Jump to content

Herbstreit says no football this fall


Andy06
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/kirk-herbstreit-nfl-college-football-coronavirus-concerns/1sxqrvbw4mw1y1r23atjsyckw0

I hope he is wrong.   It's bad enough to lose the big dance, potentially an entire baseball season. 

If this is still bad enough in the fall that we can't have a football season,  then we have bigger problems as a country than missing more sports. 

The economy would be completely shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/kirk-herbstreit-nfl-college-football-coronavirus-concerns/1sxqrvbw4mw1y1r23atjsyckw0

I hope he is wrong.   It's bad enough to lose the big dance, potentially an entire baseball season. 

If this is still bad enough in the fall that we can't have a football season,  then we have bigger problems as a country than missing more sports. 

The economy would be completely shot.

Absolutely nothing would surprise me at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/kirk-herbstreit-nfl-college-football-coronavirus-concerns/1sxqrvbw4mw1y1r23atjsyckw0

I hope he is wrong.   It's bad enough to lose the big dance, potentially an entire baseball season. 

If this is still bad enough in the fall that we can't have a football season,  then we have bigger problems as a country than missing more sports. 

The economy would be completely shot.

Herbstreit has always been one of my favorites because for the most part he's a straight shooter and knows the game. This however is so off it seems almost odd coming from him. The idea of talking about anything (especially in absolutes) five months from now just doesn't make any sense. Opinions will vary on peak virus time, recovery,etc....but I've heard no one (besides him) even mention something as extreme as this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d stick with what the experts say, the Fauci’s et al.

One common problem with people who are successful in one field, especially celebrities, is that they often think they should opine about everything in other fields.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Actors or baseball players with high school education blathering about policy is another example.  

i am not saying he ends up right or wrong, just that he’s not qualified to be the voice of anything on this topic. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Good read and thanks for posting. I'm sure it's hard to do (mostly because of TV/travel/finals/logistics,etc...) but seems to me we have several weeks between our last game (November 28th) and when bowl season starts....December 26th is first Big 10 bowl.

I know it's not as easy as just saying push everything back 2-3 weeks but we do have that empty part of the schedule for every team in the Big 10 who isn't playing in conference title game. Even at that point we could have Big 10 title game (scheduled now 12/5) moved to 12/19 or 12/26. Or another option is pushing schedule back and take advantage of 30 days when all schools are done for winter break. Again...not the most advantageous for students attending games but an option to explore. 

If the fear is bringing the kids back early....only way I see is a combination of pushing back schedule 2-3 weeks to take advantage of time between last conference game and bowl season. Every P5 conference I'm assuming could do the same. For once though TV needs the sport as much as the colleges do. Usually TV tells the colleges here's the deal. Finally the schools might have some leverage and say you need us as well....you'll need to accommodate all of these schedule changes/conflicts,etc...

Just bored and rambling I guess. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Really wouldn't surprise me. Just as IU football is trending up.  Typical Hoosier bad luck. 

I'm actually concerned next year could be disappointing, after what we experienced this year. Harder conference schedule, and we haven't exactly had a great offseason. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm actually concerned next year could be disappointing, after what we experienced this year. Harder conference schedule, and we haven't exactly had a great offseason. 

You think next year's conference schedule is more difficult? We get Maryland/Penn St/Michigan St/Purdue/Illinois all at home. We aren't on Ohio St level so it doesn't matter yet where we play them. Rutgers is a mess so I'm glad we get them on the road next year. To me this schedule along with nonconference games makes schedule easier. Whole key is Penix being healthy. I think Henderson will be back.

Vegas has us o/u at 7.5 wins which has to be the highest starting line for us in 25+ years. I see 8 wins barring injuries pretty easily with another trip to Florida in store come bowl season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm actually concerned next year could be disappointing, after what we experienced this year. Harder conference schedule, and we haven't exactly had a great offseason. 

I'm going to have to disagree about not having a good offseason.  We had a few loses, but we upgraded a handful of positions.  Not to mention, we bring back a ton of starters on both sides.  I might have missed someone, but here are 95% of the things from this offseason.

  • Lost DeBoer, replaced with Sheridan
    • I would definitely count that as a loss.  I'm a big Sheridan fan, but DeBoer left some real big shoes.
  • Lost Ballou/Rhea, replaced with Wellman
    • Not a loss.  Wellman has had a ton of high level NFL players speak out on his behalf.  He's being pitched to recruits, and is getting a lot of positive reviews already.  Cooper Jones talked about him being one of his reasons for his signing here.
  • Lost Hagen, replaced with Peoples
    • I was never a Hagen fan.  We couldn't get a pass rush with our DL for the last few years.  Peoples emphasizes that.  Confident he'll be a good recruiter as he's already helped bring in Jones.
  • Lost Inge, replaced with Teegardin
    • Special teams was a huge disaster Inge's first year there.  Last year was a little better, but I'm sure part of that was because Allen had more time to help out there.  Teegardin has been a special teams coach before, so it can't be any worse.
  • Lost Teegardin, replaced with Jones
    • Definitely an upgrade.  I thought our safety play has been underwhelming the last couple years. Safety play last year was definitely hampered by our crappy pass rush, but I think they should have played a lot better.  Jones has a good track record, and I see that as an upgrade.  I think Crawford's senior year which was Teegardin's first, there was some disappointing safety play.  Haven't been that impressed with him in his 2 years.  Like I said, DL shares some blame so not trying to put it all on Teegardin, but I think Jones will be much better.
  • Brought in Wright to coach TE
    • He has major connections in Indiana and in Florida.  The two areas we recruit the most.  He's going to be a huge recruiter for us.
  • Lost Ramsey
    • Obviously a loss, but we all knew it was going to happen.  We still have Tuttle to back up Penix.  Even though Tuttle hasn't had any playing time outside of the end of a few blowouts, he was an elite QB coming out of high school.  He's got tons of talent, so it isn't like we have Diamont and Covington as out backups this year.
  • Lost Cronk
    • Seemed clear that we weren't going to bench Bedford and risk him leaving.  Most people say that we wanted to move Cronk to LG and he wanted to stay at LT so he transferred.  We have Bedford to replace him, and brought in Powell as a grad transfer.  Maybe a loss since we haven't seen Powell play, but Powell has time at guard, and he likely has 2 years remaining.  We should have a pretty good OL this year.
  • Hendershot still up in the air
    • Probably not an offense that will get him kicked off the team.  Few game suspension and everybody moves on.
  • Brought in Swann
    • Excellent DL player.  Had 5.5 sacks last year.  Going to be a big help with our pass rush.
  • Commits from the #5, 8, and 12 players in the state in a year when there is a lot of in state talent.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

You think next year's conference schedule is more difficult? We get Maryland/Penn St/Michigan St/Purdue/Illinois all at home. We aren't on Ohio St level so it doesn't matter yet where we play them. Rutgers is a mess so I'm glad we get them on the road next year. To me this schedule along with nonconference games makes schedule easier. Whole key is Penix being healthy. I think Henderson will be back.

Vegas has us o/u at 7.5 wins which has to be the highest starting line for us in 25+ years. I see 8 wins barring injuries pretty easily with another trip to Florida in store come bowl season.

I think our schedule is a little harder just because we add Wisconsin.  Last year we had 9 games outside of the top 4 (OSU, PSU, Mich, Wis).  We had a one game buffer where we could lose one we probably should have won.  This year we won't have that.  We only have 3 wins against the top 4 in the last 27 years.  That means to get to 8 wins we either need to go perfect against the other 8 teams, or knock off one of the top 4.  Definitely doable to get to 8 again, but we don't have any margin for error this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think our schedule is a little harder just because we add Wisconsin.  Last year we had 9 games outside of the top 4 (OSU, PSU, Mich, Wis).  We had a one game buffer where we could lose one we probably should have won.  This year we won't have that.  We only have 3 wins against the top 4 in the last 27 years.  That means to get to 8 wins we either need to go perfect against the other 8 teams, or knock off one of the top 4.  Definitely doable to get to 8 again, but we don't have any margin for error this year.

Wins-WKU, Ball St, UConn, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, 

50/50-Penn St, Michigan St (both home and Sparty we had beat up there last year)

Losses-At Ohio St, at Michigan, at Wisconsin 

Maybe the optimistic side of me but I see 8....and a chance to steal one of the other 4 with Home Penn St, at Wiscy, at Michigan, at Ohio St (in that order of likelihood). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wins-WKU, Ball St, UConn, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, 

50/50-Penn St, Michigan St (both home and Sparty we had beat up there last year)

Losses-At Ohio St, at Michigan, at Wisconsin 

Maybe the optimistic side of me but I see 8....and a chance to steal one of the other 4 with Home Penn St, at Wiscy, at Michigan, at Ohio St (in that order of likelihood). 

I'm probably going to predict us to win 8 again, but Illinois, Purdue, and Maryland aren't for sure wins (I know you aren't saying they are).  Even if we have a 75% chance in all of those games, there's only about a 50/50 chance that we win all 3 of those.  Somebody better with statistics could run those numbers.

I think MSU is better than 50/50 that we win, and I think PSU is worse than 50/50.  Until we beat those top 4, I am still skeptical.  With Wisconsin this year, we can't afford a mistake anywhere else on the schedule like we had against MSU last year.

That said, if Penix stays healthy, who knows.  He could come out on fire against Wisconsin and put them on the ropes early, and we could start off 7-0 heading into our game against PSU.

If I was putting money down on the over/under of 7.5, I really don't know which side I'd pick.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm probably going to predict us to win 8 again, but Illinois, Purdue, and Maryland aren't for sure wins (I know you aren't saying they are).  Even if we have a 75% chance in all of those games, there's only about a 50/50 chance that we win all 3 of those.  Somebody better with statistics could run those numbers.

I think MSU is better than 50/50 that we win, and I think PSU is worse than 50/50.  Until we beat those top 4, I am still skeptical.  With Wisconsin this year, we can't afford a mistake anywhere else on the schedule like we had against MSU last year.

That said, if Penix stays healthy, who knows.  He could come out on fire against Wisconsin and put them on the ropes early, and we could start off 7-0 heading into our game against PSU.

If I was putting money down on the over/under of 7.5, I really don't know which side I'd pick.

Definitely close....but I like the idea of Vegas saying 6 wins is no problem and making people choose between 7 and 8. Wisconsin is obviously very good...but if we have to play them I'd rather play them in week 1 with departures they've had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Definitely close....but I like the idea of Vegas saying 6 wins is no problem and making people choose between 7 and 8. Wisconsin is obviously very good...but if we have to play them I'd rather play them in week 1 with departures they've had.

And it (hopefully) guarantees we go into the game healthy.  They lost Taylor and their best WR, so that will be a big hurt to their offense.  I'm sure they have another RB waiting who will probably rush for 1500 yards this year like they always do, but I don't know who it is.

I don't think Coan is that good either.  Similar style to Ramsey, but I would give Ramsey the edge.  We really need to get a lead early and make him throw the ball.  Last year in their 10 B1G games plus the bowl game, he threw only 11 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.  I don't know how well he'll hold up to not having Taylor to rely on this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s a theory floating around that college football gets postponed until the spring semester with a championship game around Memorial Day.  

Under that scenario, the NFL might then proceed without fans but with player testing.  They’d try to make up some revenue by expanding their time slots to include Friday night and Saturday night.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There’s a theory floating around that college football gets postponed until the spring semester with a championship game around Memorial Day.  

Under that scenario, the NFL might then proceed without fans but with player testing.  They’d try to make up some revenue by expanding their time slots to include Friday night and Saturday night.  

I just don't see that scenario working out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...