Coronavirus

Reacher

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I live in the Cherry Creek school district here in Colorado.  Our kids have been going to class.  However... it has just been announced that starting in a couple of days..... they will have to go back to in home learning.  Also... know of a young lady attending college in Colorado.  And just hates all the restrictions put on her due to the pandemic.  May drop out because of it. 

Just to show how quickly these things can change, my wife works in my kids school and now is saying that our entire county may be shutting down soon and going back to virtual. 

Amazing how quickly this thing spreads and changes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Just to show how quickly these things can change, my wife works in my kids school and now is saying that our entire county may be shutting down soon and going back to virtual. 

I liken how it spreads to a game of tag. If nobody is it, nobody will get caught. Once someone is it, they can catch a lot of people in a hurry. Same thing with the virus.

I think people get lulled into a false sense of security because they aren't around people who have the virus. If you go to a party with 50 people, and nobody there is sick, you won't get sick. Now with it spreading quickly, those get togethers that were having zero people sick are starting to have 1 or 2, and they infect a lot of people at the get together.

I don't see things slowing down much until 2021 with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and cold weather coming up.

• Like 4

Better start stocking up now if you havent. 

Dr. Michael Osterholm, who is a member of Joe Biden's newly announced coronavirus task force, said on Tuesday to MSNBC that the United States must go back into a lockdown to get COVID-19 cases under control.

"Can you see a scenario around the corner, perhaps, in this winter where there’s some form of a national lockdown, maybe like one we’re seeing in Europe, where the schools stay open or some form of a lockdown if this gets bad enough?" MSNBC host Willie Geist asked.

"Well, first of all, if you interview 50 people, you can get 75 different definitions of what a lockdown is, okay, so let’s just be clear. I don’t think anybody knows what they’re talking about when they talk about a lockdown, myself included. In the first week of August, Neel Kashkari, the president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank and I wrote an op-ed piece in The New York Times that basically said we need to, in the sense, lockdown to drive this infection level to a — a place where we can actually control it with testing and tracing and follow-up that way," Osterholm said.

"And what it would take, however, though, to really deal with the pain and suffering economically, is what we basically proposed, was because the savings rate in this country has gone out of the roof since the pandemic. We have gone from 8% to over 22%. We could borrow the money from ourselves at historically low-interest rates, we could pay people to lose their job, we can pay small businesses and take care of city, state, and county governments if we just elected to do that," he continued. "If Washington could get together and make that happen, that would be a very different kind of lockdown where people wouldn’t suffer and we can get this virus under control."

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, BGleas said:

Just saw an article about a doctor and advisor to Biden thinks the shut down would be the best thing.  He said they could get a big enough bill to pay everyone lost income and help small to medium size businesses up to 6 weeks

@Muckraker Dont be a fool. Stock up, trust me. 👊

Did you not see the run on products the first time?  You seem confused but its coming. And it's going to be epic and surpass the run on TP and other stuff from the first time.

I'm telling everyone right now, at least 75% of Americans are the dumbest sonsabitches alive.  STOCK UP NOW!!  Or wipe your ass with your left hand.  I don't care, that's up to you. But its coming.  

Edited by mrflynn03
Update.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Muckraker Dont be a fool. Stock up, trust me. 👊

Did you not see the run on products the first time?  You seem confused but its coming. And it's going to be epic and surpass the run on TP and other stuff from the first time.

I'm telling everyone right now, at least 75% of Americans are the dumbest sonsabitches alive.  STOCK UP NOW!!  Or wipe your ass with your left hand.  I don't care, that's up to you. But its coming.  

Still been hit and miss at our local Costco on everyday items, such as toilet paper.  Even having a tough time finding stuff at our local grocery store.

Just quickly.... a total shutdown has more ramifications than imaginable.  I could go on and on.  But just one example.   Suicides in our state have gone way up. 

26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Still been hit and miss at our local Costco on everyday items, such as toilet paper.  Even having a tough time finding stuff at our local grocery store.

Just quickly.... a total shutdown has more ramifications than imaginable.  I could go on and on.  But just one example.   Suicides in our state have gone way up. 

I'm not trying to be an alarmist but some have been waiting to make this happen for awhile.  If a certain individual cant pull off a miracle a national lockdown will happen, it wont be piecemeal and the first word of it people will go berserk.

Been 8 months and I still havent seen a store above 1/4 stock of paper products and other sections some are full, others from empty to maybe half stocked. 

If you have time I recommend reading about the Great Reset. I will leave it at that. 

41 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm not trying to be an alarmist but some have been waiting to make this happen for awhile.  If a certain individual cant pull off a miracle a national lockdown will happen, it wont be piecemeal and the first word of it people will go berserk.

Been 8 months and I still havent seen a store above 1/4 stock of paper products and other sections some are full, others from empty to maybe half stocked. 

If you have time I recommend reading about the Great Reset. I will leave it at that. 

Thanks.

Something I found as a positive.  I have a cousin who is in her 80's, and lives in Douglas County, Colorado... South of the mile household. The county is providing her with groceries, free of charge. And delivering to her house... so she does  not have to go out.  In fact, they are providing her with more food in a week than  can eat.  Mrs mile went there yesterday... and took bags of food to deliver to a food shelter.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks.

Something I found as a positive.  I have a cousin who is in her 80's, and lives in Douglas County, Colorado... South of the mile household. The county is providing her with groceries, free of charge. And delivering to her house... so she does  not have to go out.  In fact, they are providing her with more food in a week than  can eat.  Mrs mile went there yesterday... and took bags of food to deliver to a food shelter.

That's great. Since this all started I've been getting extras at the grocery store just to donate to the food pantry or a blessing box a guy down the street puts out. 

• Like 1

If people would just wear the damn masks consistently, avoid indoor crowds, practice social distancing, etc then we wouldn’t need a lockdown of any kind. This isn’t rocket science. Too many people value their own individual freedoms over protecting their community. These next six months are going to be rough. 

We are starting to stock up for the “the hunkering” v2.0. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

If people would just wear the damn masks consistently, avoid indoor crowds, practice social distancing, etc then we wouldn’t need a lockdown of any kind. This isn’t rocket science. Too many people value their own individual freedoms over protecting their community. These next six months are going to be rough. 

It really is a shame. How many times did we hear that the fall is going to be bad? A couple thousand times? And how many times did a huge portion of this country dismiss that prediction (by scientists and experts, no less) as fear mongering, a political ploy, bad information, etc. Unfortunately the predictions came true and we are left in the position of having to take drastic measures once again. All the while we as a county really haven't done any relevant steps toward mitigation other than hoping for a vaccine and hoping the people who didn't believe the scientists would wear a mask/practice social distancing. What happened to contact tracing? There's no contact tracing plan and evidence has been shown by countries who have a handle on this virus that it's crucial. 

Letting this thing run its course was never really an option and we are seeing why right now. Schools are closing, not only because of sick kids, but because they can't get enough staff. Hospitals are filling up again, which forces them to cancel elective surgeries and lose a ton of money. Hospitals are also having staffing issues. And this is all without a lockdown. The government isn't locking us down, we are locking ourselves down. And as a result we are killing our own economy. What's first? The chicken or the egg? I believe chicken is the virus and the egg is the economy. It's not the other way around. As I said in an earlier post: we need to learn to save ourselves from ourselves before we save ourselves from this virus.

Are we really surprised at the situation we find ourselves in.....again? 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

This is where I'm at. If one thing is for certain is lockdowns in the spring didn't help with spikes we've seen in the fall. It's up to us. Not the government. 

With that said I'm starting to load up on things gradually. Little bit at a time. My buddies in Chicagoland are hearing lockdown is coming there as early as this weekend. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s embarrassing that Doctors Without Borders are now looking at us like some third world country. What a farce. 

And I still have relatives that say this is all going away after Nov 3. It’s now the 12th and it’s NOT going away. 

Though we have lost way too many, due to the pandemic.  Rachel Maddow reported when this thing first broke out in our country that by now... 2.2 million people would be dead. 

I agree with you. It's not going away.  That's why I continue to stay inside except to get the paper in the morning and the mail in the afternoon.  May sound crazy.... but, then I wash my hands to "Happy Birthday"...the time I was told to take. 

In fact... I am ordering more "stuff" on line, ever before,  rather than going to the store.  Have another new tv coming this weekend, that I ordered on line.... rather than going to a store to buy it.

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Though we have lost way too many, due to the pandemic.  Rachel Maddow reported when this thing first broke out in our country that by now... 2.2 million people would be dead. 

I agree with you. It's not going away.  That's why I continue to stay inside except to get the paper in the morning and the mail in the afternoon.  May sound crazy.... but, then I wash my hands to "Happy Birthday"...the time I was told to take. 

In fact... I am ordering more "stuff" on line, ever before,  rather than going to the store.  Have another new tv coming this weekend, that I ordered on line.... rather than going to a store to buy it.

I'm not in the business of defending Maddow, but that figure was taken from a London study and it's constantly taken out of context. The study's models predicted 2.2 million deaths IF absolutely no mitigation efforts whatsoever where in place. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm not in the business of defending Maddow, but that figure was taken from a London study and it's constantly taken out of context. The study's models predicted 2.2 million deaths IF absolutely no mitigation efforts whatsoever where in place. 

I am definitely not a follower of Maddow.  Regardless of where she got the info.... she broadcast as if it were a fact.  I have watched You Tube videos of her saying it.  No where did she say anything about mitigation.  Just stated it as a fact.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:21 AM, Leathernecks said:

I know a lot of people are excited about the early vaccine results (with good reason), but there are still a lot of questions to answer before it will be available.

There are only 94 people in the trial who tested positive, so it is a really small amount of people.  It could end up being 90% effective, or it could end up being way less.

They've only released results obtained from testing 1 week after the 2nd shot.  How long is the vaccine going to last?

Are there any lasting side effects?

Is it going to be safe for people who are at high risk?  Those people usually aren't included in the trials.

Is it going to lessen the symptoms if you do get the virus?

The results haven't been published for peer review yet.  We're basically just going off of the companies press release.  Will the trial hold up to scrutiny?

The 90% results are definitely encouraging, but it still has a ways to go.  They're working on answering those questions, but they're still going to have to be answered before the vaccine can be distributed.  Hopefully all those questions get answered soon and they can start moving the vaccine.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, Billingsley99 said:

My question and I feel stupid for not knowing.  If I get the vaccine am I contagious enough to give it to my family.  I want Ayden to get it ASAP but I am worried about the impact on him. Flu shot every year for us is a no Brainerd, covid shot many more questions 

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

4e96df4b-3bd0-4726-8a90-47c91db140e0.png

Astazeneca looks to be the one to keep an eye on. Big capacity, can be stored in refrigerators and 1/10th the cost of Chinas Sinovac

Just listened to this and thought you guys and others would enjoy. I love The Daily because Michael Barbaro is an outstanding interviewer. When he interviews experts, he asks questions from the layman's point of view, so dumb people like me get an understandable explanation. Anyway, today they talk about the Pfizer vaccine and what it means. Turns out that the 94 cases is a pretty high number as far as phase 3 trials go. Of course there are many more questions that @Leathernecks covered above, including a major one: how long will it last? 

Another interesting point they went over is that all the vaccines in trial right now were derived from the same protein (I believe that was the verbiage), therefore, it's pretty likely other trials will have just as successful effectivity rates. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-daily/id1200361736#episodeGuid=gid%3A%2F%2Fart19-episode-locator%2FV0%2FxzVsAwt-KvYqbr08ydP4e_vJki3Ml8s9hDl0xxj60OQ