2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

My god the Reds last two batters took 3rd strikes right down the middle of the plate.  If I was manager a batters took 3rd strikes they would be fined.  Nothing in baseball upsets me more than watching guys taking good pitches because they would rather walk than hit the ball.  If it is close with a 2 strike count swing the bat.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

The Reds season will be over in just a few innings. It's sad but they can't hit. 

Neither team can and I think some of it is the time of day they are playing.  The braves had a top 5 offense in baseball this year so have no idea why they are struggling so much.

I knew when they brought in Igelesias in a n on saving situation we were in trouble.  He just doe snot pitch well in a game we are behind and gave up a 2 run homer in the 8th. If your starters go 13.1 and give up 1 run you should win both games.  If Bell and the hotting coach comes back it is obvious the owners don,t care

While writing this Duvall jus thit another 2 run homer so it is now 5-0 in the 8th.

As a Reds fan i am sick and tired seeing other orginizations signing or drafting players who come through the orginization and produce at the majr league level.  In the last 7 years the Reds has had 3 top 5 picks and so far all we have to show for it is Nick Senzel who is injury prone.  Saw today the Braves pitcher today was the 3rd pick in the same draft that Senzel was drafted 2nd.  He was a high school pitcher and he is ahead of where a college position player is.  Hunter green when picked 2nd looked like a can't miss prospect but he has been limited because of Tommy Jpohn surgery.

Went to the Reds message boards and like me they are upset and want the whole team gone.  A lot of them are now wanting to Castellanos to opt out and leave but I don't agree with that.  I wish votto would just retire but he has 90 million reason not to.  He did say a few years ago if he got to the point where he was not able to contribute he would step away.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Went to the Reds message boards and like me they are upset and want the whole team gone.  A lot of them are now wanting to Castellanos to opt out and leave but I don't agree with that.  I wish votto would just retire but he has 90 million reason not to.  He did say a few years ago if he got to the point where he was not able to contribute he would step away.

I'll take Castellanos in a second. 

I know i beat a dead horse but I hate what analytics is doing to sports in general.  In baseball I hatge that they took away guys like Brett butler who would use his speed to effect games.  He never struckout and would get on base at a high rate.  He would get like 30 to 40 infield hits a year and probably steall 6.0 bases a year.  He would cause havoc on the bases and get into the pitchers head.  this also helped the batters batting behind him becaus ethey would get better pitches.

Today you can't have players like that because he doe snot hit homeruns and does not have aenough of a launch angle LOL!  I am tired of seeing one of 3 things happen and that is a K, walk or homerun.  Like in the Reds series in the first 20 innings you had 2 runs and no himeruns.  In the 8th inning today the braves scored 4 runs because they hit two homers.

As for the Reds I think the hitters approachis so selfish because they will not change their approach.  Especially the left handed bats where you have the shift on the right side and what do they do most if not striking out is hitting a weak ground ball right into the shift.  Why not put down a bunt because the 3rd base line is wide open and probably get on  easy.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know i beat a dead horse but I hate what analytics is doing to sports in general.  In baseball I hatge that they took away guys like Brett butler who would use his speed to effect games.  He never struckout and would get on base at a high rate.  He would get like 30 to 40 infield hits a year and probably steall 6.0 bases a year.  He would cause havoc on the bases and get into the pitchers head.  this also helped the batters batting behind him becaus ethey would get better pitches.

Today you can't have players like that because he doe snot hit homeruns and does not have aenough of a launch angle LOL!  I am tired of seeing one of 3 things happen and that is a K, walk or homerun.  Like in the Reds series in the first 20 innings you had 2 runs and no himeruns.  In the 8th inning today the braves scored 4 runs because they hit two homers.

As for the Reds I think the hitters approachis so selfish because they will not change their approach.  Especially the left handed bats where you have the shift on the right side and what do they do most if not striking out is hitting a weak ground ball right into the shift.  Why not put down a bunt because the 3rd base line is wide open and probably get on  easy.  

During the Cubs game yesterday I think they flashed a stat showing since 2016 75-80% of playoff wins have been by team with most HR's. Not saying I agree or disagree just the numbers.

On the flip side....I'd suggest you cheer for the Marlins. They steal bases, bunt....and count on great situational hitting from Donnie's team.  

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

During the Cubs game yesterday I think they flashed a stat showing since 2016 75-80% of playoff wins have been by team with most HR's. Not saying I agree or disagree just the numbers.

On the flip side....I'd suggest you cheer for the Marlins. They steal bases, bunt....and count on great situational hitting from Donnie's team.  

To me that is the way to play the game.  I just don't understand why prginizations think al of this analytics are the best way of playing the game.  To me sports are so more regimented and have no flair to it any longer.  People have tried to make sports perfect and have taken a lot of the enjoyable parts away from it.  To me if things has worked for years why try to toally change the sport because some stat guys think it should be changed.

Archived