Investing

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't think reopening is going to move the needle very much. The regal is already open here in Carmel and last Friday there were about 12 cars at 7:00 p.m.

If anything they're losing money by having the doors open with staffing and that small of crowd. 

I think traditional theatres are on their way out with streaming and direct to services movies. Amazon just bought MGM and even ROKU is doing original content now. 

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not to mention you can pick up a 70-in TV for 500 bucks now

Not to mention Hollywood cranks out 100 crap movies for every 1 that's  even marginally good...

So unoriginal anymore too...they just remake movies with overdone computer special effects and expect people to watch it...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not to mention Hollywood cranks out 100 crap movies for every 1 that's  even marginally good...

So unoriginal anymore too...they just remake movies with overdone computer special effects and expect people to watch it...

At least in my case, I dont even know what new movies are coming out anymore. Most of the stuff I stream is commercial free so I rarely see advertisements for anything. 

I spend alot less now though. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't think reopening is going to move the needle very much. The regal is already open here in Carmel and last Friday there were about 12 cars at 7:00 p.m.

If anything they're losing money by having the doors open with staffing and that small of crowd. 

The day that NYC mayor said movie theatres would be open again AMC jumped 20%. Not discounting your point...but you might be underpricing the reopening as well. 

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think traditional theatres are on their way out with streaming and direct to services movies. Amazon just bought MGM and even ROKU is doing original content now. 

That's the thing though. Movie theatres drive the salaries of Hollywood. The first 40-50 days is huge $. I get the streaming stuff...I really do. I'm also saying the first window of a new movie is really, really big $. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing though. Movie theatres drive the salaries of Hollywood. The first 40-50 days is huge $. I get the streaming stuff...I really do. I'm also saying the first window of a new movie is really, really big $. 

I was probably thinking too local. I have to drive 45+ minutes to get to an AMC for example.  Within that radius are smaller or independently owned theatres and most are going or have went out of business.

Would really like to see a resurgence in drive ins. There are a few around and I like the experience better. Couple chairs and a cooler in the bed of the truck is a nice way to watch a movie. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 6:29 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I was probably thinking too local. I have to drive 45+ minutes to get to an AMC for example.  Within that radius are smaller or independently owned theatres and most are going or have went out of business.

Would really like to see a resurgence in drive ins. There are a few around and I like the experience better. Couple chairs and a cooler in the bed of the truck is a nice way to watch a movie. 

Somewhat not the topic, BUUUT. In my last move (hopefully) there is a small independently owned drive in 2 minutes away. An older couple bought it a few years ago and are doing a great job putting it back to it's glory days. The youngest daughter and grand son just went and enjoyed it Saturday night. PACKED !

I think 70% of the 30 year olds around here were conceived there! It's like a full circle thing. :) Who says ya can't go home?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Somewhat not the topic, BUUUT. In my last move (hopefully) there is a small independently owned drive in 2 minutes away. An older couple bought it a few years ago and are doing a great job putting it back to it's glory days. The youngest daughter and grand son just went and enjoyed it Saturday night. PACKED !

I think 70% of the 30 year olds around here were conceived there! It's like a full circle thing. :) Who says ya can't go home?

No kidding...the ONLY reason I wanted a driver's license when I was 12 was to be able to go to the drive in...

And that's before I knew about the residual benefits...😁

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I've been there...

And there use to be a bridge you could watch it from...

Of course, you missed the dialogue 😯

I guess I should explain this a bit further...

It was kinda a rite of passage for Martinsville teen aged guys to go over and see the XXX drive in in Ellettsville...It was a creepy place...

One time was plenty for me...

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 5:21 PM, Seeking6 said:

The day that NYC mayor said movie theatres would be open again AMC jumped 20%. Not discounting your point...but you might be underpricing the reopening as well. 

If it was me, I'd be looking to sell. When the hedge funds sell because they think it is overvalued, it is probably a good sign to follow.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amc-shares-soar-after-company-raises-230-million-in-stock-sale-11622571307?mod=markets_lead_pos6 

16 minutes ago, Reacher said:

If it was me, I'd be looking to sell. When the hedge funds sell because they think it is overvalued, it is probably a good sign to follow.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amc-shares-soar-after-company-raises-230-million-in-stock-sale-11622571307?mod=markets_lead_pos6 

New type of investors out there. Shareholders took what Mudrick did  stood up against which is pretty amazing....it's up another 28% this morning. What Mudrick did was just be exposed to the old school way of some of the hedge funds. Privately owning and after you sell your position they dump on it public because they probably shorted after their sell.

Regarding today though. I have no clue what I'm going to do. These sorts of plays are the antithesis of the type of investing I do. Every time I pick a number to sell some shares....it blows right past it. 

Edited by Seeking6

LOL...AMC is so overvalued.  It's a pure momentum play at this point.  Nothing fundamentally supports the price.  I wish put options were affordable. (Haven't looked...but assume they are ridiculous.)

...on the other hand, it has more intrinsic value than crypto.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...AMC is so overvalued.  It's a pure momentum play at this point.  Nothing fundamentally supports the price.  I wish put options were affordable. (Haven't looked...but assume they are ridiculous.)

Im not dialed in on amc like i was following gme.  What i was told by my nerd friend is the hedgies haven't covered their shorts yet and to hold.  Sure it has gained momentum and i have zero clue if it will mirror what gme did, which was jump to like 500 and then tank down to 49 and last i looked its back to 271.  

• Like 1

80% of AMC is owned by retail investors: https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2021/amc-caters-to-retail-shareholders/

Through social media and reddit, those investors are aligning.  The retail investor crowd is becoming, effectively, a decentralized hedge fund.

The hedge funds are still smarter, but I'm not sure it's a true statement any longer to say they're more wealthy or more powerful.  The power in the retail investors is if they can align and stick together.  If they can, short squeezes are absolutely possible.

The unspoken underbelly of this is that while a lot of retail investors will win, some will absolutely lose their shirts.  But that's kind of the point of the stock market as a whole, right..?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

80% of AMC is owned by retail investors: https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2021/amc-caters-to-retail-shareholders/

Through social media and reddit, those investors are aligning.  The retail investor crowd is becoming, effectively, a decentralized hedge fund.

The hedge funds are still smarter, but I'm not sure it's a true statement any longer to say they're more wealthy or more powerful.  The power in the retail investors is if they can align and stick together.  If they can, short squeezes are absolutely possible.

The unspoken underbelly of this is that while a lot of retail investors will win, some will absolutely lose their shirts.  But that's kind of the point of the stock market as a whole, right..?

This.

AMC is a technical play proven by sound judgement and reason. You still have 18-19% of FF (Free Float). This thing is going to be bumpy but setting up for those already in as a nice pop. Felt bad for the panic sellers today that went from $62 to $38 and sold....while watching it rise back up to $55 range at close.

52 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im not dialed in on amc like i was following gme.  What i was told by my nerd friend is the hedgies haven't covered their shorts yet and to hold.  Sure it has gained momentum and i have zero clue if it will mirror what gme did, which was jump to like 500 and then tank down to 49 and last i looked its back to 271.  

Your friend is correct. Still much more room to move up if you can stomach the ride. 

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Put options are available and depending on what reasonable price is to each person have at it. As a shareholder I beg you to buy puts. Please. 

PS...I agree that AMC isn't worth this price.....but that's not what the strategy or play is. Market manipulation has been going on by the insiders for decades....whole new world out there with the retail gang. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Put options are available and depending on what reasonable price is to each person have at it. As a shareholder I beg you to buy puts. Please. 

PS...I agree that AMC isn't worth this price.....but that's not what the strategy or play is. Market manipulation has been going on by the insiders for decades....whole new world out there with the retail gang. 

I get that it's a classic short squeeze and I applaud the little guy fighting back, but at some point...shew...

I just looked.  A December 2021 $50 put is $29(!!!)  It may well be a winner but yikes, that's expensive.  Just as I suspected...the put option market for a stock trading at 10X it's 12 month consensus target is sky-high.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I get that it's a classic short squeeze and I applaud the little guy fighting back, but at some point...shew...

I just looked.  A December 2021 $50 put is $29(!!!)  It may well be a winner but yikes, that's expensive.  Just as I suspected...the put option market for a stock trading at 10X it's 12 month consensus target is sky-high.

Yep. I think I mentioned a page earlier. These type of plays are the exact opposite of everything I believe in but it's a new world and we need to adjust with it. Funny part is AMC isn't even close to what I think it can peak at with the FF at 18%. 

Fun stuff to play with and discuss.