IU Film Room - Arkansas

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent as always, Coach Tony...never need to apologize for providing.primo free stuff...

In the Arkansas post game thread, there's a debate about whether Archie should have pulled Devonte from the game. Any thoughts on that?

IMO it's not necessarily about whether or not he should have been taken out as much as it is that DG makes those bone head plays without fear of coming out.

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

IMO it's not necessarily about whether or not he should have been taken out as much as it is that DG makes those bone head plays without fear of coming out.

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent as always, Coach Tony...never need to apologize for providing.primo free stuff...

In the Arkansas post game thread, there's a debate about whether Archie should have pulled Devonte from the game. Any thoughts on that?

For me, it wasn't really about whether to pull DG or not. My point was that I don't think Archie had any other options at that point.

19 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

For me, it wasn't really about whether to pull DG or not. My point was that I don't think Archie had any other options at that point.

I agree with that as well. 

I was coaching a game and we were up about 30 or so and the best player on the other team had a 2 on 1 fast break and made a very unnecessary behind the back pass that led to a layup, then proceeded to celebrate like he won the state championship. 

On Monday watching tape with the team after that play came up I asked my guys how many of you are capable of making that pass? Almost everyone raised their hand, even those that clearly couldn't make that pass. Then I ask how many of you would make that pass in a game? No hands went up. My Senior captain said , coach if I made that pass successfully you would have taken me out and ripped me. If I made that pass unsuccessfully I would still be running.  That coming from a young man that called me for advice 1 hour before proposing to his future wife, who also invited me to be in waiting room for birth of his son, and who stood next to me at the casket of his father. 

Kids can respect you, love you and still have fear of you.  

As for pulling DG, I think there are multiple factors into him not being benched for an extensive period. 

Al Durham getting ejected + Rob not being fully healthy really put a damper on any kind of backcourt depth. While DG makes some bad decisions, he's also the Hoosiers best (healthy) ballhandler against a defense that was pressuring. I get the conundrum that Archie was in. 

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with that as well. 

I was coaching a game and we were up about 30 or so and the best player on the other team had a 2 on 1 fast break and made a very unnecessary behind the back pass that led to a layup, then proceeded to celebrate like he won the state championship. 

On Monday watching tape with the team after that play came up I asked my guys how many of you are capable of making that pass? Almost everyone raised their hand, even those that clearly couldn't make that pass. Then I ask how many of you would make that pass in a game? No hands went up. My Senior captain said , coach if I made that pass successfully you would have taken me out and ripped me. If I made that pass unsuccessfully I would still be running.  That coming from a young man that called me for advice 1 hour before proposing to his future wife, who also invited me to be in waiting room for birth of his son, and who stood next to me at the casket of his father. 

Kids can respect you, love you and still have fear of you.  

I do understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure fear is even a motivator for kids any more...make them fear you now, and you'll be hearing from the parent's lawyer...

At this point, I think Archie has 3 options with Devonte...

Keep him in the rotation and hope you get more good Devonte than bad.

Bury him on the bench until he quits or wants to have a "come to Jesus" meeting.

Cut him from the team now.

I'd say the first option is the most likely. I think all along Archie has tried to reason with the Crean recruits. Some it has worked on (Smith, and possibly De'Ron...but he has to stay in a game more than 2 minutes for me to be sure), some (Durham) the jury is still out on, and Devonte, who I think still harbors some jealousy, first Romeo, and now TJD, about who the "go to" guy is, who hasn't bought in at all...

I believe Durham and Green were voted as captains because the team wanted their buy-in, and wanted their leadership...and it just hasn't happened...

I watched the Villanova/Xavier game last night. Didn't see one player on Villanova dribble between the legs or behind the back...all of the passes were chest passes, either bounce or direct, that were easy for the receiver to catch. Simple, fundamental basketball...and it was fun to watch...

I'm still hopeful for this team, but not as much as I was in November...

10 hours ago, coachadragna said:

Hey guys! 

Apologies on the delay on these. Went on vacation with family, had a couple work trips mixed in, plus the holidays, and it equated to me not having time for my IU film rooms. But enough with the excuses, I broke down the final 7 minutes of the Hoosiers collapse last night. Enjoy!

Really good content,  thanks for posting.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I do understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure fear is even a motivator for kids any more...make them fear you now, and you'll be hearing from the parent's lawyer...

At this point, I think Archie has 3 options with Devonte...

Keep him in the rotation and hope you get more good Devonte than bad.

Bury him on the bench until he quits or wants to have a "come to Jesus" meeting.

Cut him from the team now.

I'd say the first option is the most likely. I think all along Archie has tried to reason with the Crean recruits. Some it has worked on (Smith, and possibly De'Ron...but he has to stay in a game more than 2 minutes for me to be sure), some (Durham) the jury is still out on, and Devonte, who I think still harbors some jealousy, first Romeo, and now TJD, about who the "go to" guy is, who hasn't bought in at all...

I believe Durham and Green were voted as captains because the team wanted their buy-in, and wanted their leadership...and it just hasn't happened...

I watched the Villanova/Xavier game last night. Didn't see one player on Villanova dribble between the legs or behind the back...all of the passes were chest passes, either bounce or direct, that were easy for the receiver to catch. Simple, fundamental basketball...and it was fun to watch...

I'm still hopeful for this team, but not as much as I was in November...

We were disagreeing in the other thread, but I am mostly on board with this.  I think all of us are frustrated...some of us probably moreso than others.  One thing I think about Green is that if he is not doing what he should and is getting chippy because TJD is taking points he believes are rightfully his, then I am on board with burying his butt at the end of the bench until he figures it out.  If we lose games for it, so be it.  All it takes is Miller to say that some guys are not buying into the team concept so he is going to play guys who will.  That let's everyone, including the player, know what is going down.  Yeah, I would hate losing but it at least establishes who is boss.  Does anyone think Calipari would put up with that nonsense from the way more talented kids he has on his roster?  I don't.  Sit Green if he is not on board and prepare Franklin for next year.  If you have to play a walk on some minutes until Hreen figures it out, so be it.

And frankly, this is what should have occurred from Day 1.

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We were disagreeing in the other thread, but I am mostly on board with this.  I think all of us are frustrated...some of us probably moreso than others.  One thing I think about Green is that if he is not doing what he should and is getting chippy because TJD is taking points he believes are rightfully his, then I am on board with burying his butt at the end of the bench until he figures it out.  If we lose games for it, so be it.  All it takes is Miller to say that some guys are not buying into the team concept so he is going to play guys who will.  That let's everyone, including the player, know what is going down.  Yeah, I would hate losing but it at least establishes who is boss.  Does anyone think Calipari would put up with that nonsense from the way more talented kids he has on his roster?  I don't.  Sit Green if he is not on board and prepare Franklin for next year.  If you have to play a walk on some minutes until Hreen figures it out, so be it.

And frankly, this is what should have occurred from Day 1.

I'm as frustrated with DG as most on here, but maybe we should pump the brakes a bit. The play most of us wanted him benched for was a really bad pass, which was a lot of things - lacking awareness, fundamentals, awful angle, etc. - but it seems like it was an effort to get others involved in the game and to share the wealth, rather than chucking up another 3. 

Edit: Just got to finish the video, and I take back this comment. 

5 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm as frustrated with DG as most on here, but maybe we should pump the brakes a bit. The play most of us wanted him benched for was a really bad pass, which was a lot of things - lacking awareness, fundamentals, awful angle, etc. - but it seems like it was an effort to get others involved in the game and to share the wealth, rather than chucking up another 3. 

He does that hot dog stuff in almost every game though.  This is a building 3.5 year issue with Green.  He shot us out of that game.   He was running the wrong plays.  The coach pointed out in his film several things that Green did at the end of that game that really hurt his team.  Maybe he should see the bench during crunch time.  I don't know...

What I do know is this, we are constantly told that we need to be patient...even more patient than we were with Crean, because Miller just can't be judged until the Crean guys are gone.  If I am going to have to sit through a bunch of losing until guys leave, then I prefer to bury them on the bench and at least lose while instilling culture and control over the program.  What I feel right now is that we are stuck in groundhog day.  We have been harping about the same problems since day 1.  People were worried about the APR early on, well now we have 2 unused scholarships, so if the NCAA yanked one for a year, who cares?

My real issue is that the coaching staff appears to be half way committed to doing anything.  If you have a way you want to play, you make guys do it or you suggest they move on.

But...but..but blame Archie!! It’s all his fault. We want another coach! Lol typical IU fans.SMH. Same ole nonsense I’m so sick of.. Archie can coach and will get this thing going as long as IU fans can stay out the way! 

as you can see Green was pretty selfish and should take a ton of the blame. Also blame Al for being ridiculous and getting himself removed from the game therefore we had no other option when DG was trying to play hero ball. Had some bad miscues on D as well. Got talk on D and communicate. 

11 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

But...but..but blame Archie!! It’s all his fault. We want another coach! Lol typical IU fans.SMH. Same ole nonsense I’m so sick of.. Archie can coach and will get this thing going as long as IU fans can stay out the way! 

as you can see Green was pretty selfish and should take a ton of the blame. Also blame Al for being ridiculous and getting himself removed from the game therefore we had no other option when DG was trying to play hero ball. Had some bad miscues on D as well. Got talk on D and communicate. 

Lol heard the same stuff about Crean and Davis 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol heard the same stuff about Crean and Davis 

Couldn’t stand Crean style of play from day one. It was very clear to me he was a good developer but all the turnovers and no defense played had me to the point a couldn’t watch them. Plus terrible substitutions. Couldn’t recruit the state and couldn’t build a sustainable program. I would of fired him 3-4 years earlier.  

For Archie I’d like for him to get someone that can develop our guys shooting better. From what I can see that’s the only thing missing from being top 25 every year... All the coaching aspects Archie is top notch!! So it annoys me when people complain about that. He recruits the heck out the state. The only thing missing is out state success which will come on it’s own when we win.

IF IU fans would just due themselves a favor and not ruin this thing before it really gets started we are in great hands. 

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I, too, dislike the calls to can the coach but it's not exclusive to our fanbase.  The Illinois forum has posts about firing Underwood who was hired at the same time as Miller.  While being tired of seeing people call for an early termination of the coach, I also tire of others suggesting these type of posts are somehow unique to IU.

This pretty much sums up my take as well. I was at the game and thought DG was costing us the game and wanted him pulled.  However, with the ejection of AD and the fact that we remained in the game CAM obviously thought best to leave DG in.

I grew up on IUBB with RMK.  I doubt RMK would have allowed the entire series of bad plays to continue without communicating VERY CLEARLY what he wanted to happen.  Even if it required benching  DG.   My frustration is that CAM seems to accept much more lack of discipline than RMK.  Perhaps he isn't as comfortable with his employment status.  I thing many of us in the fan base would accept losses better if CAM just sat players for discipline purposes while he establishes a new culture and then explained it during his post game press conferences.  As a leader, you get what you tolerate.  So, to me, we are simply getting what CAM tolerates until he gets his rebuilding of the program done.  

I don't see much change from what we are doing now for this year or next.  I don not want to see CAM fired and I do not intend to participate in such discussions for at least 2 more years.  RMK's recommendation is all I need to remain patient for now.  The missing piece for me is the lack of disciplining of players when needed.  

I'm still going to support the team regardless.  GO IU.  Hope we learn from this and continue to improve.

44 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Couldn’t stand Crean style of play from day one. It was very clear to me he was a good developer but all the turnovers and no defense played had me to the point a couldn’t watch them. Plus terrible substitutions. Couldn’t recruit the state and couldn’t build a sustainable program. I would of fired him 3-4 years earlier.  

For Archie I’d like for him to get someone that can develop our guys shooting better. From what I can see that’s the only thing missing from being top 25 every year... All the coaching aspects Archie is top notch!! So it annoys me when people complain about that. He recruits the heck out the state. The only thing missing is out state success which will come on it’s own when we win.

IF IU fans would just due themselves a favor and not ruin this thing before it really gets started we are in great hands. 

Forgot to add the quote to my post above

26 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I think many of us in the fan base would accept losses better if CAM just sat players for discipline purposes while he establishes a new culture and then explained it during his post game press conferences. 

This is exactly right. I think Indiana could go 0-31 and the fanbase would be ignited if CAM simply showed what RMK did. If CAM comes to the press conference and tells us that the players suck, they have no discipline and screw them if they won't play the right way. If CAM came out and said, "This is Indiana and there is a standard & culture that we will adhere to." Everyone here would be going nuts about how amazing the future of Indiana basketball is.

If there is nobody to play at PG if you yank DG, then Miller goes out there and tells the refs, "MY TEAM IS ON THE FLOOR!". 

I simply don't buy the premise that says "kids are different these days". Maybe 90% of kids are different. Find the 11-13 that aren't and make your team that way. If you give RMK 11-13 kids like that then Indiana would be competing for titles, and if it means we go 18-14 every year then so be it. I can live with that. Something tells me that a group of 11-13 kids with that mindset wouldn't be going 18-14. 

Archie needs to realize he's a tough SOB and he has A LOT more leash with the fan base than even he probably thinks. if the man starts being an absolute DOG in the pressers then the fanbase is going to go crazy for him. if that's too much for lil' devonte then cut him immediately and move. He cuts Devonte and tells us in a presser he doesn't hold up the standards of Indiana basketball and what we expect on the court then there isn't a single fan that wouldn't say "don't let the door hit you on the way out." 

I want that Archie Miller. The short term results on the court be damned! 

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I really don’t get what’s that appealing about our style of play since Archie took over... Crean’s was honestly more entertaining and possibly more effective.  As far as the offense goes, there’s really no question that Crean is a better offensive coach in my mind.  We were far better shooting the ball and in transition under Crean.  The halfcourt offense looks to be about the same in terms of effectiveness. (And before you say “wait until Archie gets shooters!” go back and look at his time at Dayton... We will never be more than an average-shooting team from deep.)  On the other hand, Archie’s offense is admittedly better against the zone and out of timeouts, which has been nice.

And yes, Crean’s “run around like a chicken with your head cut off” approach to defense was bad... But was it really that much worse than watching us get torched from three every other game like we have for the past three seasons?  I just don’t get where “Archie is top notch in all the coaching aspects” comes from.  We’ve been atrocious on offense, mediocre on defense, and we lack discipline and toughness.  Sure, Archie may be able to win when he’s finally able to assemble a team with a bunch of talent, but the guy we fired could do the same thing.  I just don’t see where we’ve upgraded, outside of the short-term recruiting boost that comes with a new coach.

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I, too, dislike the calls to can the coach but it's not exclusive to our fanbase.  The Illinois forum has posts about firing Underwood who was hired at the same time as Miller.  While being tired of seeing people call for an early termination of the coach, I also tire of others suggesting these type of posts are somehow unique to IU.

Very interesting on the Illinois thing. I know other programs do thst some but the perception out there from what I’m aware of  is thst IU fans are some of the worst 

2 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

This pretty much sums up my take as well. I was at the game and thought DG was costing us the game and wanted him pulled.  However, with the ejection of AD and the fact that we remained in the game CAM obviously thought best to leave DG in.

I grew up on IUBB with RMK.  I doubt RMK would have allowed the entire series of bad plays to continue without communicating VERY CLEARLY what he wanted to happen.  Even if it required benching  DG.   My frustration is that CAM seems to accept much more lack of discipline than RMK.  Perhaps he isn't as comfortable with his employment status.  I thing many of us in the fan base would accept losses better if CAM just sat players for discipline purposes while he establishes a new culture and then explained it during his post game press conferences.  As a leader, you get what you tolerate.  So, to me, we are simply getting what CAM tolerates until he gets his rebuilding of the program done.  

I don't see much change from what we are doing now for this year or next.  I don not want to see CAM fired and I do not intend to participate in such discussions for at least 2 more years.  RMK's recommendation is all I need to remain patient for now.  The missing piece for me is the lack of disciplining of players when needed.  

I'm still going to support the team regardless.  GO IU.  Hope we learn from this and continue to improve.

I’m pretty sure he would of sat green the last 10 minif he had AL as a replacement but because Al was gone and Rob is not himself he really didn’t have a choice. I’ve witnessed him this year already stick with the guards thst are playing the best down the stretch and that’s been any combination of the 4 we have 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I really don’t get what’s that appealing about our style of play since Archie took over... Crean’s was honestly more entertaining and possibly more effective.  As far as the offense goes, there’s really no question that Crean is a better offensive coach in my mind.  We were far better shooting the ball and in transition under Crean.  The halfcourt offense looks to be about the same in terms of effectiveness. (And before you say “wait until Archie gets shooters!” go back and look at his time at Dayton... We will never be more than an average-shooting team from deep.)  On the other hand, Archie’s offense is admittedly better against the zone and out of timeouts, which has been nice.

And yes, Crean’s “run around like a chicken with your head cut off” approach to defense was bad... But was it really that much worse than watching us get torched from three every other game like we have for the past three seasons?  I just don’t get where “Archie is top notch in all the coaching aspects” comes from.  We’ve been atrocious on offense, mediocre on defense, and we lack discipline and toughness.  Sure, Archie may be able to win when he’s finally able to assemble a team with a bunch of talent, but the guy we fired could do the same thing.  I just don’t see where we’ve upgraded, outside of the short-term recruiting boost that comes with a new coach.

Ohh wow Crean style of play was the most undisciplined ridiculous crap I’ve ever whatched. Ya we won a couple years because we had NBA players. It was so bad the last year I refused to watch them anymore. Do you really wanna go back to Creans 3 man weave then wait till 5 seconds on shot clock and chuck one up haha what a joke that was. I haven’t missed a game yet since Archie been coach. 

We would have 20 turnovers a game and try to win 92-90... that was never going to work in the Tourney. It becomes possession basketball in the half court and we couldn’t stop anyone and never valued the ball. IU had some talented teams but I never thought we had a chance to win big with that style. You can’t win 6 games in a row beating teams that way. 

Under CAM our defense has been much much better. You do realize that this year we still don’t have our best perimeter defender healthy? Rob shut down Joe in the 2nd half the little bit he was able to guard him. You can obviously see I’m the film he was running plays trying to get TJD the ball but DG was being ridiculous. Ohh and The Florida state game wasn’t fun? Beating final four MSU twice last year wasn’t fun? Archie style of valuing the basketball and actually guarding someone is actually good basketball... when you have your players you are expected to hve actually play it helps it look a lot better to!!

Why do people wanna forget we could barely field a team last year and were one win away from the tourney and this year we are in fine position to make it again. We probably win that game if Al doesn’t make a bone headed play cuz he could of sat Green and played him. What about Jerome  with a crazy freak leg condition. There is our missing wing shooter. I still think Anderson is going to start knocking down jumpers. His D has improved a ton!  IMO Archie has had a TON of bad luck to go along with everything else. 

Last thing our upperclassman are well not that good... Davis is done, Brunk is just a solid piece, Al is a solid role player for a good team, Smith can’t shoot it outside 10 feet and continues to struggle finishing, he turns the balm over on weak passes that never have a chance. He is easily my least favorite on the team followed closely ball DG.. speaking of DG ... He is a complete and utter head case. As soon as we get Archie guys as upperclassmen this thing is going to be a whole lot better. 

I’m over it this is my last post for those of you that can’t see CAM is a heck of a coach then whatever. I for one am not about to jump ship I think we are in great hands. If we can get Rob back and stay healthy I think will have a solid conference season and go dancing. CAM just needs a little luck to actually go his way for once in 2.5 years. Happy new year everybody! I hope you read my post and realize that it’s the TRUTH! 

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Ohh wow Crean style of play was the most undisciplined ridiculous crap I’ve ever whatched. Ya we won a couple years because we had NBA players. It was so bad the last year I refused to watch them anymore. Do you really wanna go back to Creans 3 man weave then wait till 5 seconds on shot clock and chuck one up haha what a joke that was. I haven’t missed a game yet since Archie been coach. 

We would have 20 turnovers a game and try to win 92-90... that was never going to work in the Tourney. It becomes possession basketball in the half court and we couldn’t stop anyone and never valued the ball. IU had some talented teams but I never thought we had a chance to win big with that style. You can’t win 6 games in a row beating teams that way. 

Under CAM our defense has been much much better. You do realize that this year we still don’t have our best perimeter defender healthy? Rob shut down Joe in the 2nd half the little bit he was able to guard him. You can obviously see I’m the film he was running plays trying to get TJD the ball but DG was being ridiculous. Ohh and The Florida state game wasn’t fun? Beating final four MSU twice last year wasn’t fun? Archie style of valuing the basketball and actually guarding someone is actually good basketball... when you have your players you are expected to hve actually play it helps it look a lot better to!!

Why do people wanna forget we could barely field a team last year and were one win away from the tourney and this year we are in fine position to make it again. We probably win that game if Al doesn’t make a bone headed play cuz he could of sat Green and played him. What about Jerome  with a crazy freak leg condition. There is our missing wing shooter. I still think Anderson is going to start knocking down jumpers. His D has improved a ton!  IMO Archie has had a TON of bad luck to go along with everything else. 

Last thing our upperclassman are well not that good... Davis is done, Brunk is just a solid piece, Al is a solid role player for a good team, Smith can’t shoot it outside 10 feet and continues to struggle finishing, he turns the balm over on weak passes that never have a chance. He is easily my least favorite on the team followed closely ball DG.. speaking of DG ... He is a complete and utter head case. As soon as we get Archie guys as upperclassmen this thing is going to be a whole lot better. 

I’m over it this is my last post for those of you that can’t see CAM is a heck of a coach then whatever. I for one am not about to jump ship I think we are in great hands. If we can get Rob back and stay healthy I think will have a solid conference season and go dancing. CAM just needs a little luck to actually go his way for once in 2.5 years. Happy new year everybody! I hope you read my post and realize that it’s the TRUTH! 

So you bash Crean for only being able to win when he had NBA players... Then turn around and say Archie is only losing because his players aren’t good enough.  Got it.  And let’s not mention that he had 2 NBA players on the roster last year...

You also repeatedly bash DG, then point to the FSU game as a good example of Archie’s system being able to win.  You do realize DG going off for 30 was literally the only reason that game was “fun,” right?  Archie himself said as much in the post-game presser.

Archived