2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Maybe it's just because I like it and want it to be true but this is why the NFL is so awesome. You have small market teams in KC, Green Bay, Buffalo, Cincy, Tennessee, and to some extent Tampa either winning this year or dominating the league for past few years.

Unlike some of the other leagues (historically speaking...I know there are instances) in the NFL you hire smart people, draft/develop and you have the same shot as anyone.

Good luck to anyone in daily contests today. Winds are up in Tampa but the heavy rain they predicted has moved out. Dallas/San Fran should be a really good game. Not sure Ben has much of a shot tonight for his likely last game. At least he's going out on the big stage in the playoffs. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe it's just because I like it and want it to be true but this is why the NFL is so awesome. You have small market teams in KC, Green Bay, Buffalo, Cincy, Tennessee, and to some extent Tampa either winning this year or dominating the league for past few years.

Unlike some of the other leagues (historically speaking...I know there are instances) in the NFL you hire smart people, draft/develop and you have the same shot as anyone.

Good luck to anyone in daily contests today. Winds are up in Tampa but the heavy rain they predicted has moved out. Dallas/San Fran should be a really good game. Not sure Ben has much of a shot tonight for his likely last game. At least he's going out on the big stage in the playoffs. 

Regarding the small market thing.  My son asked me last night what time slot he thought the Bengals would get next weekend.  I told him Saturday afternoon again because Cincy and Tennessee (assuming KC beats Pittsburgh) are both small markets.  I went on to try to show him how the teams from the bigger markets would get the prime-time slots and found myself realizing there were a lot more small market teams in the playoffs than big market teams.  The entire final four in the AFC will be small market regardless of who wins tonight.

That said, the Bengals will almost assuredly get the Saturday afternoon slot again.  The NFC rep that wins Monday will most definitely play next Sunday.  If seeding holds otherwise, that will be against Green Bay.  That leaves probable matchups of KC / Buffalo and Tampa Bay against Dallas (again, assuming seeding holds).  KC & Buffalo will be prime time because of the star power.  The seeded NFC matchups have both a big market and star power in both games.  Bengals v Titans has the least to offer from a viewership standpoint. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Some NFL playoff trivia:

Ben Roethlisberger is the 3rd QB since 1950 to make a playoff start as a rookie and in his final season.

Who are the other two?

Danny Marino has to be one.  Trying to think of rookie QB’s because that’s a tall order, to take a team to the playoffs as a rookie.  I’m thinking of that 1950 reference. Must be an old timer?  Not Bart Starr or Unitas…

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Danny Marino has to be one.  Trying to think of rookie QB’s because that’s a tall order, to take a team to the playoffs as a rookie.  I’m thinking of that 1950 reference. Must be an old timer?  Not Bart Starr or Unitas…

Dan Marino is indeed one.  And the other is no old timer.

• Thanks 1

Rant time. 

I'm already tired of hearing about the inadvertent whistle in the Bengals / Raiders game.  Let's set aside for a minute that it had no bearing whatsoever on the result of the play.  But, the idea that it cost the Raiders the game is just sour grapes.  Charles Woodson (a former Raider, I get it) said on TV this morning that, in his mind, the game is ties right now.   Really?  Let's look at why that is an absurd statement.   

For starters, the rule, if enforced, says the play does not happen and the down is replayed.  Who is to say that the Bengals don't still score a touchdown?  And, here's the kicker.  They may have taken enough time off the clock in doing so that the Raiders would not have had time to come down and score their own touchdown at the end of the half.  The Bengals scored with 1:51 left in the half on the controversial play. The Raiders scored with 13 seconds left in the half.  If the Bengals run even one more play, let alone 3 or 4, the Raiders do not have those 13 seconds.  Their touchdown does not happen in that scenario.  And, even if the Bengals had to settle for a field goal,

If you take the Raiders TD at the end of the half off the board as well, and give the Bengals a FG, the Raiders are down 10 on the last drive of the game, not 7.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Rant time. 

I'm already tired of hearing about the inadvertent whistle in the Bengals / Raiders game.  Let's set aside for a minute that it had no bearing whatsoever on the result of the play.  But, the idea that it cost the Raiders the game is just sour grapes.  Charles Woodson (a former Raider, I get it) said on TV this morning that, in his mind, the game is ties right now.   Really?  Let's look at why that is an absurd statement.   

For starters, the rule, if enforced, says the play does not happen and the down is replayed.  Who is to say that the Bengals don't still score a touchdown?  And, here's the kicker.  They may have taken enough time off the clock in doing so that the Raiders would not have had time to come down and score their own touchdown at the end of the half.  The Bengals scored with 1:51 left in the half on the controversial play. The Raiders scored with 13 seconds left in the half.  If the Bengals run even one more play, let alone 3 or 4, the Raiders do not have those 13 seconds.  Their touchdown does not happen in that scenario.  And, even if the Bengals had to settle for a field goal, if you take the Raiders TD off the board as well, the Raiders a  

GET OFF MY LAWN!

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Rant time. 

For starters, the rule, if enforced, says the play does not happen and the down is replayed.  Who is to say that the Bengals don't still score a touchdown?  And, here's the kicker.  They may have taken enough time off the clock in doing so that the Raiders would not have had time to come down and score their own touchdown at the end of the half.  The Bengals scored with 1:51 left in the half on the controversial play. The Raiders scored with 13 seconds left in the half.  If the Bengals run even one more play, let alone 3 or 4, the Raiders do not have those 13 seconds.  Their touchdown does not happen in that scenario.  And, even if the Bengals had to settle for a field goal,

If you take the Raiders TD at the end of the half off the board as well, and give the Bengals a FG, the Raiders are down 10 on the last drive of the game, not 7.

I saw a clip after the game of Bisaccia talking about the officiating.  He basically said that there were calls that favored both teams and he left it at that.  Sure, he was being gracious, I think, but also honest in his comments.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Rant time. 

Dude, the media and fans just try to find a "story" or a "headline" to cling to.t

The story of that game was not written by one stupid miss whistle. It was a complete blunder by the refs, but meh, whatever. 

It's upset the media and fans way, way more than the Raiders allowed for it to bother them. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

I am not a homer for either team, and it was a horrendous call.  Embarrassing for the league.  They will fix it in the offseason.  Maybe after it is fixed, the Bengals will benefit the other way.

The hypotheticals of what would have happened are not relevant.  They are just that, hypotheticals.  That's precisely the point, and the gripe.  The Raiders would say that Burrow could have thrown a pick six or that they would have scored faster with less time to work with.  That's not the issue.

At the end of the day, it was a bad, and embarrassing call and the Bengals don't have to worry about it.  On to Tennessee.  

Just now, btownqb said:

Eagles better pound Jordan Howard. That's what I need right now. Howard like 14 carries today, I love watching him run the football. 

Yeah...One of the first times I got pissed at Nagy was the Bears trading him because "Howard didn't fit Nagy's system"...like anyone believed he had a legit system. Howard was a beast for the Bears.

It was like Groundhog's Day when the Bears traded away Olsen because he didn't "fit" the coaches scheme. And the Bears have sucked at TE since.

• Like 2