IU to play in Jimmy V classic

Glad to be on MSG stage on one of the biggest nights (Jimmy V)....hopefully it's not scheduled shortly after our opening weekend of Big 10 play. Don't want to have a Sunday game followed by travel Monday and play Tuesday. One interesting thought. Lester is a NYC kid. Maybe knowing he could play in front of the home crowd would be appealing?

12 hours ago, Indykev said:

Looks to be Louisville.

Boring.

Is it just me or are some of you kind of getting tired of being locked into these games?  The Big/ACC challenge is meh, somewhat based on the fact that we have not been good and we always get paired with either Duke or UNC.  I guess the fact that we have not been near their level for the majority of the past 20 or so years makes that just boring to me.  It is almost always a loss that does nothing to really move the program forward.  I find the Gavitt Games to be meh because the Big East teams do not really move the dial for me.  I am bored with the Crossroads Classic and feel like it is a stupid agreement for IU to share money with the other 3 teams given our fanbase generally carries the ticket sales for that game.  Butler has been regressing to their mean IMO and Notre Dame has always been kind of meh to me.

I don't know, maybe I am just pessimistic about the program in general right now so it makes it hard to be excited about any of this.  Just one short year and I have done a complete 180 in my view of the program.  I think most signs are pointing to us being a pretty mediocre to bad team again next year so I see a loss in New York, getting beat on our home court by the triumphant return of Kyle Guy to Indiana or curb stomped again by Duke or UNC.  Probably beat Notre Dame in a close game that is just kind of...enh...and we'll probably get to go to Marquette where they take revenge on us for our win this year and win by 10+.

Yeah, I know I am a ray of sunshine but that is where I am at right now.  Last season was a bust.  Langford was a bust IMO and I would need convincing right now that, in hindsight, landing him was not a detriment to the program.  We put too many eggs in the Brooks basket and got caught scrambling around (no pun intended) looking for another guy when that fell through (very Tom Crean-esque) and now the feeling is that recruiting is slowing.  Our hope for next year is that chemistry suddenly improves (which would lead me again to the theory that Langford was the issue this year) and guys suddenly change up what they have shown themselves to be over their 1-3 years in the program.

I think it is rational to believe right now that this team is going to struggle again this year.  Given that, all I see in these marquee games is losses in a year when we desperately need to pack wins in the preconference so we can get back to the tournament.  I think Archie gets 4 years but if we miss the tournament this year and make it 4 years in a row, he is basically done.  Even with an uptick in wins in year 4, he will take a recruiting hit for a few years which will mirror Tom Crean...we'll fall off again and he will have used up all of his good will.  I hope that "hope" actually works in this program for once because right now I am seeing 6 more years of mediocrity and then starting over again.

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Boring.

Is it just me or are some of you kind of getting tired of being locked into these games?  The Big/ACC challenge is meh, somewhat based on the fact that we have not been good and we always get paired with either Duke or UNC.  I guess the fact that we have not been near their level for the majority of the past 20 or so years makes that just boring to me.  It is almost always a loss that does nothing to really move the program forward.  I find the Gavitt Games to be meh because the Big East teams do not really move the dial for me.  I am bored with the Crossroads Classic and feel like it is a stupid agreement for IU to share money with the other 3 teams given our fanbase generally carries the ticket sales for that game.  Butler has been regressing to their mean IMO and Notre Dame has always been kind of meh to me.

I don't know, maybe I am just pessimistic about the program in general right now so it makes it hard to be excited about any of this.  Just one short year and I have done a complete 180 in my view of the program.  I think most signs are pointing to us being a pretty mediocre to bad team again next year so I see a loss in New York, getting beat on our home court by the triumphant return of Kyle Guy to Indiana or curb stomped again by Duke or UNC.  Probably beat Notre Dame in a close game that is just kind of...enh...and we'll probably get to go to Marquette where they take revenge on us for our win this year and win by 10+.

Yeah, I know I am a ray of sunshine but that is where I am at right now.  Last season was a bust.  Langford was a bust IMO and I would need convincing right now that, in hindsight, landing him was not a detriment to the program.  We put too many eggs in the Brooks basket and got caught scrambling around (no pun intended) looking for another guy when that fell through (very Tom Crean-esque) and now the feeling is that recruiting is slowing.  Our hope for next year is that chemistry suddenly improves (which would lead me again to the theory that Langford was the issue this year) and guys suddenly change up what they have shown themselves to be over their 1-3 years in the program.

I think it is rational to believe right now that this team is going to struggle again this year.  Given that, all I see in these marquee games is losses in a year when we desperately need to pack wins in the preconference so we can get back to the tournament.  I think Archie gets 4 years but if we miss the tournament this year and make it 4 years in a row, he is basically done.  Even with an uptick in wins in year 4, he will take a recruiting hit for a few years which will mirror Tom Crean...we'll fall off again and he will have used up all of his good will.  I hope that "hope" actually works in this program for once because right now I am seeing 6 more years of mediocrity and then starting over again.

Image result for eeyoreWow! you must be a joy to be around. 
Don't you remember just a couple of years ago we beat UNC in the challenge and that same year we beat Kansas in Hawaii.

26 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Boring.

Yeah...you're pessimistic alright.  No doubt about it, I'd say.   😁

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Image result for eeyoreWow! you must be a joy to be around. 
Don't you remember just a couple of years ago we beat UNC in the challenge and that same year we beat Kansas in Hawaii.

Sure did.  And that year ended with our coach getting fired. 

I want to be more optimistic but I am seeing alot right now that leads the other way.

Also, I am fine to be around.  You have a habit of turning this one little piece of entertainment into a caricature of what people are like in life.  Personally, based on your approach to some people on here, I would have a pretty negative opinion of you if I thought this forum was a true representation of you in real life.  In other words, don't go personal all the time.  You do it alot.

54 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Sure did.  And that year ended with our coach getting fired. 

I want to be more optimistic but I am seeing alot right now that leads the other way.

Also, I am fine to be around.  You have a habit of turning this one little piece of entertainment into a caricature of what people are like in life.  Personally, based on your approach to some people on here, I would have a pretty negative opinion of you if I thought this forum was a true representation of you in real life.  In other words, don't go personal all the time.  You do it alot.

Just add him to your ignore list, then the only time you have to see his responses are when someone quotes him.  I hope they fix that in the suggestions section.  When i ignore someone, i don't want to see anything from them, makes for a more enjoyable forum :D 

31 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just add him to your ignore list, then the only time you have to see his responses are when someone quotes him.  I hope they fix that in the suggestions section.  When i ignore someone, i don't want to see anything from them, makes for a more enjoyable forum :D 

I think you CAN shut off when they're quoted. You just don't see the post quoting them either.  Not sure when that changed but pretty sure it did. I usually don't go that far as you miss good response posts as a result.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think you CAN shut off when they're quoted. You just don't see the post quoting them either.  Not sure when that changed but pretty sure it did. I usually don't go that far as you miss good response posts as a result.

Nope.  Just did a test.

2019-05-08_11-40-22.png

(BTW, I unignored you, IowaHoosierFan.  Test of convenience, nothing against you.)

And from a programming standpoint, what you're asking for is either:

A) Possible, but going to be much more taxing on servers/databases, to the point it may adversely affect site performance. -Or-
B) Impossible.

The problem is that when you (as a user) make a post, it's one record within a database.  It's traceable back to you as a user, which allows other users to potentially ignore you.  For lack of a better term, a post is a trackable entity.  Quoting a different post is not such an entity.  It's treated the same as any other text within your post.  Once a quote is made, it's not trackable back to the original author, just the user that quoted it. 

To make quotes "ignore-able", you'd have to make them their own record somewhere in a related table within the database, which is going to exponentially increase the overall database size.  If someone quotes 3 different posts, they've now created 4 records vs 1.  More records mean it takes incrementally longer to perform the ignore function, and the dominoes fall from there.

12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Nope.  Just did a test.

2019-05-08_11-40-22.png

(BTW, I unignored you, IowaHoosierFan.  Test of convenience, nothing against you.)

And from a programming standpoint, what you're asking for is either:

A) Possible, but going to be much more taxing on servers/databases, to the point it may adversely affect site performance. -Or-
B) Impossible.

The problem is that when you (as a user) make a post, it's one record within a database.  It's traceable back to you as a user, which allows other users to potentially ignore you.  For lack of a better term, a post is a trackable entity.  Quoting a different post is not such an entity.  It's treated the same as any other text within your post.  Once a quote is made, it's not trackable back to the original author, just the user that quoted it. 

To make quotes "ignore-able", you'd have to make them their own record somewhere in a related table within the database, which is going to exponentially increase the overall database size.  If someone quotes 3 different posts, they've now created 4 records vs 1.  More records mean it takes incrementally longer to perform the ignore function, and the dominoes fall from there.

I figured checking "mentions" would get quoted posts but I don't think I ever tried it to be honest...

20190508_235001.thumb.jpg.6206ebc6d255b90d8ad00bd3be699577.jpg

Archived