Investing

Really tempted to buy on this dip, but we’re pretty set for stock holdings right now. Definitely not as fun to check balances these last couple of weeks, but that’s how the game is played. 

Not going to lie though, I’m laughing my ass off at the crypto meltdown. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 5:00 PM, Lostin76 said:

Really tempted to buy on this dip, but we’re pretty set for stock holdings right now. Definitely not as fun to check balances these last couple of weeks, but that’s how the game is played. 

Not going to lie though, I’m laughing my ass off at the crypto meltdown. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. 

I’m lining up a re-entry for the next few weeks also. Plenty of blood in the streets, but what to buy? The perpetual question. 

12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’m lining up a re-entry for the next few weeks also. Plenty of blood in the streets, but what to buy? The perpetual question. 

I usually just keep shoving money into Apple. Not very imaginative, but it’s worked so far. 

Hard to time these things obviously. I’ve always just kept plowing money in at regular intervals. But very tempting to go on a buying spree right now. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:25 PM, Lostin76 said:

I usually just keep shoving money into Apple. Not very imaginative, but it’s worked so far. 

Hard to time these things obviously. I’ve always just kept plowing money in at regular intervals. But very tempting to go on a buying spree right now. 

We've always done that. When in doubt. Buy Apple. Been doing since 2007 so no reason to change now. Otherwise...still sitting on the sidelines. Still to many unknowns just to buy right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We've always done that. When in doubt. Buy Apple. Been doing since 2007 so no reason to change now. Otherwise...still sitting on the sidelines. Still to many unknowns just to buy right now. 

I do feel like this is the one time where I am also thinking “too many unknowns.” The world, especially the US, seems a bit precarious right now. I’m happy to hold onto cash right now, though our 401K and IRA stuff is still business as usual. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Also going to start adding to my loot of physical silver and maybe some fractional gold pieces. Makes me feel like a pirate. 

Talk to @IUFLA. Rumor has it, this was his wife-

Silver: Buyer of "Up To a Billion Dollars" in Eagle Coins Emerges

There is a story circulating of a Texas, female, billionaire who has purchased a large amount of Silver Eagles, and intends to buy more. This was disclosed by coin dealer Andy Schechtman of Miles Franklin Precious Metals  who reportedly filled her order. No-one has as of this writing yet ascertained the veracity of the claim.

As market participants in the space for some time, We assume there is truth to the recent buys as stated by the speaker with a touch of hyperbole on the potential future buys as relayed from the customer. Otherwise, who can know?

We have seen this before, and chances are so have you. The order was likely real and had probably distorted silver premiums for months due to the supply crunch. Subsequent orders are not a given but may happen. The two phrases listed above are very specific and designed to make a genuine statement without putting the speaker at risk. The speaker to our knowledge is a reputable professional with a keen understanding of the implications.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

There is a story circulating of a Texas, female, billionaire who has purchased a large amount of Silver Eagles, and intends to buy more. This was disclosed by coin dealer Andy Schechtman of Miles Franklin Precious Metals  who reportedly filled her order. No-one has as of this writing yet ascertained the veracity of the claim.

As market participants in the space for some time, We assume there is truth to the recent buys as stated by the speaker with a touch of hyperbole on the potential future buys as relayed from the customer. Otherwise, who can know?

We have seen this before, and chances are so have you. The order was likely real and had probably distorted silver premiums for months due to the supply crunch. Subsequent orders are not a given but may happen. The two phrases listed above are very specific and designed to make a genuine statement without putting the speaker at risk. The speaker to our knowledge is a reputable professional with a keen understanding of the implications.

Only "Silver" she would buy is The Lone Ranger's horse...

And I'm afraid they don't hold value 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Dang, I just want to fill a 20mm ammo can. Maybe 2 or 3.... 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Now that I have a decent chunk in my HSA I'm looking to invest in something relatively low risk.  Any suggestions on where to begin looking?  Also, should the change in the FEDS interest rates affect investment decisions?  

So you can move your hsa money into another hsa account that has fund options.  The city automatically puts mine in Key bank hsa.  For years they had no investment options and was like a . 0005 rate of return.  A financial buddy talked to me about treating it like an investment account and not touch unless extreme emergency.  So i researched and settled on The HSA authority because they are linked up with Old National bank(local branches) and I can transfer money back and forth.  I forget how many fund options i have but I'm in the most aggressive I can get at this point.  

31 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So you can move your hsa money into another hsa account that has fund options.  The city automatically puts mine in Key bank hsa.  For years they had no investment options and was like a . 0005 rate of return.  A financial buddy talked to me about treating it like an investment account and not touch unless extreme emergency.  So i researched and settled on The HSA authority because they are linked up with Old National bank(local branches) and I can transfer money back and forth.  I forget how many fund options i have but I'm in the most aggressive I can get at this point.  

My hsa has all the same fund options as my 401K. I didn't realize until recently it is like another retirement account with some extra perks. If I make it past 65 anyway. 

I was thinking possibly a 60/40 mix of stocks and bond funds. 

48 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My hsa has all the same fund options as my 401K. I didn't realize until recently it is like another retirement account with some extra perks. If I make it past 65 anyway. 

I was thinking possibly a 60/40 mix of stocks and bond funds. 

Oh got you I can't really help you with fund advice.  We do pay all of our medical bills out of pocket for the most part and I'm trying to grow this sucker like an investment account. One thing that we do though is keep all of our receipts because at any point you can pay yourself back and so in that case it is sort of like a extreme emergency fund that I can tap into. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 1:55 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Fidelity’s HSA can be treated as a regular brokerage account. Stocks, options, mutuals…anything is on the table. 

Any of you guys/gals on here in South Florida by chance? We are starting our 2nd round of initial stages of looking at places in SW Florida. Family has places in Naples but those are out of the price range. Looking for an area or areas that appear to be close to up and coming....in that general area but we know it has to be inland,etc...

We had a place picked out near Naples in December of 2019. Nothing flashy just a 2BR/2Bath on a course to start building some equity and rent out the rest of the year. Problem is that place has now doubled plus 50% in price inside of 30 months.

If anyone knows of areas I would appreciate the heads up. 

Tempted to get a part time job and try to max out my Roth. With what they are paying for some these days it's probably doable. With 4 days off a week I've got the time. Could knock a few years off my retirement age. 

Moved my rollover IRA into Fidelity Healthcare Select fund and I'm going to let it ride. It's a small part of my portfolio with no new contributions going in. Could payoff nicely.  

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Tempted to get a part time job and try to max out my Roth. With what they are paying for some these days it's probably doable. With 4 days off a week I've got the time. Could knock a few years off my retirement age. 

Moved my rollover IRA into Fidelity Healthcare Select fund and I'm going to let it ride. It's a small part of my portfolio with no new contributions going in. Could payoff nicely.  

Depends on how much you value your time (both now and in retirement). I always do the math of what an hour of my time is worth to me, and don’t think there is a PT job that pays that. It would have to be something I really love - like working in a garden center or a bike shop. 

But then again, I don’t have the days off in a row like you do. That’s a consideration. 

• Like 1

I haven’t been paying too much attention to the markets lately - tend to do that when the news is bad. 

But Apple finally looks like it’s back on the upswing. We have a TON of Apple stock, so a $5 move in a day is a big deal to us. It’s been a big deal in the wrong direction for several weeks lately. 

18 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Depends on how much you value your time (both now and in retirement). I always do the math of what an hour of my time is worth to me, and don’t think there is a PT job that pays that. It would have to be something I really love - like working in a garden center or a bike shop. 

But then again, I don’t have the days off in a row like you do. That’s a consideration. 

Low COL area helps alot. PT jobs paying 12+ an hr are everywhere. 

I interviewed Wednesday for a job at a furniture company I worked at before building office furniture. I can work anywhere from 8-29.75 hrs at $17/hr. 6a-2p shifts. 

Carpentry is something I enjoy. Even if it is just build by the numbers. 

Have a phone interview with Kohls today for that clothing discount. 

$200/wk would be $10k extra in my Roth. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Low COL area helps alot. PT jobs paying 12+ an hr are everywhere. 

I interviewed Wednesday for a job at a furniture company I worked at before building office furniture. I can work anywhere from 8-29.75 hrs at $17/hr. 6a-2p shifts. 

Carpentry is something I enjoy. Even if it is just build by the numbers. 

Have a phone interview with Kohls today for that clothing discount. 

$200/wk would be $10k extra in my Roth. 

Oh, building furniture would be a good PT job. Love building things.

I would want to do something with my hands, since my real job is all mental and responsibility. 

Just make sure you save some “me time.” 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I did that. I retired early from my real job two years ago. For the past year I've been working about 20 hours per week in a fishing tackle store about 5 minutes from my house. Have learned a lot (mostly about saltwater fishing), get a decent employee discount and it gets me out around people (for better or worse). 

I maxed out my Roth IRA last year and will do the same this year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I did that. I retired early from my real job two years ago. For the past year I've been working about 20 hours per week in a fishing tackle store about 5 minutes from my house. Have learned a lot (mostly about saltwater fishing), get a decent employee discount and it gets me out around people (for better or worse). 

I maxed out my Roth IRA last year and will do the same this year. 

If you don’t mind me asking, how old were you when you decided to pack it in? 

I will do the same thing - retire from the real job but work a couple of days each week somewhere. My wife is 11 years younger than me, so she doesn’t plan to retire for awhile. I just turned 54, so I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I had thought 55 would be the target, but now I’m thinking 57.

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, how old were you when you decided to pack it in? 

I will do the same thing - retire from the real job but work a couple of days each week somewhere. My wife is 11 years younger than me, so she doesn’t plan to retire for awhile. I just turned 54, so I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I had thought 55 would be the target, but now I’m thinking 57.

I was 59. I had already decided by late 2019 that I would retire in June 2020. Then COVID hit and made the decision even easier. We moved from Indiana to sunny FL. Best decision we ever made. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I was 59. I had already decided by late 2019 that I would retire in June 2020. Then COVID hit and made the decision even easier. We moved from Indiana to sunny FL. Best decision we ever made. 

Nice! And good to har it’s working out.

Not sure I can hold out that long. I know a lot of people worry about “being bored” in retirement, but I have so many things I want to do and don’t have time for now. Am really looking forward to it.