2023 NFL Discussion

rico

49 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Had a Jim Harbaugh jersey!! Pulled my first tooth out while wearing it and bled all over it!! 

Matt Ryan is bad man. The turnovers alone are insane. 

Turnovers have definitely been bad, and about half of them have been his fault. Gotta fix that for sure.

But as @IU Scott, there's others that are clearly worse. And frankly, he isn't really that different than anyone we've had since Luck, sans Rivers. 

The problem with this team is that we have a terrible offensive line and we are below average at almost every position that matters in terms of winning. Your boy LDB has loaded us up on studs at worthless positions and you've unfortunately bought what he is selling in terms of that being a good job. We are woefully behind contenders from a talent perspective, and that is on the GM. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Turnovers have definitely been bad, and about half of them have been his fault. Gotta fix that for sure.

But as @IU Scott, there's others that are clearly worse. And frankly, he isn't really that different than anyone we've had since Luck, sans Rivers. 

The problem with this team is that we have a terrible offensive line and we are below average at almost every position that matters in terms of winning. Your boy LDB has loaded us up on studs at worthless positions and you've unfortunately bought what he is selling in terms of that being a good job. We are woefully behind contenders from a talent perspective, and that is on the GM. 

The offensive line has played poorly. Yes. That is on Frank Reich and the players. Idk who LDB is. 

Worthless positions? Where did this stuff come from? What could be determined as a worthless position in football? 

On 11/28/2022 at 3:33 PM, Seeking6 said:

I'm liking where my Bears are at. More cap room by double than next closest team and if season ended we would have top 3-4 pick. Spend free agency $ on Oline, trade back to whichever team will pay the world to get a QB....and still be able to take Carter from Georgia. 

You still need a qb.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The offensive line has played poorly. Yes. That is on Frank Reich and the players. Idk who LDB is. 

Worthless positions? Where did this stuff come from? What could be determined as a worthless position in football? 

LDB = Little Dick Ballard. He got championed as BDB by fan boys and he deserves the opposite title. 

Okay... positions not worth spending a ton of money on, is that better for you? Off ball outside linebackers, guards, right tackles, third down scat backs. He has failed, for 6 years now, to get us guys at impact positions; it's a theme. So who cares that he puts a roster of Pro Bowlers together when they all play positions that aren't the difference in winning and losing football games. 

We can say he inherited a mess, and I don't disagree, but he did also inherit an elite QB and a really, really good LT. He's failed to replace either of them, and really hasn't even made an attempt at it. He had a great WR that was aging, failed to get a number 1 to replace him (or at least in-time, I think Pittman is really good but we should have taken a guy like him earlier). He inherited an elite corner, let him walk, and didn't replace him until this season. He's never gotten us a big time safety, despite trying several times; he goes bargain bin shopping on high risk, high reward guys and so far none of them have really paid off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Still on that one? Fields has very clearly turned a corner, you may just be the last person to see it. 

No he's not. I have three friends who feel the same. I just have no energy towards Justin Fields to argue you about him, but I don't think he's a franchise QB. 

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think he means all our “star” talent are at positions that aren’t high difference making positions. Guard as opposed to tackle who blocks the best pass rushers. Interior DL as opposed to pass rusher….running back as opposed to QB and WR. Problem I see is a lot of key players have regressed this year. Especially those that just got big pay days. In the end a qb stirs the drink. Denver shows that no matter how talented you are on defense etc if you don’t have the right guy leading the offense it’s all for naught. I don’t know if Ballard has done a bad job but more like he hasn’t done a good job at acquiring guys at those big deference making positions. Right or wrong he has tried to band aid the qb position nor hace we put together a deadly pass rush. The game as it stands now emphasizes those two things the most. He just hasn’t found answers at those spots and in my mind played it safe in trying to solve them…he hasn’t been bold in acquiring the right guys instead trying to patch them with old qbs, middling draft picks, and lateral trade moves. On the surface looking like a lot of moves and high profile old qbs but band aid moves at best that have lost their adhesive and won’t even stick well.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Time will tell but I think we have one. 

I’d be lying if I have faith he is going to be a great qb. I think his legs will get him in the middling level but in the end he still has to read defenses and throw the ball to take that team over the top. I have my doubts but we will see. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Still on that one? Fields has very clearly turned a corner, you may just be the last person to see it. 

🤷‍♂️ guess I’m not very smart. Which really really good defense has he carved up? The most recent run of games were against some of the weakest defenses in the league. His feet has salvaged some big games..and that can win some games in the NFL…but you better be able to do more if you want to take the next level.

Edited by dgambill

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

🤷‍♂️ guess I’m not very smart. Which really really good defense has he carved up? The most recent run of games were against some of the weakest defenses in the league. His feet has salvaged some big games..and that can win some games in the NFL…but you better be able to do more if you want to take the next level.

New England, Dallas, and Miami are some of the weakest defenses in the league? I mean I'll give you Detroit having a weak defense the game after that, but that isn't his fault. 

His last four starts prior to the game he got hurt, which were against those four teams, the Bears are averaging over 30 PPG and his QBR was anything from 63 to 96, but at least 73 in three of the four. Josh Allen is third in the league in QBR and it's 73 for the year.... 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think he means all our “star” talent are at positions that aren’t high difference making positions. Guard as opposed to tackle who blocks the best pass rushers. Interior DL as opposed to pass rusher….running back as opposed to QB and WR. Problem I see is a lot of key players have regressed this year. Especially those that just got big pay days. In the end a qb stirs the drink. Denver shows that no matter how talented you are on defense etc if you don’t have the right guy leading the offense it’s all for naught. I don’t know if Ballard has done a bad job but more like he hasn’t done a good job at acquiring guys at those big deference making positions. Right or wrong he has tried to band aid the qb position nor hace we put together a deadly pass rush. The game as it stands now emphasizes those two things the most. He just hasn’t found answers at those spots and in my mind played it safe in trying to solve them…he hasn’t been bold in acquiring the right guys instead trying to patch them with old qbs, middling draft picks, and lateral trade moves. On the surface looking like a lot of moves and high profile old qbs but band aid moves at best that have lost their adhesive and won’t even stick well.

I understand. I just don't agree with the term. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d be lying if I have faith he is going to be a great qb. I think his legs will get him in the middling level but in the end he still has to read defenses and throw the ball to take that team over the top. I have my doubts but we will see. 

Time will tell for sure. Having a couple of guys who can actually catch and help their receiver out will be priority 3 in offseason besides getting help on OL and DL.

I wouldn't mind signing Tony Pollard either. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

LDB = Little Dick Ballard. He got championed as BDB by fan boys and he deserves the opposite title. 

Okay... positions not worth spending a ton of money on, is that better for you? Off ball outside linebackers, guards, right tackles, third down scat backs. He has failed, for 6 years now, to get us guys at impact positions; it's a theme. So who cares that he puts a roster of Pro Bowlers together when they all play positions that aren't the difference in winning and losing football games. 

We can say he inherited a mess, and I don't disagree, but he did also inherit an elite QB and a really, really good LT. He's failed to replace either of them, and really hasn't even made an attempt at it. He had a great WR that was aging, failed to get a number 1 to replace him (or at least in-time, I think Pittman is really good but we should have taken a guy like him earlier). He inherited an elite corner, let him walk, and didn't replace him until this season. He's never gotten us a big time safety, despite trying several times; he goes bargain bin shopping on high risk, high reward guys and so far none of them have really paid off. 

I don't believe in the term "impact positions". Those might be impact positions for other teams, doesn't have to be for every team. 

Look what Tennessee does with a shitty QB, damn good OL, damn good RB, and a studly defense that is built around an all world DT. Football will never go away from the idea that blocking and tackling are #1 and #2, no matter how much people try and "manipulate" it. 

I admitted if we are going to pay 3 OL, one needs to be LT. But, more importantly then anything to do with CB.... Nelson, Smith (not recently), Kelly, Kenny Moore, Pittman, Taylor haven't played well. Plus Matt Ryan sucks and is slow. 

And now Darius Leonard isn't an impact player? He caused 12 turnovers last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I don't believe in the term "impact positions". Those might be impact positions for other teams, doesn't have to be for every team. 

Look what Tennessee does with a shitty QB, damn good OL, damn good RB, and a studly defense that is built around an all world DT. Football will never go away from the idea that blocking and tackling are #1 and #2, no matter how much people try and "manipulate" it. 

I admitted if we are going to pay 3 OL, one needs to be LT. But, more importantly then anything to do with CB.... Nelson, Smith (not recently), Kelly, Kenny Moore, Pittman, Taylor haven't played well. Plus Matt Ryan sucks and is slow. 

And now Darius Leonard isn't an impact player? He caused 12 turnovers last year. 

I'm honestly a bit unsure how to respond to someone saying "impact positions" don't exist. Of course they exist.

Not sure what you're saying with the Tennessee example, because what do you think they do? They haven't beaten a good team all year and they'll get bounced in the first round most likely again. The only team over .500 they did beat was Washington, and that was when they were 1-3 and still playing Wentz. 

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep! But if one thing is certain the RB position needs depth. Guys always going down. I'll take 2 quality RB's going to camp every single year and Pollard and Herbert fit the bill perfectly for me. 

I agree about 2 RBs. No question, hell... give me three. Just didn't know 100% if Pollard truly compliments Herbert. Splitting hairs. 

Either way, Bears would undoubtedly be better with Pollard. Concur. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm honestly a bit unsure how to respond to someone saying "impact positions" don't exist. Of course they exist.

Not sure what you're saying with the Tennessee example, because what do you think they do? They haven't beaten a good team all year and they'll get bounced in the first round most likely again. The only team over .500 they did beat was Washington, and that was when they were 1-3 and still playing Wentz. 

Ok. But this is like year 4 of Vrabel having this team in the mix at the top of the AFC. I mean, they ended Brady's time in NE, right? 

9-7

9-7

11-5

12-5

7-4 

48-28 overall is flat out getting it done. No elite QB, no elite LT, no elite WRs (THIS YEAR) or his first year coaching. No elite TEs. No elite corners..... they just line up and kick the shit out of you. They are DAMN good on the interior of both lines, they don't miss tackles. 

53 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

New England, Dallas, and Miami are some of the weakest defenses in the league? I mean I'll give you Detroit having a weak defense the game after that, but that isn't his fault. 

His last four starts prior to the game he got hurt, which were against those four teams, the Bears are averaging over 30 PPG and his QBR was anything from 63 to 96, but at least 73 in three of the four. Josh Allen is third in the league in QBR and it's 73 for the year.... 

We will see. This front office isn’t married to him. Didn’t like Claypool move so who knows if the FO will lock him up Fields long term…but I didn’t like how slow he was to see things in college and still not sold on it in the nfl. I’d be a hypocrite to change my opinion of him now after a couple good games. Took Geno like 10 years to figure it out. Certainly Fields can too…but heck I’m not even sold on Hurts much less Fields. I think his legs cover up a lot…but in the end he will have to learn to win games in the pocket and use those runs to be a difference maker…not the opposite. Lots of time to found out…and heck Bears have a lot of other holes to fill as well so we will see. I’m not feeling to good about either of the Colts and Bears rosters so we will see.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. But this is like year 4 of Vrabel having this team in the mix at the top of the AFC. I mean, they ended Brady's time in NE, right? 

9-7

9-7

11-5

12-5

7-4 

48-28 overall is flat out getting it done. No elite QB, no elite LT, no elite WRs (THIS YEAR) or his first year coaching. No elite TEs. No elite corners..... they just line up and kick the shit out of you. They are DAMN good on the interior of both lines, they don't miss tackles. 

Yeah, Vrabel is a very good coach. He's also benefited from a weak division. They really haven't accomplished a lot other than being the best team in a bad division, but if you want to get into the "why"....

...you're ignoring that the Titans DO have impact players at a lot of key spots, just not enough of them. They have an impact safety, they have an elite LT, they have a really good pass rush (a few guys... Landry, Simmons, Autry, brought in Dupree from Pitt), they've invested a lot in corners (first round pick last year, 35th overall pick this year), they had an elite WR and used a first round pick to invest in another, brought over a really good vet WR in Woods.

So if we are using the Titans as a barometer, it's no wonder they consistently beat the crap out of us and stack up a lot of wins. The only major thing they really are missing is a QB. 

• Like 1