Weather events

Reacher

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just want the heat to end. About ready to apply for a job as a janitor in Antarctica.

Not looking like that will happen until early next week. Rain chances are spotty as well. I'm old enough to remember when a heatwave like this would almost always be broken by powerful thunderstorms. Doesn't seem to happen too often anymore. 

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Not looking like that will happen until early next week. Rain chances are spotty as well. I'm old enough to remember when a heatwave like this would almost always be broken by powerful thunderstorms. Doesn't seem to happen too often anymore. 

I'm with you on the storms. I love thunderstorms. Been years since I remember having a day of rolling thunderstorms. Really miss it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hitting landfall on anniversary of Katrina as a stronger storm. Hopefully more evacuated this go around.

I hope so too...and I hope the levees hold up...

I don't think my area will get anything except possible bands of rain...praying for people in the path...

• Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 8:41 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I'm with you on the storms. I love thunderstorms. Been years since I remember having a day of rolling thunderstorms. Really miss it. 

The best kinds of storms are the ones in early spring, when it's still a bit chilly out but you just want to be outside listening to the sound of thunder after a long, hard winter. We totally missed out on that this past spring. April and May were devoid of thunderstorms. 

I'm old enough to remember when storms could actually break a heatwave. We had some nice little garden-variety storms roll through last night and it's still humid as sh*t today. 

Edited by TheWatShot
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 6:28 PM, TheWatShot said:

If you guys hate the heat enjoy the cool summer we are having, it's only going to keep getting hotter in the years moving forward! 

...until it doesn't.  In the '70's, experts were predicting another ice age. 

Nothing funnier than seeing a "climatologist" talk about the polar ice caps shrinking and then flip and argue that when polar ice caps grow, that's also proof of global warming, so now we just call it "climate change".

I got news for you, peeps...the climate has been changing since the dawn of time.  I've lived through a lot of incorrect forecasts so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little skeptical that the "scientists" have got it right this time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Nothing funnier than seeing a "climatologist" talk about the polar ice caps shrinking and then flip and argue that when polar ice caps grow, that's also proof of global warming, so now we just call it "climate change".

I got news for you, peeps...the climate has been changing since the dawn of time.  I've lived through a lot of incorrect forecasts so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little skeptical that the "scientists" have got it right this time.

"Wake up, Uh-merica!"....."Pitts off."   😋

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I agree...science might indicate our world is warming up but they told me years ago that Pluto was a planet, too...and if you think meteorologist are right all the time, watch your weather report tonight and gauge how accurate that is...

So I agree with this statement by @FKIM01...

"the climate has been changing since the dawn of time"

I think the two things in this argument that bother me most are, we have congresspeople that in my estimation who cannot grasp even the most cursory scientific concept, telling me that if we don't ditch our current energy production ideas, which would cripple our current economy, and spend trillions of dollars on new "green" technology, much of it that couldn't come close to shouldering the load we currently require, and would cripple the economy even more, telling us that if we don't do all these things right now our world will melt like a Snickers in a hot car in 12 years...even sadder is the fact that some people listen to them.

The other concern is that we get roped into climate agreements that make the US comply much earlier with these accords than other First World countries, putting us at a financial and possibly a military disadvantage. Show me an accord where all First World countries start at the same time with the same requirements and I'd have no problem with it.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...science might indicate our world is warming up but they told me years ago that Pluto was a planet, too...and if you think meteorologist are right all the time, watch your weather report tonight and gauge how accurate that is...

This is silly. Weather forecasters are right a lot more than they're wrong. People just selectively remember the times they were wrong. 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This is silly. Weather forecasters are right a lot more than they're wrong. People just selectively remember the times they were wrong. 

Not "silly" at all...they do get "tomorrow" right about 80% of the time, but extended forecast are less reliable...and 10 years from now is impossible.

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

This is a no win conversation.  You believe what you believe.  Going deeper only leads to politics.  Everyone has their opinion.  That's great.  As for me...Pluto is a dog.   😊

It's really not about politics or opinions at all...it's about using undeniable facts to substantiate a position rather than basing the transition (and there will be a transition eventually...not all the way in my opinion, but there will come a time where renewables account for a majority of our needs) on supposition or scare language...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It's really not about politics or opinions at all...it's about using undeniable facts to substantiate a position rather than basing the transition (and there will be a transition eventually...not all the way in my opinion, but there will come a time where renewables account for a majority of our needs) on supposition or scare language...

It used to be simple. Science had a scientific method we all learned. Now science is used and manipulated to provide a rationale for ones beliefs. Scientists are recruited to sign on to paper that can be used as evidence and dissenting voices are squashed. What good is science when a scientist cannot propose a hypothesis? I know some people have their head stuck in the sand and believe this couldn't happen, or isn't happening. But it is. As "science" changed, that meant weather was sure to follow. Much easier to blame the weather for a forest fire than admit to forest mismanagement.

• Like 2