Maryland post game

rico

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, InThePaint said:

I apologize. The numbers I looked up had his defense the last 3 years at 23, 25, and 29. Still doesn’t answer the question of calling it mediocre. Is anything outside of that elite 10-15 considered mediocre? Using those numbers, his first 3 years offensively Don’t appear to be mediocre either. I strongly disagree on your assessment. Also, what’s the point of bringing up his recruiting at Dayton? Saying he didn’t land an elite recruit at Dayton, but then saying it isn’t a point against him isn’t really fair. At the mid major level and below, you’re not looking for an elite recruit. You’re looking at how the pieces are going to fit. And if we’re using your definition of elite as top 10-15, then no mid major coach ever has been a good recruiter.

The 4 years shows consistency. I believe consistency is what everyone wants. Speaking for myself, I can see how Archie wants to play. Tough defense trying to force opponents to take contested shots from deep, while taking care of the ball and getting good shots on the offensive end. He wants them pushing the ball up the floor with the bigs rim running to get good post position before the defense gets set because he knows they struggle shooting the ball. What’s the best option for this team? What would you do different philosophy wise with this team?

People are frustrated and rightfully so. I don’t think it’s fair to attempt to discredit everything he did at Dayton though.

I don’t discount it. I just think it has nothing to do with what he will/can do at IU. Winning at a mid Major is not the same as winning in a power five. Just my opinion

10 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Here’s a sobering thought: after starting with Mike Roberts as his anchor in year one, Crean went 27-9 in year 4.  I’ll bet all I own Archie won’t get to 27 wins next year. And I really thought Archie could come in and get it done.  Sooooooo wrong.  He’s in WAY over his head.  

Chris Beard is a fabulous coach on both ends of the floor, particularly defense. 

Mile Roberts was not the anchor in year one with Crean

I don't buy the argument that Archie just needs to recruit better shooters.  I think the issue is way bigger than that.

I still remember in Archie's first year, there was a game when Green had a wide open 3 towards the beginning of the shot clock.  It was right in front of the bench, and he didn't take it.  If I remember right, he even turned around to the bench, almost asking, "is this a shot I can take?"  You can see it with our guys.  Even when we get an open 3, it isn't usually shot in rhythm.  It is almost like, "oh hey, I'm open."  We look at the 3 as almost a last resort.  I really think his system has taken all confidence away from shooters.

The system might also be a reason why we haven't recruited good shooters.  If you're a 3 point shooter, why would you want to come to a team that emphasizes post play, defense, and puts very little emphasis on the 3?  That isn't basketball in 2020.  That's basketball in the 1980s.

9 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Yikes.  That is an eye opener.  I said it earlier we kept seeing improvements early with CTC that gave us all hope.  Sadly with CAM right now the light at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

It’s barely a flicker with me!

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't buy the argument that Archie just needs to recruit better shooters.  I think the issue is way bigger than that.

I still remember in Archie's first year, there was a game when Green had a wide open 3 towards the beginning of the shot clock.  It was right in front of the bench, and he didn't take it.  If I remember right, he even turned around to the bench, almost asking, "is this a shot I can take?"  You can see it with our guys.  Even when we get an open 3, it isn't usually shot in rhythm.  It is almost like, "oh hey, I'm open."  We look at the 3 as almost a last resort.  I really think his system has taken all confidence away from shooters.

The system might also be a reason why we haven't recruited good shooters.  If you're a 3 point shooter, why would you want to come to a team that emphasizes post play, defense, and puts very little emphasis on the 3?  That isn't basketball in 2020.  That's basketball in the 1980s.

Glad to see you on the BB side!! 

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Memphis is a paper program

I don't disagree, it's just not something enjoyable to see after watching our game.I feel like I broke up with a woman who is fairly attractive and cool, but has a bit of a drinking problem for a hotter girl who has turned out to be bipolar with an STD. 

I looked at TT schedule this year and it looks pretty close to ours.  They pretty much started 5-0 beating up on cupcakes and scoring a lot of points.  Ten they lost 3 in a row to Creighton, Iowa and Depaul and twice scored 60 points.  They did beat UL which was a huge win and there next best win was today against Oklahoma St.  If we had an opening Beard would be one of my top choices but I just don't think it would be a home run hire.

6 minutes ago, InThePaint said:

I apologize. The numbers I looked up had his defense the last 3 years at 23, 25, and 29. Still doesn’t answer the question of calling it mediocre. Is anything outside of that elite 10-15 considered mediocre? Using those numbers, his first 3 years offensively Don’t appear to be mediocre either. I strongly disagree on your assessment. Also, what’s the point of bringing up his recruiting at Dayton? Saying he didn’t land an elite recruit at Dayton, but then saying it isn’t a point against him isn’t really fair. At the mid major level and below, you’re not looking for an elite recruit. You’re looking at how the pieces are going to fit. And if we’re using your definition of elite as top 10-15, then no mid major coach ever has been a good recruiter.

The 4 years shows consistency. I believe consistency is what everyone wants. Speaking for myself, I can see how Archie wants to play. Tough defense trying to force opponents to take contested shots from deep, while taking care of the ball and getting good shots on the offensive end. He wants them pushing the ball up the floor with the bigs rim running to get good post position before the defense gets set because he knows they struggle shooting the ball. What’s the best option for this team? What would you do different philosophy wise with this team?

People are frustrated and rightfully so. I don’t think it’s fair to attempt to discredit everything he did at Dayton though.

I’m just trying to see why everyone keeps telling me he’s such a GREAT coach.  Like I said, the offensive/defensive efficiency numbers are mediocre to me.  While it may be understandable that he didn’t land any elite recruits at Dayton, that’s certainly not something you can point to in his favor.  And making the tournament in a mid-major conference 4 years in a row just isn’t all that impressive IMO — and again, the same people who tell me what a great coach Archie is also tell me what a terrible coach Crean is, and he did essentially the same thing in a much better conference.

And when I say philosophy, I mean trying to build your half-court offense pretty much entirely around posting up your big men and totally neglecting three-point shooting.  That’s partly a failure in recruiting, but if you go back and look at his offenses at Dayton, they’ve pretty much always taken few attempts from three and shot a mediocre percentage.  And regardless of what he’s trying to do on offense, the players are failing miserably to execute it — it’s on the coach making $3M+ to get the players to do what he wants them to do.  On defense, we’re terrible at guarding the three-point line and constantly get lit up from three.

Whether you want to call these issues a failure in recruiting, philosophy, scheme, execution, etc., it doesn’t matter.  It’s been a dumpster fire, and there are currently no signs that it’s going to improve any time soon.

Archived