2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Ted Williams saw one pitch and refused to face him again
Before a Spring Training game in 1956, Williams was watching Dalkowski, then with the O's, pitch from behind the batting cage. He decided to try his luck against the 18-year-old and stepped up to the plate. Dalko delivered a fastball and, well, let's just go to the Sports Illustrated article from 1970 for more:
"The catcher held the ball for a few seconds a few inches under Williams' chin. Williams looked back at it, then at Dalkowski, squinting at him from the mound, and then he dropped his bat and stepped out of the cage ... [Williams] told [reporters] he had not seen the pitch, that Steve Dalkowski was the fastest pitcher he ever faced and that he would be damned if he would ever face him again if he could help it."

Ted Williams...let that sink in...

Noticed this in rico's Korean baseball post in the other forum

An ESPN 30 for 30 on the McGwire/Sosa sham.

I'll probably watch it, but if they show McGwire hugging the Maris's after #61, or play Sammy doing that stupid "beizbol been berry, berry good to me" parody, I'll probably have to go out and shop for a new Samsung TV.

And if they try to make the case that it brought baseball "back" from the strike of 94, I'll puke (although I know it did to a point, and I am ashamed to say I was complicit).

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Noticed this in rico's Korean baseball post in the other forum

An ESPN 30 for 30 on the McGwire/Sosa sham.

I'll probably watch it, but if they show McGwire hugging the Maris's after #61, or play Sammy doing that stupid "beizbol been berry, berry good to me" parody, I'll probably have to go out and shop for a new Samsung TV.

And if they try to make the case that it brought baseball "back" from the strike of 94, I'll puke (although I know it did to a point, and I am ashamed to say I was complicit).

All sorts of emotions on this one. Love me some Sammy but I know the other side. Roids aside what those two were doing that summer was pretty awesome. I haven't watched The Last Dance yet so I think this one will probably fall into this category for me....I'll watch it when I watch it but it won't be appointment tv.

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All sorts of emotions on this one. Love me some Sammy but I know the other side. Roids aside what those two were doing that summer was pretty awesome. I haven't watched The Last Dance yet so I think this one will probably fall into this category for me....I'll watch it when I watch it but it won't be appointment tv.

I think the thing that pisses me off most was the McGwire interaction with the Maris's as I stated in the other thread. Now, I'm not gonna say my thoughts aren't blurred by my distain for the Cardinals and McGwire in particular (although I had wished we would have picked him in the 84 draft instead of the forgettable Drew Hall), but robbing a man of his legacy and then going up into the stands to "share" the tainted moment with his family for God's sake, appalled me to the core...

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the thing that pisses me off most was the McGwire interaction with the Maris's as I stated in the other thread. Now, I'm not gonna say my thoughts aren't blurred by my distain for the Cardinals and McGwire in particular (although I had wished we would have picked him in the 84 draft instead of the forgettable Drew Hall), but robbing a man of his legacy and then going up into the stands to "share" the tainted moment with is family for God's sake, appalled me to the core...

All day long. Of course I'm the sure the vitriol from others about Sammy and as you say beisbol been very very gooooooood to me is equal. Haha.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All day long. Of course I'm the sure the vitriol from others about Sammy and as you say beisbol been very very gooooooood to me is equal. Haha.

No doubt...I've never been afraid to say my baby is ugly when it's the truth...

80 game season?  Play only your pwn division and the geographically corresponding division from the other league.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-plan-for-2020-season-to-include-approximately-80-games-and-expanded-postseason-report-says/

I actually like the idea of having baseball be more regional.  Would much rather see the Reds play the Indians, Tigers, White Sox more than see them play the Padres, Marlins, Diamondbacks, etc.

With that in mind, baseball I would not mind if baseball considered the following:

• Add two expansion teams to get to 32.
  • Split into two geographically aligned leagues (East & West)
  • Have each league split into 4 geographically aligned divisions of 4 teams each.
  • No inter-league play
  • 7 teams make playoffs from each league.  Team with best record in each league gets a first round bye.  Other six teams in each league play to determine 4 teams in each league to make the second round.    

Let's say we give the expansion teams to Charlotte and Portland.

East

Division #1 - Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays

Division #2 - Nationals, Orioles, Phillies, Pirates

Division #3 - Marlins, Rays, Braves, Charlotte

Division #4 - Reds, Indians, Tigers, Brewers

West

Division #5 - Twins, Cubs, Cardinals, White Sox

Division #6 - Royals, Rangers, Astros, Rockies

Division #7 - Diamondbacks, Padres, Dodgers, Angels

Division #8 - Giants, A's, Mariners, Portland

In the East, the Brewers would be the only team not in the Eastern time zone.  An argument could be made to swap St. Louis and Milwaukee.  That would be good for the Brewers, but not good for the Cardinals. Other than that one slot, everything works out nicely.  

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

80 game season?  Play only your pwn division and the geographically corresponding division from the other league.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-plan-for-2020-season-to-include-approximately-80-games-and-expanded-postseason-report-says/

I actually like the idea of having baseball be more regional.  Would much rather see the Reds play the Indians, Tigers, White Sox more than see them play the Padres, Marlins, Diamondbacks, etc.

With that in mind, baseball I would not mind if baseball considered the following:

• Add two expansion teams to get to 32.
  • Split into two geographically aligned leagues (East & West)
  • Have each league split into 4 geographically aligned divisions of 4 teams each.
  • No inter-league play
  • 7 teams make playoffs from each league.  Team with best record in each league gets a first round bye.  Other six teams in each league play to determine 4 teams in each league to make the second round.    

Let's say we give the expansion teams to Charlotte and Portland.

East

Division #1 - Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays

Division #2 - Nationals, Orioles, Phillies, Pirates

Division #3 - Marlins, Rays, Braves, Charlotte

Division #4 - Reds, Indians, Tigers, Brewers

West

Division #5 - Twins, Cubs, Cardinals, White Sox

Division #6 - Royals, Rangers, Astros, Rockies

Division #7 - Diamondbacks, Padres, Dodgers, Angels

Division #8 - Giants, A's, Mariners, Portland

In the East, the Brewers would be the only team not in the Eastern time zone.  An argument could be made to swap St. Louis and Milwaukee.  That would be good for the Brewers, but not good for the Cardinals. Other than that one slot, everything works out nicely.  

Quick question.  Why Portland?

Just now, rico said:

Quick question.  Why Portland?

Portland and Vegas have been the two western cities mentioned when expansion is discussed.  Portland was easier to work into my divisions.  Vegas would be a natural fit with Arizona and the L.A. teams, but that leaves San Diego as an orphan.

Archived