2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Portland and Vegas have been the two western cities mentioned when expansion is discussed.  Portland was easier to work into my divisions.  Vegas would be a natural fit with Arizona and the L.A. teams, but that leaves San Diego as an orphan.

Understood.  I feel Vegas would be a better location.  But I have also seen Mexico mentioned quite a bit.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Understood.  I feel Vegas would be a better location.  But I have also seen Mexico mentioned quite a bit.

Whatever expansion might bring, I think MLB is due for some divisional realignment. The current setup is getting stale.   Going to a geography based alignment just makes perfect sense too me.    I realize that would make the DH universal, which i'm not wild about.  But, all the coast to coast travel is just not worth it.  

For argument sake, let's look at a year where the Reds are playing the AL West.  

They would be playing a minimum of the following # of games in the mountain or Pacific time zones

15 games (3 each) at Padres, Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks, Rockies

6 games (3 each) at 2 of the following 3 (Seattle, Oakland, Angels)

That's 21 games, more than 1/8th of the schedule for games that will not be starting at a fan friendly time for the majority of Reds fans.

Switch those out with guaranteed games against teams in the eastern time zone and help build more natural rivalries. 

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For argument sake, let's look at a year where the Reds are playing the AL West.  

They would be playing a minimum of the following # of games in the mountain or Pacific time zones

15 games (3 each) at Padres, Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks, Rockies

6 games (3 each) at 2 of the following 3 (Seattle, Oakland, Angels)

That's 21 games, more than 1/8th of the schedule for games that will not be starting at a fan friendly time for the majority of Reds fans.

Switch those out with guaranteed games against teams in the eastern time zone and help build more natural rivalries. 

I am completely with you.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I've always thought Charlotte and Nashville would be ideal baseball markets. Hadn't really thought of Portland but makes sense. They support their Blazers well....and Oregon fans are rabid as well. They probably would really support a team. I can't imagine baseball not being in Oakland but that city/state needs to figure it out. Tampa fans have made it very clear they don't really care to have a team either way. Would love some other cities getting a team. Always thought OKC as well.

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me I would rather see some contracting of teams over expanding because to me expanding only diluted talent even more.  Teams like Miami and Tampa and Oakland should all me contracted because those cities don't deserve franchises.

Florida is the third most populous state in the country.  You have to have a team there.  Add in the fact that the Marlins are one of only 6 teams to win multiple World Series titles in the last 25 years, and I think the argument they are not deserving a team is flawed.

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Florida is the third most populous state in the country.  You have to have a team there.  Add in the fact that the Marlins are one of only 6 teams to win multiple World Series titles in the last 25 years, and I think the argument they are not deserving a team is flawed.

Well both teams are lucky to get 10,000 people a game to come watch.  Most people in Florida came from elsewhere and are fans of other teams.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Absolutely.  Its classic.

So many elements of that scene. Kid is dead, Mom doubting he would work hard....all the while a guy from Queens is stewing over a bad trade and tells the owner of the Yankees he knows nothing like he's talking to a hot dog vendor. Part of the reason some New Yorkers I really love. 

Love baseball....but if these guys (owners/players) want to argue about $ during these times before they agree to start season or not??? I mean 30 million people are unemployed, another 100 million are wanting to watch something sports related on tv....and you guys choose this time to has out $?

I'm usually an ownership side guy. My understanding is ownership wants to restrict money paid to players this year based on reduced schedule. If that's accurate.....sorry owners. Pony up the cash, collect from your insurance companies under disaster and move along. Or just recover the $ in future contracts but please don't argue cash right now.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Your opinion.  Should the blown call that cost Armando Gallaraga a perfect game in 2010 be overturned?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ex-tigers-pitcher-armando-galarraga-wants-mlb-to-recognize-2010-perfect-game-overturn-blown-call/

I'm somewhat in agreement, but then wouldn't Cardinal fans have a case for overturning the 1985 World Series?

What's done is done...

Blake Snell on playing at a reduced rate

In later text messages with the Tampa Bay Times, Snell said he knows people will view the comments as him being greedy, but “that’s not the case at all” and his concerns are rooted more in the health and safety issues.

So saying he won't play at a reduced rate, but he would play half a season at the full rate isn't greedy? Really?

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Blake Snell on playing at a reduced rate

In later text messages with the Tampa Bay Times, Snell said he knows people will view the comments as him being greedy, but “that’s not the case at all” and his concerns are rooted more in the health and safety issues.

So saying he won't play at a reduced rate, but he would play half a season at the full rate isn't greedy? Really?

One of the golden rules. Never talk about $ with the public....just don't understand why these guys can't understand the Jeter way works. Offer nothing.

In terms of the agreement unless pandemics were covered in some section of players contracts the owners to me are on the hook for the $.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One of the golden rules. Never talk about $ with the public....just don't understand why these guys can't understand the Jeter way works. Offer nothing.

In terms of the agreement unless pandemics were covered in some section of players contracts the owners to me are on the hook for the $.

Great article with the nuts and bolts of it

"Player, Club or League and subject also to the right of the Commissioner to suspend the operation of this contract during any national emergency during which Major League Baseball is not played.” (emphasis added)

Thus, when President Trump declared a state of emergency on March 13, 2020 in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic, Commissioner Manfred effectively had the right to suspend immediately all player contracts, including any payment obligations of the clubs thereunder, indefinitely for the period of time during which the state of emergency was in effect and games were not being played."

Also...

"With  respect to player salaries, the MLB and MLBPA opted for a pro-rated approach based on the number of games actually played during the 2020 season. Under the agreement, each player is to receive a portion of his scheduled full-season salary based on the number of games actually played against a traditional season of 162 games."

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

With the NL going to DH in 2020 (and probably permanently), it is time to play homage to one of the great moments in MLB history, the likes of which we will likely never see again.

If the NL adopts the DH permanently, I've watched my last MLB game...

Archived