The Grilling & Smoking Thread

On 2/12/2024 at 8:59 AM, BeerBQ said:

I got some Super Bowl wings on for tonight. Just salted them overnight and put a basically salt/pepper rub on them. The local Publix (we just got one) had some sauces on sale so I grabbed a few of them.IMG_2709.thumb.jpeg.e5655e0bf6f60da987186e54d7e87e23.jpeg

How did they go on the weber? Do they get a bit crispy?

21 hours ago, britt said:

How did they go on the weber? Do they get a bit crispy?

I’ve always had pretty good results with wings on the kettle. If you cook them hot enough they do get crispy. These were indirect at around 450-500. 

• 4 weeks later...

My first go around with a brisket on my (new to me) pellet smoker. Only done a couple in an electric. Yes, I know, a disservice to brisket....

Anyways--- buddy text me last weekend "If I buy a briskey will you smoke it" Told him, yeah sure, if he buys a bag of pellets, too... 

10hrs in the smoker, 8hrs in the cooler, and then about 4 hours in the over at 170 degrees (turning it off and on) to keep the meat at 140. 

Added the fat renderings back on the brisket after taking it off the smoker and after the 8hrs in the cooler. Went this route instead of beef tallow. 

Anyways, it was for a family gathering for my buddys family.. apparently they loved it. I went over there later and had a leftover plate... it was pretty good!! 

Snapchat-2123632810.jpg

Snapchat-1340505302.jpg

Snapchat-1643436898.jpg

371232.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

My first go around with a brisket on my (new to me) pellet smoker. Only done a couple in an electric. Yes, I know, a disservice to brisket....

Anyways--- buddy text me last weekend "If I buy a briskey will you smoke it" Told him, yeah sure, if he buys a bag of pellets, too... 

10hrs in the smoker, 8hrs in the cooler, and then about 4 hours in the over at 170 degrees (turning it off and on) to keep the meat at 140. 

Added the fat renderings back on the brisket after taking it off the smoker and after the 8hrs in the cooler. Went this route instead of beef tallow. 

Anyways, it was for a family gathering for my buddys family.. apparently they loved it. I went over there later and had a leftover plate... it was pretty good!! 

Snapchat-2123632810.jpg

Snapchat-1340505302.jpg

Snapchat-1643436898.jpg

371232.jpeg

That looks phenomenal. How big was that brisket?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

That looks phenomenal. How big was that brisket?

Mmmm... I didn't look. 

It rendered down quite a bit. More so than in an electric one. Which, I understand is a good thing. 

Good time. Loved doing it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, btownqb said:

Snapchat-2123632810.jpg

Snapchat-1340505302.jpg

Snapchat-1643436898.jpg

371232.jpeg

How did you do the rendered fat? I’m pretty that is all tallow is. 
The final product looks solid. It has a good bark and smoke ring and doesn’t look dry. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

How did you do the rendered fat? I’m pretty that is all tallow is. 
The final product looks solid. It has a good bark and smoke ring and doesn’t look dry. 

Grabbed the trimmings.. put them in the oven on 400, in a pan... 

Timed that with when the brisket would need them, adding them twice more during the warming part... 

Brisket was ready to come off the grill at 2AM... coolered until about 11AM.. I added renderings then.. had to keep warm until 4pm. I don't have an industrial warmer, like a restaurant would have... oven on 170, more renderings, added wirless thermometer around noon.. around 3pm the brisket was at 142... took it off, little more renderings.. wrapped back up and took it to my buddies. He lives 5 mins away. 

In a perfect world... it would have been coolered until about 7AM--- little more renderings, checked temp.. and served at 8AM-10AM. 

On 3/10/2024 at 10:57 PM, btownqb said:

Grabbed the trimmings.. put them in the oven on 400, in a pan... 

Timed that with when the brisket would need them, adding them twice more during the warming part... 

Brisket was ready to come off the grill at 2AM... coolered until about 11AM.. I added renderings then.. had to keep warm until 4pm. I don't have an industrial warmer, like a restaurant would have... oven on 170, more renderings, added wirless thermometer around noon.. around 3pm the brisket was at 142... took it off, little more renderings.. wrapped back up and took it to my buddies. He lives 5 mins away. 

In a perfect world... it would have been coolered until about 7AM--- little more renderings, checked temp.. and served at 8AM-10AM. 

Sounds like you just made your own tallow. I’ve seen some people buy the special wagyu stuff, but I’m not convinced it makes much of a difference. 
The long hold is a key that a lot of the big bbq places do. I don’t think the method matters as long as it is held in the 140-160 range. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:20 AM, btownqb said:

Snapchat-2123632810.jpg

Snapchat-1340505302.jpg

Snapchat-1643436898.jpg

371232.jpeg

You used a GD long, serrated bread knife to cut that, didn't you? ......

That's all I got. I'm hungry for anything now.

.... A freaking bread knife? commy.  

26 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

You used a GD long, serrated bread knife to cut that, didn't you? ......

That's all I got. I'm hungry for anything now.

.... A freaking bread knife? commy.  

My friend cut it. I dropped two different cutting knifes off to him. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Doing some oxtails for the week. I smoked them for about an hour then moved to a pan with some beer, seasoning, and peppers. It is supposed to be based on pepper stout beef. 
IMG_2828.thumb.jpeg.45cbec4ff933f900dd728e4c37ecd17d.jpeg

Looks awesome. Where did you oxtail?  Been wanting to try that forever. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 10:58 PM, pinkroync said:

Looks awesome. Where did you oxtail?  Been wanting to try that forever. 

I usually get it at farmers markets. I’m pretty sure this batch is from 2 different farms that I got from different markets. 

On 3/17/2024 at 4:21 PM, btownqb said:

So badass

Here is the final product. I do oxtail and tongue the same way most of the time; smoke to get bark and color, braise to get tender, shred and keep on heat to reduce liquid. IMG_2834.thumb.jpeg.45277e048aa4fe089000336084e54142.jpeg