Kalen DeBoer to Fresno St.

KDB

• KDB changed the title to Kalen DeBoer Leaving?
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

My original hope was that we'd be able to keep him for 2 years, but becoming a head coach at a school he just coached at would be real hard to turn down.

For sure.  Couldn't blame him for jumping on that opportunity.

42 minutes ago, rico said:

For sure.  Couldn't blame him for jumping on that opportunity.

If he does want to keep climbing the ladder, it is a perfect opportunity for him.  Gives him a chance to be a head coach at a smaller school, but one that still has an opportunity to showcase a good coach.  The Mountain West might be the best non power 5 conference.  If he goes there, he's one step away from landing a big time head coaching job.  If he goes and has a lot of success, the mid to upper power 5 teams could start calling.  If he went somewhere like a Ball State, he'd probably have to go lower level power 5 next before a big program would take a chance on him.

He seems like a really good guy, so hopefully it all works out for him.  The more good coaches IU gets, the bigger Allen's coaching tree gets.  If he leaves and we hire somebody good after him, IU could start being a place that up and coming assistants want to go as a stepping stone.  For where we've been in the past, I would gladly take that title.

8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Selfishly I hate to hear this, but good for him if it happens.  The more success we have in football, the more we will deal with this kind of thing.  It's a good problem to have.  

Fortunately/unfortunately, this is the case.  Players want to play for a coach that will get them to the next level.  Assistant coaches want to work for a head coach that can do the same. 

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

More than what he can make at Fresno

You at least have to offer it if you are serious about IU football. If I’m Allen I’d give him some of my money cuz as long as he is at IU we are going to have one the best offenses in the BIG which then in return keeps Allen at IU for a long long time 

So it looks like Tedford´s annual salary at Fresno was about 1.5 million. I don´t know if that is what their new hire will get or not but I don´t think IU will be paying that to an assistant and even if they would I doubt it would keep DeBoer from taking a head coaching job of his own.

5 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

He wants to be a head coach.  I don't know that any amount of OC money is going to do the trick.  He has already been a wildly successful head coach and has openly stated that he wants to end up with a head coaching position.

Not a widely known fact, surprisingly.  DeBoer was head coach at his alma mater, NAIA Sioux Falls.  He lost 3 games in 5 years.  Two of those were an NAIA semifinal and championship game.  3 national titles, 1 runner up, 4 conference titles.  That's an outstanding run at whatever level you're at. 

18 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

You at least have to offer it if you are serious about IU football.

This. 

I honestly think DeBoer would take the Fresno job at $1M even if we offered $1.25M.  But, the point is, we made the offer.  That will attract the right kind of eyes to the opening vs just having to scrape someone up. 

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

More than what he can make at Fresno

I hear you but he's at $800k now and TOTAL increase Allen got for assistant coaching raises is $500k.  Tedford was at $1.55M at FSU.  If Kalen desires a bigger job than one he knows sooner we might keep him with a healthy bump to aroung $1M.  He can surely make hay with our offense next year and build even more momentum for larger job.

All that said, FSU is the devil he knows with coaches and players he is familiar with and a HC opportunity NOW.  Might be hard to pass up.

Archived