laser focus on improvement has to be there every single day. Yes...want the kids to be kids and have fun but when you step in the gym/weight room/film room each day for those 5-6 hours it has to be without distraction. 

I could live with Dennis Rodman distractions because when the lights went on he performed. Justin's play on the court hasn't warranted distractions. 

Edit-Update on my post. I don't like giving up on kids. Just really torn on this one. Certainly never want to give up on a kid but if Dad is saying those things in public imagine the conversations behind the scenes. Justin's probably like I can't win. 

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I do think it’s funny that people think it’s easy to get your parents to stop saying silly stuff on social media.  

It’s not? We didn’t have social media back then, but when I was in college my dad started yelling at my coach as we walked off the court after a loss. I of course took it on the chin from my coach once we got in the locker room. While I agreed with what my dad was saying, I came out postgame and told him he had to knock it off. 

It never happened again because my dad knew it put me in a bad spot with both coaches and teammates. Assuming they’re involved in your life and care about you, It shouldn’t be that hard to get your parents to not put you in terrible positions. 

Archived