Jerome Hunter Progress

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Also saw some video showing TJD shooting and hitting 3's so if these two guys improve it could be a very good season.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also saw some video showing TJD shooting and hitting 3's so if these two guys improve it could be a very good season.

Not just from the cheap seats.  But, TJD shot 68.5% and Jerome shot 75% from the charity stripe last season.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not just from the cheap seats.  But, TJD shot 68.5% and Jerome shot 75% from the charity stripe last season.

With how often TJD gets to the line it would be nice if he brought that percentages up to around 73 percent.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Some of those guys he was playing against did not look to be in college basketball shape. Liked to see he was comfortable being aggressive though. 

68.5% for a freshmen big that made maybe 1 shot outside the paint all season is actually pretty remarkable IMO. Going forward, I'd take TJD making anywhere in the low 70's as a free throw percentage and be super happy with that. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

68.5% for a freshmen big that made maybe 1 shot outside the paint all season is actually pretty remarkable IMO. Going forward, I'd take TJD making anywhere in the low 70's as a free throw percentage and be super happy with that. 

Absolutely 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I was trying to be realistic because most players especially big guys don't shoot 75+%

ok, i can appreciate that.  I have always been a big proponent of hitting free throws.  No reason at all in my opinion why they can't.  Can practice those at any time without wearing yourself out.  

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

ok, i can appreciate that.  I have always been a big proponent of hitting free throws.  No reason at all in my opinion why they can't.  Can practice those at any time without wearing yourself out.  

I know we had this discussion last week about you thinking we should shoot 75 percent ad a team.  I looked back as A team IU had only done that 6 times since 1975.

Whenever the topic comes around to free throw shooting.  Many times I bring up the name.  Virgil Sweet.  Head coach at Valparaiso high school for 20 years.  Who's TEAMS, not individuals consistently shot 70% or better from the free throw line. Coach Sweet's 1963-1964 TEAM shot 79.2 % of their free throws during the entire season.... setting a national record.

Coach Sweet had a 20 point system on how to properly shoot a free throw.  And even wrote a book on it.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know we had this discussion last week about you thinking we should shoot 75 percent ad a team.  I looked back as A team IU had only done that 6 times since 1975.

I would shoot (no pun intended) for 70% as a team.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i really don't want to see TJD shooting 3s

I don't either, but then again look at the damage that MD's Smith did to us @ AH. And he's a true 5.

With our overall talent coming in, and returning guys getting better (Like Hunter, and Franklin) we don't need Trayce jacking them up from downtown.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i really don't want to see TJD shooting 3s

I don't see why not if he can get in the over 35% range...

Opens up the floor for everybody...as @DWB said, Smith, and add Garza, Tillman, and Reuvers to that and we've seen what it can do... 

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Opens up the floor for everybody...as @DWB said, Smith, and add Garza, Tillman, and Reuvers to that and we've seen what it can do... 

i go through cycles of fighting this fight with people.  i realize in today's game everyone wants and needs to shoot the 3.  i'm not saying it's wrong to improve his range.  i'd just like to see him mainly stick with what he's good at and i definitely don't want to see him taking a lot of 3s and missing most of them in games in an attempt to show the NBA he can shoot outside.  admittedly i am old school and hate the new style of play.  

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i go through cycles of fighting this fight with people.  i realize in today's game everyone wants and needs to shoot the 3.  i'm not saying it's wrong to improve his range.  i'd just like to see him mainly stick with what he's good at and i definitely don't want to see him taking a lot of 3s and missing most of them in games in an attempt to show the NBA he can shoot outside.  admittedly i am old school and hate the new style of play.  

Right there with you. Get better at everything and be great at what you are already good at.

13 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I hear you...I'm not in love with it either, but it's today's game...

I saw how much more dangerous it made Garza even at 36% (he was 29% as a sophomore)...I already thought he was a good player, but that made him really hard to guard...and he's not nearly the athlete TJD is...

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Whenever the topic comes around to free throw shooting.  Many times I bring up the name.  Virgil Sweet.  Head coach at Valparaiso high school for 20 years.  Who's TEAMS, not individuals consistently shot 70% or better from the free throw line. Coach Sweet's 1963-1964 TEAM shot 79.2 % of their free throws during the entire season.... setting a national record.

Coach Sweet had a 20 point system on how to properly shoot a free throw.  And even wrote a book on it.

It was easy to identify those players from the Valpo area based on their FT technique 

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Plus, if TJD wants to up his draft stock he’s going to need to improve that shot. I don’t see CAM denying him that opportunity to do so.

Archived