Jump to content

Most enjoyable DRIVING roads you drove on.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

 

images (1).jpeg

That brings back memories. Used to have a civilian job driving all over Ft. Benning in a truck. At least twice I could tell there was an Apache practicing their targeting on me. I just thought I'm glad I could help them practice. 

_____________________________________________________________

So the above post in the coronavirus thread reminded me of one of the most enjoyable DRIVING roads I ever drove on, Cactus Rd on Ft Benning. One of the roads where an Apache was tracking me,  8 miles of high speed 4 wheel drive JOY! Remember taking a new employee out to teach him the route and when we got to the beginning of the road, I asked him if he had any back problems? He said no, I said tighten up your seat belt!

Honorable mention!

The road to Hanna on the island of Maui!

Driving at night through the Rockies from Kansas to Aspen!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Drroogh changed the title to Most enjoyable DRIVING roads you drove on.
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Blue ridge parkway. Traveled a road once that went from Durango to Gunnison Colorado.  Passed by neatest little town called Silverton and through Ooray.  Cant remember the road number though.

An interactive map of the least traveled roads in each state.  Just the way I like my roads, empty. Link

Most Incredible Road to Drive in each State. Been on several of these! https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/the-most-incredible-road-to-drive-in-every-state/ss-BB156k6N?OCID=ems.display.wel

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

That brings back memories. Used to have a civilian job driving all over Ft. Benning in a truck. At least twice I could tell there was an Apache practicing their targeting on me. I just thought I'm glad I could help them practice. 

_____________________________________________________________

So the above post in the coronavirus thread reminded me of one of the most enjoyable DRIVING roads I ever drove on, Cactus Rd on Ft Benning. One of the roads where an Apache was tracking me,  8 miles of high speed 4 wheel drive JOY! Remember taking a new employee out to teach him the route and when we got to the beginning of the road, I asked him if he had any back problems? He said no, I said tighten up your seat belt!

Honorable mention!

The road to Hanna on the island of Maui!

Driving at night through the Rockies from Kansas to Aspen!

 

Shout out to Fort Benning. Where I took my OCS infantry training during the Viet Nam War.  No question. The most beautiful entry to any Fort I was ever sent to.

Great topic thread.

Been to Maui. And the road. Wonderful

Bringing it back to Indiana.  Always enjoyed traveling U.S. 30 from Indiana into Ohio to visit my sister.  Many memories of driving that stretch going through small towns and seeing the lights and such on the way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Highway 72, west of 93 through the mountains toward Nederland. In my Saab turbo convertible with the top down in the summer. Once when my daughter was young, I took her and her friend with me to stake out a campsite north of Nederland.  As we were going through this portion I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw the girls in the back seat with their hand up like on a roller coaster.

F8997770-2FE4-4B64-8177-729C0F62E99C.thumb.png.bdd840a83b0561a96ef613d5bd701840.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteveS said:

Highway 72, west of 93 through the mountains toward Nederland. In my Saab turbo convertible with the top down in the summer. Once when my daughter was young, I took her and her friend with me to stake out a campsite north of Nederland.  As we were going through this portion I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw the girls in the back seat with their hand up like on a roller coaster.

F8997770-2FE4-4B64-8177-729C0F62E99C.thumb.png.bdd840a83b0561a96ef613d5bd701840.png

OHHH Yeah!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Highway 72, west of 93 through the mountains toward Nederland. In my Saab turbo convertible with the top down in the summer. Once when my daughter was young, I took her and her friend with me to stake out a campsite north of Nederland.  As we were going through this portion I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw the girls in the back seat with their hand up like on a roller coaster.

F8997770-2FE4-4B64-8177-729C0F62E99C.thumb.png.bdd840a83b0561a96ef613d5bd701840.png

Been there. Done that. And forgot about that.

Have you ever done the drive to South Park. Not the same. But due to  the show ? Just to say I have been to the real South Park.

My son is friends of the creators of South Park. And continues to remain contact with them to this day.

Edited by milehiiu
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Been there. Done that. And forgot about that.

Have you ever done the drive to South Park. Not the same. But due to show ? Just to say I have been to the real South Park.

Yes, when I first moved here my wife and I spent a lot of time just driving in the mountains and camping. We didn’t have much money back then and it was a really cheap getaway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Yes, when I first moved here my wife and I spent a lot of time just driving in the mountains and camping. We didn’t have much money back then and it was a really cheap getaway.

Hey Steve. If you or any other HSN member ever gets a chance. Take in the highest suspension bridge in America.  South of Pueblo, Colorado. When I first got to Colorado, it was open to cars. Now... only for walking over 1,400 feet over the Arkansas river. It's breathtaking.

 Royal Gorge bridge crossing 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd thing, I have one of THOSE roads that starts a mile away from where I live. GA 190. For some reason I have always enjoyed the road, but never really tested it? Maybe I'm getting old! Have come up on a couple of Harleys that crashed on a curve and offered my assistance. Another time I was out hiking and the Sheriffs department had closed the road. Recognized the voice of a deputy friend of mine and went out to find out what happened. He said there had been a motorcycle crash and somebody had to be airlifted!  Turns out there is an S curve in the road that seems to generate the crashes. Going one direction is where the big bikes crash, going the other direction is where the rice rockets crash. Seems there is actually on line somewhere postings of peoples best times for going end to end across FDR State Park here in Ga. I hear the rice rockets quite often!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Memory fading. Memory fading. But there was a road I believe North of B-town. Ran along side of the highway. That wound through some wooded areas. Which were spectacular in the fall when the leaves were changing. Plus the road on the other side, with the Starlite drive in theater ( I believe that was the name) had a great drive back to B-town as well.

Edited by milehiiu
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

A drive I like to make sometimes in Indiana is hwy 550 between Shoals and Bedford.  Hilly, lots of curves and takes you through a little town called Williams and the old hydroelectric dam and covered bridge on the white river.

https://youtu.be/VMF5iiBk870

 

Beautiful video. Which leads me to wonder how many covered bridges are left in Indiana. Like the one I used to visit in Brown County when I was a student,  back in the dark ages.

 Bean Blossom Covered Bridge, Brown County Indiana

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of drives along coasts in CA, Florida,etc....and of course throughout the South/Mountains. One of the more enjoyable drives I had though actually a day drive while in Vegas. Went North on 15 to Valley of Fire State Park. Absolutely beautiful, sunrise to sunset....the rocks, the quiet and colors. If ever in Vegas for fun....most casinos will rent you a car for a day for like $50. Take a drive up there and hike....come back pass Lake Mead. You won't be disappointed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few.

Most incredible road I ever drove was the Icefields Parkway in Canada. Jaw dropping. Incredible sights- Mountains, Glaciers, Lakes, Waterfalls, Wildlife that goes on for hours.

https://travelwithbender.com/travel-blog/western-canada/icefields-parkway/

Highway 1 in Alaska- especially South of Anchorage along the Turnagain Arm. Hard to focus on the road when the whales are out!

Michigan SR 22 along Lake Michigan. This is the drive for the fall.  Brown County roads come in second for fall drives.

Highway 89 through Yellowstone NP. Have pics of being first in line at a Bison jam.

Arizona 89A near Sedona was great desert driving.

Everglades Parkway was memorable. Perhaps because it was foggy and I was clenching the steering wheel not wanting to go off the road. 

Speaking of foggy drives, I took a day trip to Kaui and went to see some attraction. Never saw it. Just followed taillights of the car in front of me on winding mountain roads. That was a waste of a day.

Lastly, I went to Kitt Peak observatory west of Tucson a few years ago. Because of the observatory, you cannot have your headlights on within a few miles of the observatory. At the end of the program, the have a pace vehicle lead you down and you follow the string of cars down the mountain road in the dark. Wife did not like that one.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Highway 98 near Seaside, FL... 

Highway 90 from Minnesota, across French Island over to La Crosse, WI is beautiful in the fall

And the aforementioned Brown County... Was a regular at the Bill Monroe Bluegrass Festival for years... Awesome place for a motorcycle ride too... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...