Jump to content

Kareem says MJ is NOT the greatest College basketball player of all time!


Recommended Posts

That poll had such a recency bias.  UCLA had won two consecutive NCAA's. . . then this happened:

"The 1965–1966 UCLA Bruin team was the preseason #1. On November 27, 1965, the freshman team, led by Lew Alcindor, defeated the varsity team 75–60 in the first game in the new Pauley Pavilion. Alcindor scored 31 points and had 21 rebounds in that game although the defeat had no effect on the varsity's national ranking."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965–66_UCLA_Bruins_men's_basketball_team

The varsity wasn't even the best team on the campus.  Alcindor's freshman team won their games by an average of 57 points.  Their closest games they only won by 28.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-11-27-sp-5543-story.html

In 3 years, Alcindor won 3 NCAA championships.  He only lost two games those 3 years.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

As for college he was not the best ever.  This thing ESPN was a joke and some of the seeding was horrible.  They had Jay Williams as a 6 seed but had Alford as a 15 seed is all that should tell you how bad this thing was.

You’d think Alford would be much higher for sure, but there’s nothing wrong with Jay Williams being higher than Alford. Williams had a pretty stellar career at Duke. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

The most laughable thing in that article is Shaq "edging out" Kareem...

That ain't even close as far as rating college players based soley on their college careers...

Kareem would have the edge in their pro careers as well, at least in my eyes...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some things make me wonder. Today the 3pt shot is so important...And championships are won on the backs of your guards....back in the day almost every championship ran through your center and a dominant skilled center was so rare. Stuff makes me wonder..in today’s modern nba with such elite athletes would MJ be able to constantly get to his spot he wanted on the floor and score at will...would someone like Chamberlien be able to avg 50 with so many talented athletic bigs out there. With Kareem you have this unstoppable shot...you couldn’t defend it....so yes...in my mind...greatest in college. Bird, Magic, Jordan all certainly up there...heck look at how many points Pistol Pete scored...not sure where he ended up but this was just a name game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Imagine if Alford had the 3pt line for all 4 seasons.  He’d be in the top 5 all time. Probably would have the big ten scoring record instead of CC too.  He was that good. 

You are right, he shot 53% from three for the year

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Imagine if Alford had the 3pt line for all 4 seasons.  He’d be in the top 5 all time. Probably would have the big ten scoring record instead of CC too.  He was that good. 

 

4 minutes ago, Cutter said:

You are right, he shot 53% from three for the year

Alford was an absolute stud at IU.  His game, unfortunately did not translate to the pro level and hasn't really translated into an elite college coach, but you can never question how good he was at IU.  He was an all-time top-10 player, IMO.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

If there's any person who can say "Jordan, get out of my seat!", it's definitely Kareem... even for the best NBA player of all time. 

As a Celtics fan you know this pains me to say, but it really is a shame how Kareem virtually gets ignored in the "best player ever" discussion in the NBA. The guys resume stacks up with anyone that's every played the game, but he gets overshadowed because he was a center (the NBA is all about the guards and wings now), Magic had the personality, and Kareem hated the media. But, his numbers and resume definitely put him in the "greatest of all time" discussion. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As a Celtics fan you know this pains me to say, but it really is a shame how Kareem virtually gets ignored in the "best player ever" discussion in the NBA. The guys resume stacks up with anyone that's every played the game, but he gets overshadowed because he was a center (the NBA is all about the guards and wings now), Magic had the personality, and Kareem hated the media. But, his numbers and resume definitely put him in the "greatest of all time" discussion. 

Even though I never had the privilege of watching him in college (other than highlights) I still think one of my all time favorites and definitely needs to be in this discussion, is Bill Russell!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Even though I never had the privilege of watching him in college (other than highlights) I still think one of my all time favorites and definitely needs to be in this discussion, is Bill Russell!  

You’re preaching to the choir there!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kareem’s college career was before my time but his numbers and success speak for themselves.  

You and me both. That's why I'm just the audience for this one :D  Feel the same way about the numbers though! 

Better question might be was MJ even a better college player than  all of his UNC teammates? 

I would also think considering collegiate year US Olympic play before the professional era would be more relevant than having their NBA careers in mind in a conversation about best college players. 

 

Edited by jblaz13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

 

You and me both. That's why I'm just the audience for this one :D  Feel the same way about the numbers though!

I would also think considering collegiate year US Olympic play before the professional era would be more relevant than having their NBA careers in mind in a conversation about best college players. 

 

I am at the opposite end of this spectrum.  Watched Lew Alcindor when he was in high school.  His high school team.... Power Memorial... was the talk of the nation. And it was unusual at that time to have national tv networks carry a high school game. Which during the time that Alcinder was there, went 79-2 overall. And at one time had a 71 game win streak.

He was still known by Alcindor, when he boycotted the 1968 Olympics.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2020 at 7:23 AM, IUFLA said:

Agree...using college careers, there are at least 10 better...

Kareem

Bill Walton

Patrick Ewing

Quinn Buckner

Christian Laetner

David Thompson

Danny Manning

Bill Russell

James Worthy

Ed Pickney

Just off the top of my head with a championship in mind.

There are multiple guys that had better college careers but never won a championship.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Kareem

Bill Walton

Patrick Ewing

Quinn Buckner

Christian Laetner

David Thompson

Danny Manning

Bill Russell

James Worthy

Ed Pickney

Just off the top of my head with a championship in mind.

There are multiple guys that had better college careers but never won a championship.

Jerry Lucas?

National Champ (61)

3 Final 4s

2X POY

3X All American

He's gotta be top 5 based on his 3 years...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...