2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, I was going to say Medwick but IUFLA shot that one out of the water...

Ducky won the MVP in 1937, the year he won the NL Triple Crown (last NL player to do that) but the Cards string of 3 in a row was a bit after that, and he wasn't in that group...

A hint...one of the players who won the MVP for the Cards during that stretch had a brother who played for the Cards as well, and was considered one of the best catchers of his era...

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ducky won the MVP in 1937, the year he won the NL Triple Crown (last NL player to do that) but the Cards string of 3 in a row was a bit after that, and he wasn't in that group...

A hint...one of the players who won the MVP for the Cards during that stretch had a brother who played for the Cards as well, and was considered one of the best catchers of his era...

I give up...don't know Redbird history very well, if at all.

From the who cares archives...these baseball cards sold in 1970 by Fleer were where I got a lot of my World Series knowledge...I had them all up to 1970 and pretty much had them memorized...It's how I can to know about Frank McCormick for one...

I just bid on the whole set from eBay...

IMG_20200420_110448.jpg

IMG_20200420_110329.jpg

20 hours ago, rico said:

Well, I was going to say Medwick but IUFLA shot that one out of the water...

So the other two were pitcher Mort Cooper (the hint was his brother, Walker Cooper) and SS Marty Marion (who was one of the nicest men I've ever met)...

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Unless some magic wand exists I'm starting to think something along these lines is the best option if they want to have an almost full season. I'd prefer games to be played in front of hometown fans,etc...but the way a few of the states are talking they aren't opening things up anytime soon and if they do open up...things like MLB games won't be having fans attend them.

Don't really have an answer for players who don't want to play. I get the emotional side of that. I''ll leave that up to the labor laws, contract law,etc....and the players association. 

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I still like the all Arizona proposal the most. It would provide for more variety in scheduling.

One of the most interesting things about these proposals would be how they would group the teams.  For example, if they went to the 3 state proposal above, which teams would go where?  My first thought was send both East divisions to Florida, Central to Texas, and West to Arizona.  But, that does not work because the Astros and Rangers are in the AL West. 

Whatever they decide, it should be interesting.  

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Unless some magic wand exists I'm starting to think something along these lines is the best option if they want to have an almost full season. I'd prefer games to be played in front of hometown fans,etc...but the way a few of the states are talking they aren't opening things up anytime soon and if they do open up...things like MLB games won't be having fans attend them.

Don't really have an answer for players who don't want to play. I get the emotional side of that. I''ll leave that up to the labor laws, contract law,etc....and the players association. 

The Governor of California was directly asked on one of the morning news programs today whether he saw a scenario that had Baseball in July,  schools opening on September, and an election day in November.  His response was something along the lines of 'none of those things will happen in a traditional sense'. 

That does not bode well for any sport, college or pro,

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

The Governor of California was directly asked on one of the morning news programs today whether he saw a scenario that had Baseball in July,  schools opening on September, and an election day in November.  His response was something along the lines of 'none of those things will happen in a traditional sense'. 

Yep. Not sure how it will all play out but if I'm the Giants, Dodgers, A's or Rams/49ers or colleges like UCLA/USC/Cal/Stanford,etc....I'd get used to the idea of playing every game on the road this year.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Not sure how it will all play out but if I'm the Giants, Dodgers, A's or Rams/49ers or colleges like UCLA/USC/Cal/Stanford,etc....I'd get used to the idea of playing every game on the road this year.

Yeah.  That's the thing.  I can't envision a scenario where the SEC is not playing football this fall (with the possible exception of the Georgia plan to re-open so soon having catastrophic results).  So, if the SEC is playing football, how much pressure does that put on other conferences to follow suit.   

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.kron4.com/news/california/los-angeles-mayor-says-no-concerts-or-sporting-events-until-2021/

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Indianapolis VA hospital with the 8th highest Covid-19 death rate in the country.

https://www.wthr.com/article/indiana-va-hospital-8th-highest-death-rate-covid-19-nationwide-3-staff-deaths-also-reported

This is where a lady I knew passed away. They said she had pneumonia and sent her home on a Friday. Died on Sunday. This was very early on...back around March 16th. 

Sorry. Wrong Thread.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Chicago Mayor just came out and said baseball in Chicago is "a ways away" but possible. If I'm Cubs (once MLB says we can play) I'd look into having games in Des Moines or South Bend where Cubs affiliates are.

I would go to South Bend.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I would go to South Bend.

Easier commute but smaller stadium. Time will tell I guess. I've been thinking early July since this whole thing started for Cubs games at Wrigley. Given what the Mayor said and of course Pritzker....I'm pushing that guess back to no clue. Could be August or later now. 

Archived