We need a state of recruiting thread.

Long Duk Dong

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

My fellow Americans....what...oh, state of RECRUITING. Never mind.

Four score and seven years ago, the fathers of IU football brought forth on this continent a new team, conceived of losing, and dedicated to the proposition that all teams are created equal.

Now we are in a great football war, testing whether that fanbase, or any fanbase so conceived and so dedicated can endure.  We are met on a great football field of that war.  We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those coaches who here gave their jobs that that team might live.  It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this field.  The brave men, playing and retired, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.  The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.  It is for us the watching, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who played here have thus far so nobly advanced.  It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored players we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolved that these players shall not have played in vain -- that this team, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that team of the fans, by the fans, for the fans, shall not perish from the NCAA.

On a more on topic note, I'm all for a state of recruiting thread, but we don't really have anybody here that I know of that is tuned into IU recruiting.  It seems like a couple of us get some updates off Twitter and post them in the individual's page, but I'm not sure if there's really anything more that people know here than that.  I'd love for more people to jump in and post updates if they have any.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Four score and seven years ago, the fathers of IU football brought forth on this continent a new team, conceived of losing, and dedicated to the proposition that all teams are created equal.

Now we are in a great football war, testing whether that fanbase, or any fanbase so conceived and so dedicated can endure.  We are met on a great football field of that war.  We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those coaches who here gave their jobs that that team might live.  It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this field.  The brave men, playing and retired, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.  The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.  It is for us the watching, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who played here have thus far so nobly advanced.  It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored players we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolved that these players shall not have played in vain -- that this team, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that team of the fans, by the fans, for the fans, shall not perish from the NCAA.

Quality work. Cheers!

IU football commits include the following 

DT QB: Dexter Williams 3*

WR: Rashawn Williams 4* and David Baker 3*

ATH: Javon Swinton 3*

TE: Jalen Williams 3* and Sam Daugstrup 3* (Walk-On)

OL: Luke Wiginton 3*, Brady Feeney 3*, Coleon Smith 3*, and Cameron Knight 3*

DT: JeJuan Sparks 3*

DE: Caleb Murphy 3*

LB: Ty Wise 3* 

CB: Lemuel Neely-Watley 3* and Christopher Keys 3*

14 Scholarship Commits and 1 Walk-On. 

There are some guys still being recruited and some that the staff is still trying to get to flip their commitment before or on signing day. 

Thanks, DC.  It’s an interesting class.  Rashawn Williams can be an impact receiver.  He looks very competitive. Put him with Ellis and some of our other young guys and we can have a really nice receiving corps. 

Jalen Williams has the potential to turn into a beast.  He’s 6’7 200 so he will need to camp out in the weight room and get with the nutrition gurus. But if it comes together he can become a weapon at TE.  

Brady Feeney looks like he can be nasty at guard.  I think he may emerge.  I like his makeup. 

Neely-Watley looks really good and like another corner with high potential.  

The average ranking so far may not look as high as the past couple of classes but there are some good meat andpotatoes guys we can add to the roster.  And who knows how the last half a dozen spots turn out - there’s still time.   

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

source.gif

The staff is also still targeting WR Alante Brown, OL JAme Pogerelc, OL Randy Holtz, and DE Geri Theodore that I know of. 

The staff is also trying to get Martel Lewis and Deontae Craig to flip. 

Charlie Spegal also has a Walk-On offer he is considering. 

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The staff is also still targeting WR Alante Brown, OL JAme Pogerelc, OL Randy Holtz, and DE Geri Theodore that I know of. 

I hope we try and flip every single kid possible. I do NOT care about recruiting ethically or morally. I want to recruit LEGALLY, but I DO NOT care if we step on toes.

As my grandmother would always say when we would win a football game 49-0 in HS... you don't think they'd do it to you if they could? 

40 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’ve heard stuff about Holtz being down to Purdue and IU but I don’t know if that’s accurate. I don’t believe Purdue is actively recruiting him. Not sure if IU is serious about him?

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I hope we try and flip every single kid possible. I do NOT care about recruiting ethically or morally. I want to recruit LEGALLY, but I DO NOT care if we step on toes.

As my grandmother would always say when we would win a football game 49-0 in HS... you don't think they'd do it to you if they could? 

Who are the most likely flip candidates in your opinion?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Especially true for football.  In basketball teams are a little more quiet about it, but if a team isn't doing it in football, they aren't doing their job.

I know it's a saying from an old hoops coach but it plays in football too. When a kid commits at least you actually know who the competition is. Just want us to keep building on the momentum our staff has going. I think btown or someone else mentioned in game or other threads....we're playing tons of Fresh/Soph guys eligibility wise. If I could get greedy...I'd like our staff to target a few absolute game changers with the idea that our team is going to get older and better but we need this key spot filled or this one,etc.....hopefully that make sense. 

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks, DC.  It’s an interesting class.  Rashawn Williams can be an impact receiver.  He looks very competitive. Put him with Ellis and some of our other young guys and we can have a really nice receiving corps. 

Jalen Williams has the potential to turn into a beast.  He’s 6’7 200 so he will need to camp out in the weight room and get with the nutrition gurus. But if it comes together he can become a weapon at TE.  

Brady Feeney looks like he can be nasty at guard.  I think he may emerge.  I like his makeup. 

Neely-Watley looks really good and like another corner with high potential.  

The average ranking so far may not look as high as the past couple of classes but there are some good meat andpotatoes guys we can add to the roster.  And who knows how the last half a dozen spots turn out - there’s still time.   

One thing I really like about our class is that each of our guys have potential.  I'm sure some guys in this class will end up as busts, but I think a handful of them will play above their rankings.

Our OL recruits mostly have pretty good size and/or athleticism.

Jalen Williams is a huge target at TE.

I thought all of our DB and WR guys looked like solid athletes.  They at least have potential to become good.

I don't think this class really has any guys who are solid, but don't have the athleticism to improve a lot.  A guy like Tom Allen Jr. would be a good example of that.  I'm sure he works his butt off, but he could spend 24 hours a day working out, and he just isn't going to have the athleticism of Cam Jones.  I think this class will be one we will look back on and talk about how a handful of guys were better players than their rankings expected them to be.

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Could you clarify this?  

Guys like a Thomas Allen.  Smart player, but he will never be a game changer because he isn't athletic enough.

This class has a lot of guys who have a pretty high potential.  A lot of them need some polishing, but at least there could be something great once polished.

38 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Guys like a Thomas Allen.  Smart player, but he will never be a game changer because he isn't athletic enough.

This class has a lot of guys who have a pretty high potential.  A lot of them need some polishing, but at least there could be something great once polished.

I'm just confused by the wording.  Maybe my reading comprehension sucks.  It reads to me that there are no solid guys and won't improve because lack of athleticism.   

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm just confused by the wording.  Maybe my reading comprehension sucks.  It reads to me that there are no solid guys and won't improve because lack of athleticism.   

Sorry.  I'm mostly talking about the lower rated guys we've gotten. There are some solid guys in the overall class, but our lower ranked guys aren't just stiffs.  Some years we get lower ranked guys that don't really look to have much potential.  Pretty much all of our lower rated guys have potential to be really good players.  Strong, good speed, good height, strong arm.  Something that gives them potential to turn into really good players.  There are some guys in there too who will be early contributors, but I think this is a class that will look better in 3-4 years than it does now.

12 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Sorry.  I'm mostly talking about the lower rated guys we've gotten. There are some solid guys in the overall class, but our lower ranked guys aren't just stiffs.  Some years we get lower ranked guys that don't really look to have much potential.  Pretty much all of our lower rated guys have potential to be really good players.  Strong, good speed, good height, strong arm.  Something that gives them potential to turn into really good players.  There are some guys in there too who will be early contributors, but I think this is a class that will look better in 3-4 years than it does now.

Ok.  Maybe you meant  "but do have the athleticism to improve a lot."  

Archived