Let's take a shot at Rutgers. Pre-game thread.

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

All week, Coach Knight's famous quote keeps ringing in my ear.  "I was worried about this game. Until I looked over to the LSU bench.  And saw who was coaching the game"

Coach Pickle's ( err Pikiell ) record at Rutger :  53-56.

I don't know Mile, here's his record at Stony Brook. I think he has something building at Rutgers. He took over for a coach who was 29-68 at Rutgers.

2005–06 Stony Brook 4–24 2–14 9th  
2006–07 Stony Brook 9–20 4–12 9th  
2007–08 Stony Brook 7–23 3–13 8th  
2008–09 Stony Brook 16–14 8–8 5th  
2009–10 Stony Brook 22–10 13–3 1st NIT First Round
2010–11 Stony Brook 15–17 8–8 5th  
2011–12 Stony Brook 22–10 14–2 1st NIT First Round
2012–13 Stony Brook 25–8 14–2 1st NIT Second Round
2013–14 Stony Brook 23–11 13–3 2nd CBI First Round
2014–15 Stony Brook 23–12 12–4 T–2nd CBI First Round
2015–16 Stony Brook 26–7 14–2 1st NCAA Division I First Round

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...he hated Dale Brown with a passion but Brown had a lot of success at LSU (probably bought a lot of players too).

Pikeill (sp?) does appear to be a pretty good coach.  One thing the B1G has is good coaching.  I think Little Ricky is pretty poor, but beyond that, a lot of good coaches in the league and I'd include Rutgers coach there as well.  Little Ricky = bad and not yet sold on Underwood, despite his success this year, but beyond that, I can't think of a bad coach in the league.

Yeah.  Just the other day. I heard one BB guru saying that Pikiel was his coach of the year, up to this point.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...he hated Dale Brown with a passion but Brown had a lot of success at LSU (probably bought a lot of players too).

Kind of my point in bringing up Coach Knight's comments. Brown had success. At LSU.  And so for. Pikell has it going for him at Rutgers. In both cases, does not mean they can't be out coached, in a game to game basis. 

43 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't know Mile, here's his record at Stony Brook. I think he has something building at Rutgers. He took over for a coach who was 29-68 at Rutgers.

2005–06 Stony Brook 4–24 2–14 9th  
2006–07 Stony Brook 9–20 4–12 9th  
2007–08 Stony Brook 7–23 3–13 8th  
2008–09 Stony Brook 16–14 8–8 5th  
2009–10 Stony Brook 22–10 13–3 1st NIT First Round
2010–11 Stony Brook 15–17 8–8 5th  
2011–12 Stony Brook 22–10 14–2 1st NIT First Round
2012–13 Stony Brook 25–8 14–2 1st NIT Second Round
2013–14 Stony Brook 23–11 13–3 2nd CBI First Round
2014–15 Stony Brook 23–12 12–4 T–2nd CBI First Round
2015–16 Stony Brook 26–7 14–2 1st NCAA Division I First Round

Right -- so now he is in his 4th year at Rutgers and he now has them rolling. Some pretty interesting comparisons could be made here with CAM -- This from ITH:

Steve Pikiell, now in his fourth season in Piscataway, has built a defense-first culture that is translating into wins. Pikiell, who build a consistent winner at Stony Brook in the America East before taking the Rutgers job in the spring of 2016, had a top 50 defense nationally the last two seasons, but has taken it up a notch in year four.

The Scarlet Knights currently rank 13th nationally in Ken Pomeroy’s adjusted defensive efficiency metric. In Big Ten play, Rutgers owns the league’s fourth best defense (.935 PPP allowed) and when combined with a homecourt advantage, there’s a legitimate chance for the program’s first NCAA tournament bid since 1991.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/01/14/what-to-expect-rutgers-8/

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Right -- so now he is in his 4th year at Rutgers and he now has them rolling. Some pretty interesting comparisons could be made here with CAM -- This from ITH:

Interesting comparison.  I wish it wasn't a comparison of IU basketball and Rutgers but i see the point.  The finish of this year and next year will be telling, and big to the fanbase.  If we continue to get better than last year and then again next year, i see no reason then to doubt the coach and continue to trust him. 

It pisses me off that Rutgers expects to beat IU.  I hope it pisses the players off more.

...and from what I read, look for Rutgers to try to rough Phinisee up.  Could be a very physical game...hope the refs don't bow to the hometown pressure and swallow their whistles.

The most frustrating thing for me, and it’s not just this year’s team, is the fact that we have to determine a win based on “which IU team actually shows up.” It’s exhausting to have to hope to all heaven that the good version of the team that goes all out and plays with passion the whole time is the one that walks out onto the court. That should be something we shouldn’t have to worry about. I was really happy with how we responded after the ugly Northwestern win and I’m leaning towards confident that whatever Archie said to them after that game has helped them turn the corner for the better. If they would just wake up and realize that if they give 100% effort for a full 40 minutes, it’s gonna be really hard for teams to beat us. Tonight’s effort is really going to show us a lot as far as if they really did take Archie’s “had enough” speak to heart. 

I just noticed the Jacob Young plays for Rutgers.  Watched him a lot at Texas then he transferred after his soph year.  I didn't pay attention where he went until now.  He fits the profile of one of those players who occasionally gets hot for a game and scores in bunches then disappears for several games.  I think he was known as a scorer coming out HS in Houston.  He has 4 double figure games in a row  but his best game was Caldwell College. Maybe that one doesn't count.  He just came off a nice game vs Illinois.  Unless he has found consistency as a junior he is due to disappear.   That said, there always seem to be some player that IU turns into star and they cannot stop.  This guy is capable.  He had 16 of Rutgers 51 vs illinois and hit 4 of 7 from the arc. I hope IU keeps him quiet early in the game and he likely will disappear.   

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Pikeill (sp?) does appear to be a pretty good coach.  One thing the B1G has is good coaching.  I think Little Ricky is pretty poor, but beyond that, a lot of good coaches in the league and I'd include Rutgers coach there as well.  Little Ricky = bad and not yet sold on Underwood, despite his success this year, but beyond that, I can't think of a bad coach in the league.

You're ready to include Juwan Howard in that good group?  Not saying he's bad, but...not really shown anything special.

16 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

It pisses me off that Rutgers expects to beat IU.  I hope it pisses the players off more.

...and from what I read, look for Rutgers to try to rough Phinisee up.  Could be a very physical game...hope the refs don't bow to the hometown pressure and swallow their whistles.

An elbow to the teeth could have them re-evaluate their bullying scheme.

I kid..I kid 

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

You're ready to include Juwan Howard in that good group?  Not saying he's bad, but...not really shown anything special.

I probably should have put him in the unknown category with Underwood...just not enough information.  It's apparent that like Penny, he can at least recruit.  He's got some good bench coaches and if he listens to them, I think he'll be a real thorn in the B1G's side, but...as I said, too early to call.  Well see...

3 hours ago, IUrocker said:

The most frustrating thing for me, and it’s not just this year’s team, is the fact that we have to determine a win based on “which IU team actually shows up.” It’s exhausting to have to hope to all heaven that the good version of the team that goes all out and plays with passion the whole time is the one that walks out onto the court. That should be something we shouldn’t have to worry about. I was really happy with how we responded after the ugly Northwestern win and I’m leaning towards confident that whatever Archie said to them after that game has helped them turn the corner for the better. If they would just wake up and realize that if they give 100% effort for a full 40 minutes, it’s gonna be really hard for teams to beat us. Tonight’s effort is really going to show us a lot as far as if they really did take Archie’s “had enough” speak to heart. 

I agree for the most part. It is really frustrating and shouldn't be a thing everyone has to worry about.

With that said, if the effort, passion and intensity isn't there tonight then I put that squarely on the players, not Archie. Archie has shown them what they're capable of if they play hard and play with passion. It shouldn't be the coaches job to have to gas up the players for every individual game. If the players don't know these games are important and you need to play hard everytime out, then that is on them. 

The piece that does go on Archie is that if this continues to be a problem, then it's time to find new players in the offseason. But, pleading with his players to care, play hard and play with passion shouldn't be a huge concern of his or something he has to routinely worry about, it should be an expectation. If he has to constantly worry about it, then he has the wrong players. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I agree for the most part. It is really frustrating and shouldn't be a thing everyone has to worry about.

With that said, if the effort, passion and intensity isn't there tonight then I put that squarely on the players, not Archie. Archie has shown them what they're capable of if they play hard and play with passion. It shouldn't be the coaches job to have to gas up the players for every individual game. If the players don't know these games are important and you need to play hard everytime out, then that is on them. 

The piece that does go on Archie is that if this continues to be a problem, then it's time to find new players in the offseason. But, pleading with his players to care, play hard and play with passion shouldn't be a huge concern of his or something he has to routinely worry about, it should be an expectation. If he has to constantly worry about it, then he has the wrong players. 

Completely agree. I definitely think it’s on the players and not the coach. I like Archie, and knowing his personality I’m sure he’s just as frustrated. It’s not him and who goes out and plays lazy and shows no emotion.  I was happy to find out he laid into the team and gave them the “enough is enough” deal. If they come out tonight and don’t show the same toughness and effort he demands that they showed in the Ohio State game, then that’s on the players. 

Your post was pretty much exactly what I was trying to get at, but in a much better way, so thanks, ha. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I probably should have put him in the unknown category with Underwood...just not enough information.  It's apparent that like Penny, he can at least recruit.  He's got some good bench coaches and if he listens to them, I think he'll be a real thorn in the B1G's side, but...as I said, too early to call.  Well see...

Yeah...I agree about his bench coaches...and his recruiting appeal.  My guess is that with time he has the chance to be a good coach.  Right now he's learning what it's all about being in charge.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Surprised that Vegas has IU just a 3 and 1/2 point dog to Rutgers.  Considering the B1G record of home court teams this year. And the fact that IU is looking for their first B1G road game victory of the year.  I can almost taste a road win tonight.

Mile they are undefeated at home and the home team wins over 85% of the time in the B1G.  Sorry but a loss is pretty much guaranteed tonight.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Mile they are undefeated at home and the home team wins over 85% of the time in the B1G.  Sorry but a loss is pretty much guaranteed tonight.

Understand the home team advantage this year.  However, being JUST a 3 and 1/2 point dog. IF, and it is a big IF, IU brings the energy they brought against OSU... I could see Rutgers losing their first home court game tonight. Especially considering one of their key players is out with a thumb injury.  And their number two sat out early minutes last time out due to early fouls.  We have disposable guys along the front line that could cause that to happen again.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

He's got some good bench coaches and if he listens to them, I think he'll be a real thorn in the B1G's side

Howard's best recruiting job thus far was on Martelli.  That was a brilliant hire.  What more could a first time head coach want more as a lead assistant than a guy with 30+ years of head coaching experience and a national coach of the year award to his name?

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Rutgers has won 85% of their home games over their history?  Wow, never knew.  Thanks for the info and enjoy watching Butler and Seton Hall.  No sense in tuning into a game that is not winnable.

Archived