Coronavirus

Reacher

53 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Will be curious to see what happens for sure. As article says more testing means more cases. I would like to see the net numbers or percentages based on number of tests available w/results. One other thing you can't forget to factor in. South Bend is South Bend. Not necessarily Indiana Governor's biggest fans and secondly....the number of people who come into South Bend from Illinois and Michigan the last 2-3 weeks. Hard to count for those numbers too.

For those on twitter. @seantrende is a good follow. He broke down all the numbers in Texas this morning. Really good information in there for all. Basically breaks down the increased new cases along with increased testing which produces a net when those are factored in. The graphs I just saw show Texas 7 day rolling average is decreasing each day.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We have to depend on UK for research?  From the article:

According to Dr. Baxter, there are now nine new registered trials trying this idea, including at Stanford, University of Kentucky, NYU Langone, University of Pittsburgh, and Vanderbilt among others.

Interesting article: Sweden’s outbreak has been far deadlier than those of its neighbors, but it’s still better off than many countries that enforced strict lockdowns.

I had a conversation yesterday and we’re talking about how so much is still unknown about this virus. Like how UK and Sweden decided to forego lock downs, yet, UK got slammed and Sweden didn’t? In Sweden, almost 30 percent more people died during the epidemic than is normal during this time of year, an increase similar to that of the United States. But as we all know, they did this without a lock down.

Anyway, this article dives into a few comparisons/differences with Sweden and other countries. There’s definitely still a lot more that needs to be studied. I did find it interesting that 56% of their households are single person households. And obviously, the fewer percentage of obese people are helping their numbers, but you’d think an older population would work against them. This whole thing is puzzling. 

DE524DBD-DFF2-4E4A-AD21-F9DEAAC40C77.jpeg

Edited by tdhoosier

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Interesting article: Sweden’s outbreak has been far deadlier than those of its neighbors, but it’s still better off than many countries that enforced strict lockdowns.

I had a conversation yesterday and we’re talking about how so much is still unknown about this virus. Like how UK and Sweden decided to forego lock downs, yet, UK got slammed and Sweden didn’t? In Sweden, almost 30 percent more people died during the epidemic than is normal during this time of year, an increase similar to that of the United States. But as we all know, they did this without a lock down.

Anyway, this article dives into a few comparisons/differences with Sweden and other countries. There’s definitely still a lot more that needs to be studied. I did find it interesting that 56% of their households are single person households. And obviously, the fewer percentage of obese people are helping their numbers, but you’d think an older population would work against them. This whole thing is puzzling. 

DE524DBD-DFF2-4E4A-AD21-F9DEAAC40C77.jpeg

What do you think about Vitamin D supplementation? The Nords do add a lot of Vitamin D to their diet. Vitamin D seems to possibly have a positive effect.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:58 AM, milehiiu said:

I wonder what the end game is for counting people that have the virus, but dies of other things, as Covid deaths.  Would someone that has cancer but dies of alcohol poisoning be classified as a cancer death?  No, of course not.  

Edited by 5fouls

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I wonder what the end game is for counting people that have the virus, but dies of other things, as Covid deaths.  Would someone that has cancer but dies of alcohol poisoning be classified as a cancer death?  No, of course not.  

Money.  Hospitals get, It I reall $19,000 per covid death, $39,000 if a ventilator was used.

In not hard hit places, doctors and nurses are being furloughed due to lack of work.  

This one size fits all response will prove to be disastrous.

F China.

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What do you think about Vitamin D supplementation? The Nords do add a lot of Vitamin D to their diet. Vitamin D seems to possibly have a positive effect.

For sure. If I were to guess, I’d think they take vitamin D to supplement for the lack of sunlight. 

I there’s a lot of talk about the virus getting weaker in the summer, which I’m not sure is the correct way to put it. Because of the sunlight and Vitamin D, I think that our immune systems get stronger in the summer. Which is why I’m hoping that we’ll see a lull in R (reproductive rate) these next couple of months. 

It is funny that you mention Vitamin D though considering how tied it is to a healthy immune system. But there are other things that we can easily do and will help strengthen our immune system. I don’t understand why there isn’t a greater call to get healthy, especially in this moment. Things like sleep well, try to keep your stress level down, eat healthy, lessen your sugar intake, etc. All of these are proven to help people ward off viruses or lessen their severity. I know everybody is waiting for a vaccine or magical cure, but there are things that we can do to help ourselves and decrease our risk for an ICU visit while we have all this extra time on our hands. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

We actually had a Colorado person who died of alcohol poisoning, classified as a death due to the corona virus :

Colorado man died of alcohol poisoning, but death was later blamed on coronavirus: report 

What people don't take into consideration is the cultural differences, life in Sweden is nothing like life in America!!! Or China for instance!

I have a program manager that gives me weekly updates on the 40 some tools I have being built in China. She lives in Wuhan! I've been to the PRC, I know better than to put her in a bad place trying to get her first hand  opinion of the virus. I simply wish her and hers all the best! She wishes me the same!

No offense, but life here in rural Georgia is NOTHING like life in say NYC! We need to STOP trying to put things in our own perspective, because we are all clueless to other peoples cultures!

35 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

What people don't take into consideration is the cultural differences, life in Sweden is nothing like life in America!!! Or China for instance!

I have a program manager that gives me weekly updates on the 40 some tools I have being built in China. She lives in Wuhan! I've been to the PRC, I know better than to put her in a bad place trying to get her first hand  opinion of the virus. I simply wish her and hers all the best! She wishes me the same!

No offense, but life here in rural Georgia is NOTHING like life in say NYC! We need to STOP trying to put things in our own perspective, because we are all clueless to other peoples cultures!

Definitely agree. You couldn’t have a shut down like in Wuhan here in the US because of the culture. Populated cities are different than rural areas. But the Demographics I referenced abouve about and the cultural differences are all just a drop in the pond in what we truly know. I’m also really curious if we eventually find out that some sort of genetic disposition makes people more vulnerable than others. 

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Definitely agree. You couldn’t have a shut down like in Wuhan here in the US because of the culture. Populated cities are different than rural areas. But the Demographics I referenced abouve about and the cultural differences are all just a drop in the pond in what we truly know. I’m also really curious if we eventually find out that some sort of genetic disposition makes people more vulnerable than others. 

I've lived a life of shall we say less than sterile! I have to believe my immune system is Super Man compared to most people!😁  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Indiana state campgrounds open next Sunday, May 24. I have reservations set and I will not be thinking about the novel covid-19.

That is all.....

Wonderful. Enjoy the sun.  And remember to keep social distancing.

Good common sense is what we all should be practicing.

Have fun.... getting out.  And take care.

• Like 1