2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll DVR it, and eventually watch it, but if detect one iota of sympathy for the dopers, I'll shut it off...

I'll have sympathy over a doper before I will anyone involved in the clusterf#@k that this season has turned out to be.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'll have sympathy over a doper before I will anyone involved in the clusterf#@k that this season has turned out to be.

I don't know...bickering over money is one thing...stealing a legacy is quite another to me...

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I wasn't really serious.  But, my frustration over the bickering this summer is pretty high,  

I understand...it is frustrating...I think the most frustrating thing for me are billionaires arguing with millionaires when the regular Joe's who rely on baseball for a livable income get screwed...

For God's sake, work something out...

42 minutes ago, rico said:

Sadly, a helluva lot of them were doing it...

Just saw this stat. McGuire averaged 50.4 HR's for every 162 games played his entire career. Wow is all I got on that one. Obviously other things in play but still. Roided up or no....that's incredible. I think.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just saw this stat. McGuire averaged 50.4 HR's for every 162 games played his entire career. Wow is all I got on that one. Obviously other things in play but still. Roided up or no....that's incredible. I think.

Now look up Brady Anderson's stats...something like 210 career HR's.  Got 50 of them in 1 year.  Played 15 years...

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Now look up Brady Anderson's stats...something like 210 career HR's.  Got 50 of them in 1 year.  Played 15 years...

But is still in the top 10 of every single non HR category in Orioles history......and he earned about $50M I think. Give me the juice too. Haha

Rob Manfred just said that he's not confident baseball is going to happen. This is after him saying a couple weeks ago he was 100% confident? Dude is in over his head and this is just the tip. CBA after 2021 season. Unreal ineptness from his leadership and players seem hell bent on some $ issues too. Just sucks all the way around because this is just the beginning.

On 6/14/2020 at 11:28 AM, Seeking6 said:

You know they'll present the angle that everyone was doing it or MLB knew what was going on so no big deal.....haha.

So I just finished watching "Long Gone Summer."

I agree with Bob Costas...the records from that era are inauthentic.

I've come to grips with the fact that 98 was probably a necessary evil to bring old fans back and grow new fans after the 94 strike. And I think Selig knew it from the beginning.

Both McGwire and Sosa were unapologetic. Hey, if you guys want to wear a phony Rolex, go right ahead. You'll never get a real one. And you'll never be inducted into the HOF.

And, the filmmaker never asked what I think was the most important question they could have...

In the end, what does the Maris family think about McGwire and Sosa stealing their father's legacy? They had Roger Jr on, but never asked.

Sosa was never a favorite Cub of mine. Too much "look at me!" I hated "the hop" and all of the kissing gestures. He hasn't been asked back to Wrigley in a decade, and I hope they never do.

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Rob Manfred just said that he's not confident baseball is going to happen. This is after him saying a couple weeks ago he was 100% confident? Dude is in over his head and this is just the tip. CBA after 2021 season. Unreal ineptness from his leadership and players seem hell bent on some $ issues too. Just sucks all the way around because this is just the beginning.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/06/15/rob-manfred-not-confident-there-will-be-a-2020-mlb-season/

I know nothing is definite but has anyone heard or read what they intend to do with years of service/players contracts? For example Bryant was under Cubs control until end of 2021....so if no baseball this year I assume 2021 would be his last with Cubs or his trade year? Huge implications because obviously the Cubs made moves based on knowing they had Bryant 2 years....now only 1?

Sure he isn't the only one. What a mess and yes I feel bad for the Reds fans on here. First time in a looooooooooooong time they make moves and this happens.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I know nothing is definite but has anyone heard or read what they intend to do with years of service/players contracts? For example Bryant was under Cubs control until end of 2021....so if no baseball this year I assume 2021 would be his last with Cubs or his trade year? Huge implications because obviously the Cubs made moves based on knowing they had Bryant 2 years....now only 1?

Sure he isn't the only one. What a mess and yes I feel bad for the Reds fans on here. First time in a looooooooooooong time they make moves and this happens.

Good question, and I have no idea. I thought this was the year we'd see an injury free Kris Bryant and maybe another MVP run...He was decent last year, but not mega money good...

If we do trade him, I hope we go young arms. Our starting pitching staff is getting a little long in the tooth. Time to get some young guys in there...

Just got finished watching the 1978 Reds vs Cardinals game where tom Seaver threw his only no hitter.  It was great seeing the Reds greats playing and being able to hear Marty and Joe again.  Another thing I did not hear at al was about pitch counts, shifts or launch angles.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just got finished watching the 1978 Reds vs Cardinals game where tom Seaver threw his only no hitter.  It was great seeing the Reds greats playing and being able to hear Marty and Joe again.  Another thing I did not hear at al was about pitch counts, shifts or launch angles.

I have not seen that game...but I listened to the whole thing on WLW.

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Oh come on now Mr. Sunshine, you don't really feel all that sorry for Reds fans and IU Scott do you?

31 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Oh come on now Mr. Sunshine, you don't really feel all that sorry for Reds fans and IU Scott do you?

Actually I do on Reds fans. Besides Wrigley....some of my best growing up memories was at Riverfront with my Grandfather. Doormat franchise for years. They make a move and this happens. Of course I feel bad for them.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

On the pop quiz on 1070 the team that Tom seaver threw his only no hitter was one of the questions yesterday 

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

As a Reds fan I am worried about Costellanos because he has an opt out after one year.  I would guess that if they don't play at all he would not opt out since it took him awhile last off season to get a n offer he liked.

Castellanos will be a big priority for many....including Cubs. Not sure how all of the contractual stuff will work but my assumption is the easiest path is likely. This year won't happen and whatever your contract says for start of 2021 is what you'll be. Besides not trying to destroy their product each day....plenty of owners/GM's have to be scrambling/planning for all the what if scenarios for 2021 and ultimately the CBA after 2021 which could lead to work stoppage.

Not sure if this is a tell or a sign but sure does seem like one to me. Was speaking with a good friend of mine last night who is Cubs season ticket holder. Prime seats down low....anyway Cubs started refunding $ to season ticket holders over the last 24 hours. Not just games that were already supposed to be played but future games as well. So that's either saying no games this year or at the very least no games at Wrigley. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure if this is a tell or a sign but sure does seem like one to me. Was speaking with a good friend of mine last night who is Cubs season ticket holder. Prime seats down low....anyway Cubs started refunding $ to season ticket holders over the last 24 hours. Not just games that were already supposed to be played but future games as well. So that's either saying no games this year or at the very least no games at Wrigley. 

Or....no fans in Wrigley.

Archived