2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, rico said:

The fan in me said 'Go for it'! after reading the headline.

A voice in my head was more cautionary as we keep hearing about how many people are non-symptomatic.  It would only take one of those to work it's way through a clubhouse and spread from there.  Starting and then having to abort would be even worse.

And then, I open the link and read the article and the article directly below that talks about how 3 Ranger minor-leaguers have tested positive.

All that said, the fan in me would not complain if they tried it.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Personally, I think it is creative.

How?

Where would the excitement be? I watch sports for entertainment, and a big, loud, raucous crowd is part of the deal. That's why I love IU basketball when they play at home. Try to duplicate that scene after Watford hit the shot against UK with a quarter of that crowd there...

If this goes on through July, cancel the season and start anew in 2021. If you can get it started in July, compress the schedule and play it in front of home crowds...

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How?

Where would the excitement be? I watch sports for entertainment, and a big, loud, raucous crowd is part of the deal. That's why I love IU basketball when they play at home. Try to duplicate that scene after Watford hit the shot against UK with a quarter of that crowd there...

If this goes on through July, cancel the season and start anew in 2021. If you can get it started in July, compress the schedule and play it in front of home crowds...

I really don't know how many times a home crowd has stormed the field after a regular season MLB game?

At this point in time the nation misses their sports.  Any return to some sense of normalcy would be a good thing...and if that means having an abbreviated MLB season in the state of Arizona, I am all for it.

Just now, rico said:

I really don't know how many times a home crowd has stormed the field after a regular season MLB game?

At this point in time the nation misses their sports.  Any return to some sense of normalcy would be a good thing...and if that means having an abbreviated MLB season in the state of Arizona, I am all for it.

I was talking more about the overall atmosphere...

What does Hohokam hold? 10-12,000?

I don't know...maybe they could wring some excitement out of it...

Baseball is a sport that can be savored anywhere, and it relies much less on crowd involvement than other sports.  If the Reds were on the field and the game was televised, I would be watching.  There are a lot of games played already where the fans are not really a factor.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was talking more about the overall atmosphere...

What does Hohokam hold? 10-12,000?

I don't know...maybe they could wring some excitement out of it...

There probably would be no fans, at least not initially.  This is about getting them on TV and saving that revenue.  

For future trivia uses...

As a side note, trades involving managers are rare. It has happened only five other times:

• John Farrell from the Blue Jays to the Red Sox (2012)
  • Ozzie Guillén from the White Sox to the Marlins (2011)
  • Lou Piniella from the Mariners to the Rays (2002)
  • Gil Hodges from the Senators to the Mets (1967)
  • Joe Gordon (to the Tigers) and Jimmy Dykes (to the Indians) (1960), traded for each other

The one that is absent from that list is Chuck Tanner from the A's to the Pirates(1976).

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Interesting. In strange times I guess there will be plenty of ideas floated. Issue I have is teams construct themselves to beat and win their divisions first so it might be a detriment if teams are split up based on spring training sites only. Cubs would still get Brewers/Reds but no Cardinals. 

I think for this year only we'll hear any and every idea possible to get as many games in and try to figure out a way to determine a title winner by November.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting debate between friends last night and found this article. Longest HR's ever at Wrigley. Must say....whoever the writer is major kudos.

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2016/5/12/11662836/measuring-longest-home-runs-wrigley-field-history

Excellent...Clemente wasn't known for his power, but he did have it...a great hitter (even though his mechanics were ten kinds of screwed up...but it definitely worked for him) the best right fielder I ever saw...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent...Clemente wasn't known for his power, but he did have it...a great hitter (even though his mechanics were ten kinds of screwed up...but it definitely worked for him) the best right fielder I ever saw...

Kingman was my first power guy I loved growing up mostly because he was on the Cubs. I've long thought his shot was the longest. My buddy used to live on Kenmore so can't tell you the number of times I've been at that stoop. Sammy hit his shot on Kenmore too. I always thought if the old yellow building on Waveland wasn't in the way....Glenallen Hill's shot would have surpassed them all. 

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kingman was my first power guy I loved growing up mostly because he was on the Cubs. I've long thought his shot was the longest. My buddy used to live on Kenmore so can't tell you the number of times I've been at that stoop. Sammy hit his shot on Kenmore too. I always thought if the old yellow building on Waveland wasn't in the way....Glenallen Hill's shot would have surpassed them all. 

Dave Kingman was the first Cub player I ever liked. He had even crossover appeal. It was the 1977 White Sox that made me a Sox fan. 

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Dave Kingman was the first Cub player I ever liked. He had even crossover appeal. It was the 1977 White Sox that made me a Sox fan. 

My Dad was a diehard White Sox fan. Still remember him talking so much about the 1959 team. I was hooked on Cubs first time I stepped into Wrigley...but we always had to go to at least one White Sox game in old Comiskey. That was a great ballpark but by the 3rd or 4th inning it felt (and smelled) like we were watching a game in a brewery. 

30 minutes ago, Reacher said:

September 17, 1977 I was at Comiskey.  The Angels won 4-3.  Oscar Gamble hit a shot over my head in RF for a 3-run dong to tie the score at 3 in the bottom of the 7th.  With the score still tied in the top of the 9th...Kessinger botched one at short(it was ruled a hit) then a ground out occured moving the runner over to 2nd.  The Orta botched one at second(error).  1st and 3rd and one out and Clay Carroll comes out of the pen in relief and promptly gives up a single to Bobby Bonds to score the go ahead run.  DP to end the inning.  The game ended on a Richie Zisk pop up.

At least that is how I remember it at the ripe old age of ten.  I still got my ticket stub and score card around here somewhere.  That was a fine Sox team.

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My Dad was a diehard White Sox fan. Still remember him talking so much about the 1959 team. I was hooked on Cubs first time I stepped into Wrigley...but we always had to go to at least one White Sox game in old Comiskey. That was a great ballpark but by the 3rd or 4th inning it felt (and smelled) like we were watching a game in a brewery. 

I have fond memories of my shoes sticking to the cement at old Comiskey along with the old United Center from all the spilled alcohol! The posts were a bit of a pain at both.

Archived