The HđŸ”„T Seat

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

These aren’t just “road losses” though. We’re getting destroyed on the road. Complete no-shows. That matters. Losing by 20 every road game isn’t the same as losing by 3. The margin of defeat and offensive/defensive efficiencies impact NET, RPI, Saragin, being ranked in general, etc. 

BEAEFB93-A6EA-4E33-838B-4022BD2B9380.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Nope.

Folks...I know it gets frustrating but all today was a road loss in conference play. I understand if people have 20 years of frustration....I get it....I'm frustrated too. However it's just a loss. Get back to business this week. Win out at home that gets us to 19 before BTT. That puts us in tourney. 

We arent making  the ncaa.

1 hour ago, Shapopojoe said:

I think there is some serious fantasy going on around here if someone thinks this team makes the tournament. Pity spot? Maybe. But who are we kidding to think they don’t get tossed in first round? “Just one road game “ lol. Come on man. They done. Cheer them on of course....but face reality. 

Well I would rather get in the tournament and lose inv1st round than win the NIT.  If we win all of our home games then we will be in the tournament because the other bubble teams are just as bad.

1 hour ago, Shapopojoe said:

We were on the bubble according to most analysts before the Purdue game. Doubtful we make it at this point. I mean u are not living in reality if you think the rest of the schedule that a light switch clicks on and then win. Last place in b10 gets in? I call bs 

Before the game Palm had us as a 9 seed

Some of you need to stop looking at where we are in the conference rankings because the committee doe snot look at where you finish in the conference.  You are graded against every team and not just your conference so you need to look at the other bubble teams and see that they are not good as well.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

These aren’t just “road losses” though. We’re getting destroyed on the road. Complete no-shows. That matters. Losing by 20 every road game isn’t the same as losing by 3. The margin of defeat and offensive/defensive efficiencies impact NET, RPI, Saragin, being ranked in general, etc. 

Let's not forget the lackluster game, at home, against Peeyeew!!!! That, to me, was way worse than a 20 + point beat down on the road.....

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some of you need to stop looking at where we are in the conference rankings because the committee doe snot look at where you finish in the conference.  You are graded against every team and not just your conference so you need to look at the other bubble teams and see that they are not good as well.

I know that’s what they say. However, most of the other bubble teams will be 5-7 in their conference. Politically, much easier to take team 6 versus 11 or 12. 

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sigh.  It's so easy to generalize and say we suck.  I asked a couple of weeks ago and got no takers, so I will issue a challenge directly at you.

As of this moment, give me a 68 team field that does not include IU.

And.........I will pick it apart.

There are 32 auto bids.  Not including a conference tournament champion from each conference, there are 10 Big Ten teams, 6 Big East teams, 6 SEC teams, 5 PAC 12 teams, 4 Big 12 teams, 3 ACC teams, 3 A10 teams, 2 WCC teams, 2 AAC teams, 1 Mountain West team, and 1 SoCon team that are ahead of IU in the NET.  That’s 75 teams right there, and that’s before factoring in today’s loss.

I get that you have an issue with the NET, and I don’t disagree with you entirely.  But based on the ranking system that’s used to select the tournament field, IU is in very real danger of missing the tournament at this point.  The problem is, there are arguments for and against every team that finishes in the bottom half of a power conference with less than 20 total wins, not to mention mid-major teams that are getting more opportunities in recent years. When you can’t hit those very meager benchmarks, no team “deserves” to make the tournament much more than any other team.  You’re totally at the mercy of the metrics and the selection committee.

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I know that’s what they say. However, most of the other bubble teams will be 5-7 in their conference. Politically, much easier to take team 6 versus 11 or 12. 

I have heard plenty of guys who have went through the mock process and they say they never discuss conference standing or affiliations at all.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yep. And at the end of the day a team and coach can mail it in....or realize they have a chance to change the story. What other choice is there right now? You either prep for Minnesota or worry about the macro. We can worry about the rest at the end of the season but right now I don't see any point in failing the emotional intelligence game too. 

I think my biggest concern with Archie thus far is the fact that I thought he was a defensive guy. I’ve yet to watch them play against any power five team(good without injuries/suspensions), and been overly impressed. 

I often look back at Coach Knight’s camps when I was a kid, remembering him always coaching us hard on the defensive end. He’d say, “Hey, it takes one thing and only one thing to become a great defensive player and that’s effort!” Then follow that up by telling us that communication is how you become a great/cohesive team. I just don’t see that with Archie’s teams. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect Archie to coach the same way as Knight. I just expect him to convey a similar message to the players, hoping for optimal results. 

25 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

There are 32 auto bids.  Not including a conference tournament champion from each conference, there are 10 Big Ten teams, 6 Big East teams, 6 SEC teams, 5 PAC 12 teams, 4 Big 12 teams, 3 ACC teams, 3 A10 teams, 2 WCC teams, 2 AAC teams, 1 Mountain West team, and 1 SoCon team that are ahead of IU in the NET.  That’s 75 teams right there, and that’s before factoring in today’s loss.

I get that you have an issue with the NET, and I don’t disagree with you entirely.  But based on the ranking system that’s used to select the tournament field, IU is in very real danger of missing the tournament at this point.  The problem is, there are arguments for and against every team that finishes in the bottom half of a power conference with less than 20 total wins, not to mention mid-major teams that are getting more opportunities in recent years. When you can’t hit those very meager benchmarks, no team “deserves” to make the tournament much more than any other team.  You’re totally at the mercy of the metrics and the selection committee.

Again, you're generalizing by focusing on a single metric.  

• A Purdue team that finishes the regular season at 16-15 is not going to get in ahead of an IU team that finishes at 19-12. 
  • And, can we put a fork in Minnesota, regardless of their NET
  • UNC Greensboro, Utah State, Richmond, Georgetown, Cincinnati, Xavier, etc. are not going to get at-large bids ahead of a 19-12 Indiana team.  They just aren't.  

Now, conference tournaments are a wild card.  if there are 3-4 bid stealers, then IU could be at risk.  Or, if IU finishes the regular season at less than 19 wins, they are at risk.

But, assume IU wins it's final 3 home games.  Two of those are Quad 1 wins.  That gives IU 6 or 7 Quad 1 victories.  No other bubble team can match that.

18 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I think my biggest concern with Archie thus far is the fact that I thought he was a defensive guy. I’ve yet to watch them play against any power five team(good without injuries/suspensions), and been overly impressed. 

I often look back at Coach Knight’s camps when I was a kid, remembering him always coaching us hard on the defensive end. He’d say, “Hey, it takes one thing and only one thing to become a great defensive player and that’s effort!” Then follow that up by telling us that communication is how you become a great/cohesive team. I just don’t see that with Archie’s teams. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect Archie to coach the same way as Knight. I just expect him to convey a similar message to the players, hoping for optimal results. 

I think one of our fan base problems is that we try to judge every coach on how RMK coached and to me that is not fair.  We are talking about if not the greatest but 1 of the top 3 coaches of all time.  We will probably never find a coach at IU who will be of that caliber just like CLA still has not found that coach.

13 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

It would be an embarrassment if we made the NCAA Tournament with how we've played this season, unless we drastically and miraculously turned things around, and that's not likely to happen.

Why would that be an embarrassment because other teams are in the same category.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would that be an embarrassment because other teams are in the same category.

Ding Ding! We have a winner. We are now just another team. Just another program. Just where the PC culture and everyone gets a trophy mentality  wanted us. 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think one of our fan base problems is that we try to judge every coach on how RMK coached and to me that is not fair.  We are talking about if not the greatest but 1 of the top 3 coaches of all time.  We will probably never find a coach at IU who will be of that caliber just like CLA still has not found that coach.

To be fair, I am old school, going back to the peak of the Knight years.  I am not comparing Archie to Knight.  I am comparing Archie to coaches today.  I don't think 3 years is enough of an opportunity for fans to expect a Final Four caliber team.  But, I do think it's enough time to realistically expect Iu to make the tournament.  But, what is most disturbing to me is the lack of effort we often see with this team, much like what we had today.  A lot of that is on the players, but some of that is on the coach as well.  There is zero reason why Deron did not start the second half in place of Brunk.  Zero reason.  Starting Deron as a reward may have lit a fire under not only Brunk, but other guys that were not making it happen.  What motivation does anyone have when their performance in a game does not matter.  

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I get that it isn’t... had I left my camp experiences with Coach Knight out, is the message or results any different?

2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Ding Ding! We have a winner. We are now just another team. Just another program. Just where the PC culture and everyone gets a trophy mentality  wanted us. 

What does that have to do with this year making the tournament.  We all want to get back to where we are a top 3 seed in the tournament but right now that is not where we are at.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• A Purdue team that finishes the regular season at 16-15 is not going to get in ahead of an IU team that finishes at 19-12. 
  • UNC Greensboro, Utah State, Richmond, Georgetown, Cincinnati, Xavier, etc. are not going to get at-large bids ahead of a 19-12 Indiana team.  They just aren't.  

Now, conference tournaments are a wild card.  if there are 3-4 bid stealers, then IU could be at risk.  Or, if IU finishes the regular season at less than 19 wins, they are at risk.

But, assume IU wins it's final 3 home games.  Two of those are Quad 1 wins.  That gives IU 6 or 7 Quad 1 victories.  No other bubble team can match that.

I don’t think focusing on the primary metric used to seed the tournament is generalizing.  And you’re making some pretty big assumptions here to guarantee IU makes the tournament.  I think it’s probably more likely than not that 19 regular season wins would get IU in, but it’s far from guaranteed.  And I’d also say it’s far from guaranteed that IU gets to 19 regular season wins at this point.  The bottom line is IU isn’t a lock to make the tourney at this point any way you slice it, nor should they be.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To be fair, I am old school, going back to the peak of the Knight years.  I am not comparing Archie to Knight.  I am comparing Archie to coaches today.  I don't think 3 years is enough of an opportunity for fans to expect a Final Four caliber team.  But, I do think it's enough time to realistically expect Iu to make the tournament.  But, what is most disturbing to me is the lack of effort we often see with this team, much like what we had today.  A lot of that is on the players, but some of that is on the coach as well.  There is zero reason why Deron did not start the second half in place of Brunk.  Zero reason.  Starting Deron as a reward may have lit a fire under not only Brunk, but other guys that were not making it happen.  What motivation does anyone have when their performance in a game does not matter.  

I totally agree with every thing you said and you know I am old school as well.  I am not trying to make excuses for Archie because he has to get this righted or he will be gone in a year.  I just think we as IU fans expect IU today be just like it was under RMK and that is asking a lot from any coach.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is something to be said for finishing stong and being an entertaining team.  It's not supposed to be that way but we all know the NCAA is about money abs matchups make money.  Ever wonder we always get put in Kentucky's bracket.

If we are close we're going to get left out.  We need to make a statement these last few games.  That includes the BTT

Archived