Pre-Game Thread - NW@IU - 1/8/20

rico

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Kenpom predicts an 8-12 conference record. 

KenPom was pretty accurate last year as I recall. That's possible, but I think we'll do better. I think we win the OSU and MD home games, he's predicting losses just based on their being better teams overall.

Side note here too, of course he's not sitting down and analyzing IU's schedule, he just has computer programs filling in the variables while adding in the teams. We're focused on our team, KenPom is not. That's not to take away from his statistics/system, just saying it's a system.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Cofidence -

Optimism +

At some point the law of averages has to kick in and somebody* has to have a hot hand.  Tonight's as good as any.

(* wearing cream & crimson)

Frankly, I would prefer they save the hot hand for Saturday.  I think we should be able to win tonight without our A game.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:20 AM, milehiiu said:

Day ?  Wednesday, January 8, 2020

When ? 5 p.m.  MounTain time

Where ?  The Carnegie Hall of College Basketball

TV ?   BTN

Radio ? The IU Radio Network.

Northwestern :

Currently ?  5-8

Ken Pom ? 108

Northwestern basketball down to 7 healthy scholarship players - Chicago Tribune

“Mountain time!”

Whatevs, mile, always trying to make us jealous. 😜

My prediction for tonight

1) If we win big tonight we ill see a little activity here but people will say no big deal we were supposed to win

2) If we barely win like the Ne. game then people will be here jumping off the bridge

3) If we lose, god help us all because it will be full nuclear meltdown.

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Kenpom predicts an 8-12 conference record. 

Would that be like 18-13 overall?  I think that has us in the same position as last year, needing to make a run in the BTT to try and get in tournament.  I believe we need 20 wins going into the BTT to be comfortable.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My prediction for tonight

1) If we win big tonight we ill see a little activity here but people will say no big deal we were supposed to win

2) If we barely win like the Ne. game then people will be here jumping off the bridge

3) If we lose, god help us all because it will be full nuclear meltdown.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with that. This is a NW team that any good team should handle easily at home. Nebraska is a team that any good team should handle at home. Everyone is saying how difficult the road is in the Big Ten and even good teams are losing and even getting blown out on the road, so why should Nebraska and NW come into Assembly Hall and give us a run for our money? Why isn't it hard to come into Assembly Hall and get a win?

I'm still not sure on what is more concerning, the Maryland and Wisconsin road blowouts, or losing at home to Arkansas and barely squeaking by Nebraska at home. 

It's absolutely concerning if IU struggles to get a win tonight against NW. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with that. This is a NW team that any good team should handle easily at home. Nebraska is a team that any good team should handle at home. Everyone is saying how difficult the road is in the Big Ten and even good teams are losing and even getting blown out on the road, so why should Nebraska and NW come into Assembly Hall and give us a run for our money? Why isn't it hard to come into Assembly Hall and get a win?

I'm still not sure on what is more concerning, the Maryland and Wisconsin road blowouts, or losing at home to Arkansas and barely squeaking by Nebraska at home. 

It's absolutely concerning if IU struggles to get a win tonight against NW. 

I am mainly talking about #1 because if we win we never see the activity on this board like when we lose.

Like I said in another thread, just start hitting some outside shots to open up the defensive plan of packing the middle, make free throws, cut turnovers, and guard the three point line on defense.  The rest will take care of itself against NW and everyone else, so that every game will either be a win or very competitive with a 50-50 chance of a win.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am mainly talking about #1 because if we win we never see the activity on this board like when we lose.

Well, yeah. Beating NW at home isn't that newsworthy. I'm going off memory, but I believe there was some good board activity following the Fla St. win. That was a statement win against a good team. Of course if Nebraska takes you to OT at home there is going to be a lot of negative chatter. 

I'd assume if IU wins convincingly tonight and then follows that up with an OSU win that you'll see some good activity after that game. I guess my point is, the context matters. While all wins count the same in the standings, they don't all count the same as far as the performance of the team and what drives chatter. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Well, yeah. Beating NW at home isn't that newsworthy. I'm going off memory, but I believe there was some good board activity following the Fla St. win. That was a statement win against a good team. Of course if Nebraska takes you to OT at home there is going to be a lot of negative chatter. 

I'd assume if IU wins convincingly tonight and then follows that up with an OSU win that you'll see some good activity after that game. I guess my point is, the context matters. While all wins count the same in the standings, they don't all count the same as far as the performance of the team and what drives chatter. 

Well probably good that I won't be able to be here after the game no matter what happens.  I have to pick my daughter up from the airport tonight at 10 so I won't be on this board.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

KenPom was pretty accurate last year as I recall. That's possible, but I think we'll do better. I think we win the OSU and MD home games, he's predicting losses just based on their being better teams overall.

Side note here too, of course he's not sitting down and analyzing IU's schedule, he just has computer programs filling in the variables while adding in the teams. We're focused on our team, KenPom is not. That's not to take away from his statistics/system, just saying it's a system.

36 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Would that be like 18-13 overall?  I think that has us in the same position as last year, needing to make a run in the BTT to try and get in tournament.  I believe we need 20 wins going into the BTT to be comfortable.

Please keep in mind that there is still data being used from last year for all teams.

For example, Purdue is 22nd....

20 wins IU is a lock 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hope she has a safe flight and safe travels. 

Thank you, she went to LA to see an old roommate from IU who moved out there.  Flight supposed to be into Indy at 10:05 and it takes about 45 minutes from Greenfield to get there so hopefully I can watch the whole game.

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes and no. I would bet you good money that if we win tonight and beat OSU, the OSU post-game thread will still be fairly short. The L's, for whatever reason, lead to lengthy bitch fest threads. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes and no. I would bet you good money that if we win tonight and beat OSU, the OSU post-game thread will still be fairly short. The L's, for whatever reason, lead to lengthy bitch fest threads. 

Because this is what we do these days. 

Ever flip through Yelp or Google Business reviews? I mean, people respond when they like something, but rarely do they *talk* about it. A phone call with a company you’re happy with doesn’t take nearly the length of time as if you’re happy.  When a person sits down with a therapist, they have more frequent appointments if things aren’t going well.

When we are unhappy, we really get after it. 

16 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Because this is what we do these days. 

Ever flip through Yelp or Google Business reviews? I mean, people respond when they like something, but rarely do they *talk* about it. A phone call with a company you’re happy with doesn’t take nearly the length of time as if you’re happy.  When a person sits down with a therapist, they have more frequent appointments if things aren’t going well.

When we are unhappy, we really get after it. 

So the Mods here are therapists? Haha.

OK, I said for whatever reason -- I think to be fair there are several that could be in play:

-- People just get more involved/animated generally in calling out the faults, the mistakes, the screw-ups, than the positives, the good play, the reasons for optimism, etc.

-- People are snake bit, they're wary of getting optimistic, after a 12-2 start last year, after good games were followed by bad second half collapses, after good shooting has (other than (Green) reverted to poor shooting percentages, after we continue to play a 3-big lineup despite its repeated shortcomings, etc.

-- The Debbie Downers are more vocal, or more numerous, than the people who believe in the team, the coach, or see signs for optimism.

-- Related, there are a number of fans / members who look for problems, and post most after losses, because they're still RMK enthusiasts and are disgusted with the administration, or who are just down on IU and the administration, or who think CAM and his pack line are wrong for IU, or aren't really IU fans at all, or who just flat out like to complain

-- all of the above

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So the Mods here are therapists? Haha.

OK, I said for whatever reason -- I think to be fair there are several that could be in play:

-- People just get more involved/animated generally in calling out the faults, the mistakes, the screw-ups, than the positives, the good play, the reasons for optimism, etc.

-- People are snake bit, they're wary of getting optimistic, after a 12-2 start last year, after good games were followed by bad second half collapses, after good shooting has (other than (Green) reverted to poor shooting percentages, after we continue to play a 3-big lineup despite its repeated shortcomings, etc.

-- The Debbie Downers are more vocal, or more numerous, than the people who believe in the team, the coach, or see signs for optimism.

-- Related, there are a number of fans / members who look for problems, and post most after losses, because they're still RMK enthusiasts and are disgusted with the administration, or who are just down on IU and the administration, or who think CAM and his pack line are wrong for IU, or aren't really IU fans at all, or who just flat out like to complain

-- all of the above

I just look at Butler this year where they were coming off a bad year and were picked to finish 8th in their conference.  They are now 6th in the country and playing very well so to me that shows that one year does not mean the same thing will happen the following year.

We have to keep any eye on Kopp because he is a very good shooter.  Watching them against Minnesota the other night they got down 23 and then Kopp hit 4 straight 3's and they cut the lead to 10.  Also I saw where Bouie who missed the last game and was averaging 22 pts the last 3 games is a game time decision.  They also without another starter who is also a game time decision.  They played MSU tough and only lost by 5 to them but that was at NW.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We have to keep any eye on Kopp because he is a very good shooter.  Watching them against Minnesota the other night they got down 23 and then Kopp hit 4 straight 3's and they cut the lead to 10.  Also I saw where Bouie who missed the last game and was averaging 22 pts the last 3 games is a game time decision.  They also without another starter who is also a game time decision.  They played MSU tough and only lost by 5 to them but that was at NW.

We need wing defenders on the floor. We do NOT need to play big for extended stretches. Hopefully, that changes. If I see Brunk trying to run out to the perimeter to defend 3-point shooters, I'm going to be ticked off.

Archived