Indiana University vs Duke basketball discussion thread

milehiiu

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think De’Ron is going to be on the court much against Duke.  Having watched them play last night, I’ll be pretty surprised if he doesn’t pick up 2 fouls in the first couple minutes.

I fear the same thing. I'm expecting to see Hartman guarding Bagley at some point. This is the big stage De'Ron needs to take advantage of. A big game from him would do wonders for his confidence and the teams future prospects. It's time for him to deliver. 

Reasons to be optimistic:

1. Duke may be tired, playing it's 4th game (and traveling a lot) in less than a week.
2. Freshman typically get rattled by hostile environments. They have a lot of freshman and the Hall is always hostile when Duke visits. 
3. Colin will be back...hopefully he'll play a lot of minutes.
4. We are well rested and have had 5 days to prepare. 

....We really could not have asked to be in a better situation, but can we capitalize? 

^^ Would add that coming out of the gate with energy and focus -- not starting slow -- is likely a real key to this game. If our guys can hang with Duke into the 2nd half, the pressure will be on Duke. Duke's games so far have shown a tendency to allow teams to get going -- really should try to capitalize on that. On the flip side, if we're trying to dig ourselves out of a hole because of a slow start, that will be a deep hole to get out of.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Would add that coming out of the gate with energy and focus -- not starting slow -- is likely a real key to this game. If our guys can hang with Duke into the 2nd half, the pressure will be on Duke. Duke's games so far have shown a tendency to allow teams to get going -- really should try to capitalize on that. On the flip side, if we're trying to dig ourselves out of a hole because of a slow start, that will be a deep hole to get out of.

The game last night was a game of runs. We can't be too over confident if we get up big. Have to keep our foot on the gas. If we fall behind, they are young as well and I would expect that we can get back in it with a run of hot shooting and our crowd. 

If Davis does indeed get into foul trouble, which I think is likely as he's pretty unathletic and these Duke bigs are athletic and long, I'd love to see Archie give the Morgan/Smith combo a try. I think it was the Arkansas St. game where he had that combo on the floor together for a while and I remember liking it. Those are our two most skilled guys on the inside and they also bring some length that can make up for their height. 

I'd be interested in trying a lineup (not saying start, just giving it a few minutes to see what happens) of:

Durham

Rojo

Hartman

Smith

Morgan

It gives us some size/length at every position (except RoJo) and is probably our most skilled/smart lineup. It's not the most athletic, but you've got some shooting, and again just really skilled guys that should take care of the ball, communicate, box out, play hard, etc. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If Davis does indeed get into foul trouble, which I think is likely as he's pretty unathletic and these Duke bigs are athletic and long, I'd love to see Archie give the Morgan/Smith combo a try. I think it was the Arkansas St. game where he had that combo on the floor together for a while and I remember liking it. Those are our two most skilled guys on the inside and they also bring some length that can make up for their height. 

I'd be interested in trying a lineup (not saying start, just giving it a few minutes to see what happens) of:

Durham

Rojo

Hartman

Smith

Morgan

It gives us some size/length at every position (except RoJo) and is probably our most skilled/smart lineup. It's not the most athletic, but you've got some shooting, and again just really skilled guys that should take care of the ball, communicate, box out, play hard, etc. 

I like that lineup. Durham's a frosh and at some point he's going to hit the frosh wall, and have a bad game, but man is he doing a great job of taking care of the ball and making the "smart" play. I like pairing him with Rob, with Durham as primary ball handler. Hartman as the stabilizer and on floor coach, adding outside shooting. Morgan and Smith as another combination of experience with a dynamic young player, and they bring greater athleticism and quickness to go with the ability to rebound and score inside. 

Not intended to discount Davis at all, or for that matter Newkirk who just had a strong game, but I like this lineup and would like to see it in action.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I like that lineup. Durham's a frosh and at some point he's going to hit the frosh wall, and have a bad game, but man is he doing a great job of taking care of the ball and making the "smart" play. I like pairing him with Rob, with Durham as primary ball handler. Hartman as the stabilizer and on floor coach, adding outside shooting. Morgan and Smith as another combination of experience with a dynamic young player, and they bring greater athleticism and quickness to go with the ability to rebound and score inside. 

Not intended to discount Davis at all, or for that matter Newkirk who just had a strong game, but I like this lineup and would like to see it in action.

Agree on Durham, and my thought process there was that IU is going to struggle with Duke's length and athleticism, so having Durham on the floor, assuming he can handle the moment, gives the backcourt a 6'4" point guard with length. You need that size and length against teams like Duke. 

I like Davis, but he's just cemented to the floor. He's a more lumbering big which I'm not sure works great in this game, unless IU can control pace and make it a slow, defensive game. But, if it's an up and down game, Davis will struggle. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Reasons to be optimistic:

1. Duke may be tired, playing it's 4th game (and traveling a lot) in less than a week.
2. Freshman typically get rattled by hostile environments. They have a lot of freshman and the Hall is always hostile when Duke visits. 
3. Colin will be back...hopefully he'll play a lot of minutes.
4. We are well rested and have had 5 days to prepare. 

....We really could not have asked to be in a better situation, but can we capitalize? 

You can add to that list, the fact that K, himself admitted that with their schedule, Duke has yet to have practiced.  And may not practice before arriving in Bloomington. By that, Duke has not been able to practice in over a week.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree on Durham, and my thought process there was that IU is going to struggle with Duke's length and athleticism, so having Durham on the floor, assuming he can handle the moment, gives the backcourt a 6'4" point guard with length. You need that size and length against teams like Duke. 

I like Davis, but he's just cemented to the floor. He's a more lumbering big which I'm not sure works great in this game, unless IU can control pace and make it a slow, defensive game. But, if it's an up and down game, Davis will struggle. 

I'd like to see Davis develop a consistent elbow shot or 12-14 footer. That would help him space the post area better, I think, a little more room to then establish position. He's not a running big, but I do think he can be very effective as he continues to grow his game away from fouling (positioning, continuing better fitness) and integrates some shooting to go with banging.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'd like to see Davis develop a consistent elbow shot or 12-14 footer. That would help him space the post area better, I think, a little more room to then establish position. He's not a running big, but I do think he can be very effective as he continues to grow his game away from fouling (positioning, continuing better fitness) and integrates some shooting to go with banging.

A knock-down, mid-range jumper would do wonders for Davis' game. Same with Morgan. If those two could consistently hit perimeter (10-15ft) jumpers, then offense would really open up IMO. 

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think De’Ron is going to be on the court much against Duke.  Having watched them play last night, I’ll be pretty surprised if he doesn’t pick up 2 fouls in the first couple minutes.

I think it's very important we establish De'ron early in the game. Duke would try to do that too to give De'ron foul trouble. It'd be quite challenging for De'ron since Bagley's got excellent face up game. 

Hartman should be huge for us, we need his 3pt shooting and defense, he is gonna hit some big shots in this game and bring the leadership that the rest of our team needs.

Guards need to play at a very high level, and I would love seeing Robert Johnson have the breakout game this season and prove that he can be the go-to-guy that we need.

As a team we need to play great defense, and hopefully get some of there guys in foul trouble, Grayson Allen needs to have a hand his face at all times because if he gets hot we are in deep trouble.

I think that IU can compete with Duke at home. Assembly Hall will be ROCKING, and if we can get off to a quick start and have the momentum on our sides early.. I like our chances.

It's not just De'Ron. Archie has remained consistent in this early season.  Get two quick fouls before the ten minute mark in the first half.... and you will be sitting. Does not matter who you are.  And something, among may things I am liking about a Miller coached team.

I can tell you all this.  My Duke friends have the ultimate respect for IU, Assembly Hall, and the IU program. Many are concerned that this could be a trap game for the Blue Devils. Others are very concerned about the historic atmosphere in AH. And when I expressed to them my concern why IU was being paired with Duke in the challenge, many of them said it was because of the name on the front of the uniform. Others said ESPN recognizes it as a marque game, regardless of IU's record last year.

It's good to get respect, from a fans of a premiere basketball program. 

Just to let you know, there still is respect out there for our program.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Green is due for a big game. He's had some down games, but we know he's got the talent. Like others, I think he's been adjusting to a different role and style of play. Would not be surprised to see him really step it up.

Ok, I kind of had this same point of view with Newkirk before the year started, but maybe bring Green in off the bench and kinda give him the green light (no pun intended) and tell him to go make a play?  Keep ot within the offense, not go completely rogue like JBJ but say "hey, we need a bucket...go get us one."

Archived